Been offered a manager job in London advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz!!

Reaction score
Hi all.
I currently rent a room in a hairdressers it will have been open a year in feb.
I was offered a job today at a salon in at kathrines dock in London as a manager

Pay will be £20,000 including comition £16 basic. And they will pay my travel cost which amounts to £4000

My beauty room is currently making only about £300 a week then I give rent maximum of £85 and have to take stock out of that to.

It's not earning much but partner earns well so not needed as such.

I would be completely in charge of staff and training. And be the solenoersob in charge if the running of the salon reporting to the owner who comes in once a week.

I don't know what to do do you think this is ok money converting the salons location and that it's a manager job.

Wot would you do advice needed please.
Charlie x

I would advise you to consider the whole picture, not just the money. My first thought is how much travelling would you have to do and what does the journey entail?

Hi it's about 1 hour 30 mins on a train quite straight forward. Train station 5 min walk from salon x

For me, 3 hours travelling a day would count it out, especially if there are late nights involved. However, that's just me and I don't want to send negative vibes.
By the way congratulations on being offered the job - meant to say that before! x

I would be really flattered to have been offered this position but I wouldnt want it as I'm not a career person, I like what I do, and like you my partner is a high earner so I am lucky not to have financial pressures. I have children that I need to be there for when they come home from school or are ill or on school hols, if you work for yourself its a bit easier to arrange for these things. Also 3 hours is a fair amount of traveling every day, I used to go into central London 2 or 3 times a week and it wasnt pleasent when your feet are killing you and there's no where to sit!
BUT .... If I was miles younger, no children to have to run after then I would be tempted. Dont be tempted to rush or be pushed into making a decision.

I'm 22 with no children and no plans to have any soon.
I think that it would be very good experience in running a salon and after doing it a while I could better run my own salon plus with the pay I could save more money so I could open a salon instead if renting a room in a few years. It would be nice to earn my own money again instead of relying on my partner for everything. But I worked so hard getting my room up and running x
X

I would pat yourself on the back for being offered the job but that journey will be a killer......even if the trains run on time. Think long and hard. xx

I think the money sounds good but the journey sounds very hard. I used to work in an office in St Katherines Dock but we moved out. There are not many people based there so I dont know how busy you will be. But if your basic is very good then this wont be your problem I guess.

Talk to them honestly about why they have the vacancy, then you might get some more insight in to whether this is the right role for you or not.

I'm 22 with no children and no plans to have any soon.
I think that it would be very good experience in running a salon and after doing it a while I could better run my own salon plus with the pay I could save more money so I could open a salon instead if renting a room in a few years. It would be nice to earn my own money again instead of relying on my partner for everything. But I worked so hard getting my room up and running x
X

I think you have answered your own question here! it seems that you really want to go for this!

you will soon get used to the travel - i drove from wirral - manchester (bout 1 1/2 hrs each way) everyday for a job i loved and it never bothered me!

Good luck which ever way you go!
:cool:

This sounds like a fab opportunity hun; like you say would be great experience for you. Know what everyone's saying about the journey but I commute just over 3 hours a day all week for my day job (on top of college every saturday and a bit of mobile here and there lol) and, whilst it is tiring, you soon get used to it. To be honest I've been doing it 3yrs now and I don't even think about it anymore; actually find the chance to sit down for an hour and a half each way quite handy to read my book, paint my nails or have a snooze :lol:. Whatever you decide, congrats on the offer!! xx

Feel my pain I travel from surrey to Kensington and my parents who own it do an 1hour 50mins travel I've seen the stress it's put on me and family with all our London based salons we own. I always said the pay wasn't relevant it was the journey that killed me and If it was up to me and i had the choice to take a mass pay cut and work somewhere nearer I would. Well done though for having an opportunity though. Really think carefully because your really gonna feel the tiredness set in at 2pm ish and the clients your gonna be having in are going to be spending big bucks and they're gonna want you super alert for what there paying. There will be no room for mistakes with lucrative clientele walking through the door. On the positive side theres the money and that status that you work in the capital and that'll pretty much get you a fab reference and look great for your cv.

Hi just an update. I took the job on January. Its going ok. Have a lot less contact with owner that I thought I would which has positives and negatives.
I can pretty much do what I like. Only have to ask when I want to buy something otherwise not much contact with them. Finding staff rather stressful very hard to get them do do things like cleaning. As they are set in their ways.
Spend a lot of time paining their own nails. But I'm getting their. overall enjoying it I have more money now but it goes just as fast lol. If anyone has any little tips they would like to share that would be great x x

Latest posts

Back