Being sued

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilylily

Reaction score
Has anyone been sued and found out the results of the action.
I was sued by a lady because she said we had burnt her daughters skin from an eyebrow wax. I gave all the available information
To my insurance company and have heard nothing since, this was over 2 years ago. My hairdresser was also sued 5 years ago and has not heard the outcome, I wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

I was sued by a lady because she said we had burnt her daughters skin from an eyebrow wax. I gave all the available information
To my insurance company and have heard nothing since, this was over 2 years ago. My hairdresser was also sued 5 years ago and has not heard the outcome, I wondered if this has happened to anyone else.
Have you contacted your insurer?

If she threatened to sue for a burn and you passed everything onto your insurance company, it's highly likely that they paid her off. It's much cheaper for insurance companies to offer payment to drop an action than to pay a legal team to defend it, even if her chances of success are low, sadly. That's one of the reasons we're heading towards a blame and claim culture.

Why not ring your insurance company and ask?

I cannot imagine that you would not have been contacted if the case had gone to court. They would need you to attend to give evidence if the case went to trial. I assume this is what you mean by someone successfully suing?? That they would go to court and win the case? I think the previous posters are right that the insurer will have dealt with it, either by frightening them off with a solicitor's letter, fighting the case before it got as far as court so that the claimant backs down and drops the case, or by paying them compensation if they thought there was a risk they would lose if it went to court.

Lately, insurers are moving towards a 'fight everything' model of working - they're much less likely to quickly pay off claimants than they used to be. Cheap contracts for volume legal insurance work mean that sending things to the lawyers to fight is usually the cheapest option initially - whereas ten years ago insurers would settle negligence claims quickly, they are now much more keen to fight them. The tide is very much turning against the 'blame and claim' culture - insurers don't like it any more than the man in the street!

I am pretty sure a judge would take a dim view of hearing a case concerning a potentially negligent hairdresser/beauty therapist in the absence of direct oral evidence from the person concerned. Although cases can take time to get to court it is likely it would have been resolved by now. But why not just ring them and check?

There's a three year window after the date of the incident for the court papers to be served. However if you haven't heard from your solicitor recently, I'd chase it up with them and see what the last correspondence from the other side was.
Good luck

let us know what happens, what all information did you have to supply to insurance company?

I remember a post on here from someone who was sued but the insurance company never notified them that they had paid out to the customer

They found out years later I think it was

Latest posts

Back