Best friends and business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSnails

Reaction score
So I currently work for my best friend in her beauty salon, she specalises in hair and is always fully booked! I am new to nails and want to put myself on a spray tan course aswell as a brow course, the only problem is she said if I do I can't advertise it outside of the shop as I will be taking custom away from her.

I get that I can't just be beating all her prices and taking customers but I feel like I should be able to advertise on my own Facebook page. I want to offer fake Bake and her salon doesn't currently offer that as they use omg, my tan would be more expensive than she charges in her shop so I'm not under cutting her or anything.

If you employ staff do you let then advertise as mobile when they are not in work?

Also when she took me on she told me I would be working full time hours and I'm only getting 28 which means my money is already down. I just don't want to fall out with her but I always want to improve my skills and make this. Lifelong career and earn some money!

Any advice would be great!

I am in a very similar situation. Although I cannot shed any light on your question I would like to know what people say on the matter as I need advise also.

My boss asked me to come work for her after she turned me down because I do beauty in a beauty room at the gym and said I was competition so she couldn't have me work for her. She then came back to me a few months later and said she doesn't mind about my other job and asked if I would do some hours. She then said that she wanted me full time and still said it was fine that I was at the gym doing beauty.

She trained me in massage as we had lost our massage therapist and she needed me trained up fast so I agreed, the same went for lash lift and other treatments. She gave me certificates for these two things and my others as she was scared I would do a runner with them, all she asked was that I pay £20 each for the certificates. I thought this was a fair deal. I never asked for the training or certificates so I thought this was great.

However my hours have been dropped dramatically after only being there a few months. I started advertising outside the gym and she didn't like this at all. My hours are not set to go up anytime soon and I need to earn a wage. My partner can only work part time due to being in a wheelchair after a bike accident and we would struggle a lot if I only rely on these hours. I love working for her but I need to put mine and my partners needs first. I definitely want to continue working for myself at the gym and have just spent money on marketing materials. My boss won't let me be on the books whilst I'm working for myself, and now wants the full fees for the training certificates. I'm thinking his would be about £300. My wages this month were already cut in half due to less hours and she's asked me to either pay the £20 for certificates and put it in writing that I will not do massage at the gym or I pay the full amount. The thing is I have never signed anything, I'm self employed and have never signed a contract with her. I'm happy to give her the £40 which she originally asked for but feel £300 (could be more) is too much as I've never had a full days training with her and trained myself in massage pretty much and she assessed it. I don't know what to do.

Can anybody give me advise on this. I don't want to fall out with her but want it to be fair. She has asked for the money because she didn't expect me to be doing more at the gym so soon. But I had no choice to find work elsewhere due to her dropping my hours.

I feel like everything she said in my interview is now untrue as she is not happy about doing my own thing after saying it was all ok.

Sorry for the long thread.

Any help would be great. X

I am in a very similar situation. Although I cannot shed any light on your question I would like to know what people say on the matter as I need advise also.

My boss asked me to come work for her after she turned me down because I do beauty in a beauty room at the gym and said I was competition so she couldn't have me work for her. She then came back to me a few months later and said she doesn't mind about my other job and asked if I would do some hours. She then said that she wanted me full time and still said it was fine that I was at the gym doing beauty.

She trained me in massage as we had lost our massage therapist and she needed me trained up fast so I agreed, the same went for lash lift and other treatments. She gave me certificates for these two things and my others as she was scared I would do a runner with them, all she asked was that I pay £20 each for the certificates. I thought this was a fair deal. I never asked for the training or certificates so I thought this was great.

However my hours have been dropped dramatically after only being there a few months. I started advertising outside the gym and she didn't like this at all. My hours are not set to go up anytime soon and I need to earn a wage. My partner can only work part time due to being in a wheelchair after a bike accident and we would struggle a lot if I only rely on these hours. I love working for her but I need to put mine and my partners needs first. I definitely want to continue working for myself at the gym and have just spent money on marketing materials. My boss won't let me be on the books whilst I'm working for myself, and now wants the full fees for the training certificates. I'm thinking his would be about £300. My wages this month were already cut in half due to less hours and she's asked me to either pay the £20 for certificates and put it in writing that I will not do massage at the gym or I pay the full amount. The thing is I have never signed anything, I'm self employed and have never signed a contract with her. I'm happy to give her the £40 which she originally asked for but feel £300 (could be more) is too much as I've never had a full days training with her and trained myself in massage pretty much and she assessed it. I don't know what to do.

Can anybody give me advise on this. I don't want to fall out with her but want it to be fair. She has asked for the money because she didn't expect me to be doing more at the gym so soon. But I had no choice to find work elsewhere due to her dropping my hours.

I feel like everything she said in my interview is now untrue as she is not happy about doing my own thing after saying it was all ok.

Sorry for the long thread.

Any help would be great. X

As a rule of thumb in business you never employee people that are competing against you... and potentially you are doing just this. Your boss needed someone quickly to cover the therapist that she lost and I believe you were the quickest bet. She has been a little underhand with her thoughts I must say but I fully understand why she will not employ you. Why would she pay your wages and you potentially take her clients away (I'm not saying you would but there is potential to do so). She won't want to pay for your training and then you offer the service at the gym this is why she has asked you to sign. It was a silly thing for her to do on her part.

I employed a team member in my hair salon, contracts stated no working outside hours unless agreed..and a lot more beside! Behind my back she had started her own business in hairdressing, with a full website and facebook page - told her clients that came to my salon what she was doing, took Saturdays off to do wedding hair, done some clients in the evenings- the day I found out was the day she was gone....I am confident to this day she still can't work out what she had done wrong! I have no problem with people trying to succeed...but not on the back of me....the solicitors letter have been sent. I know this is not quite what you are saying and your boss was fully aware...although to be fair her alarm bells should have been ringing at this point.

She has put herself in this position, which to you seems a little unfair, but ultimately her business is more important to her than you...you could potentially bring her business to its knees. She was unfair to do this to you in the beginning - she should have thought a little harder.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I can see why she is worried about me stealing her clients as anyone would have the same fear. I would too if I were in her shoes, but I would never treat her like that and I wouldn't want my clients feeling like I stole them from her bad mouthed. I like to be as professional as possible.

I understand why she can't have me work for her anymore but I don't understand why she said it was ok in the first place.

Thank you x

Thank you for your reply. I can see why she is worried about me stealing her clients as anyone would have the same fear. I would too if I were in her shoes, but I would never treat her like that and I wouldn't want my clients feeling like I stole them from her bad mouthed. I like to be as professional as possible.

I understand why she can't have me work for her anymore but I don't understand why she said it was ok in the first place.

Thank you x

Probably like I said she needed someone in a hurry and you were her best bet. She has done this all wrong in my eyes, but in business this is what happens....just remember there are no friends in business and equally no emotion... I hope you get sorted quickly.

I've learnt the hard way best friends and business do not work. Always read through contracts (more importantly always have a contract) so if something like this was to happen you both had a understanding of it. I found my ex business partner had been doing salon clients outside of work AND "taking" products home to do it - bloody cheek so essentially taking clients from our own salon and pocketing the money for herself

I've learnt the hard way best friends and business do not work. Always read through contracts (more importantly always have a contract) so if something like this was to happen you both had a understanding of it. I found my ex business partner had been doing salon clients outside of work AND "taking" products home to do it - bloody cheek so essentially taking clients from our own salon and pocketing the money for herself

It makes you mad I must admit....what a cheek...!!..more to the point how very stupid that doesn't make any sense whatsoever...but people do turn greedy and this is the result.

I don't have a contract 'yet'. I would never say to people in the shop to come to me instead, I just want to advertise for new people, mobile where I will travel to them. It's just hard because she has really helped me out and I feel I need to do more to make more of a living!

I don't have a contract 'yet'. I would never say to people in the shop to come to me instead, I just want to advertise for new people, mobile where I will travel to them. It's just hard because she has really helped me out and I feel I need to do more to make more of a living!

I understand what you mean, when you have a skill such as beauty or hairdressing you want to be able to utilise your talent and skills to make more money (as would anyone) I worked for a lovely salon who's owners totally understood that their stylists would be doing hair outside of salon hours they trusted us enough that we wouldn't be doing salon clients (they even had a wholesalers where we brought products) I think because of that trust none of us ever did try to take clients from them. On the other hand the last salon I was employed at pretty much thought they owned us and told us not to do mobile work even though none of the stylists lived in that area.
Maybe if you both could sit down and talk you will be able to see each others point of view and address them without the need for a big fall out

Yes I think its pretty standard for employers not allowing their staff to be mobile or work outside of work. Hence why alot of places offer friends & family discount.

I started up mobile whilst part time in a salon & part time carer. I live 9.2 miles away from the salon but ive cut my hours drastically slowly over the past 2 years. & Im now not as flexible (or skint for that matter) & by the end of November Il be leaving my salon job completely.

I have done what I had to do for myself, to give myself a better career & better pay. Not once have I pinched a client or told them im mobile as that was never my intention.

As lovely as my employer is, I cant live on part time money forever. They have 4 part time girls & we have a high staff turnover because of this.

Its more awkward for you with it being your best friend :(

Xx

I understand, but your best friends is already starting to work it out.. how can you advertise for clients for your own business when you are employed by her. It doesn't make sense. ..you are competing against her regardless of what brand of fake tan you both use....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I think its pretty standard for employers not allowing their staff to be mobile or work outside of work. Hence why alot of places offer friends & family discount.

I started up mobile whilst part time in a salon & part time carer. I live 9.2 miles away from the salon but ive cut my hours drastically slowly over the past 2 years. & Im now not as flexible (or skint for that matter) & by the end of November Il be leaving my salon job completely.

I have done what I had to do for myself, to give myself a better career & better pay. Not once have I pinched a client or told them im mobile as that was never my intention.

As lovely as my employer is, I cant live on part time money forever. They have 4 part time girls & we have a high staff turnover because of this.

Its more awkward for you with it being your best friend :(

Xx

Good to hear that you were respectful with their clients....however, I may be wrong here, but did you ever tell them you were mobile??

Good to hear that you were respectful with their clients....however, I may be wrong here, but did you ever tell them you were mobile??
No, I have told her I do friends & family outside of work as it would be a 30-40 mile round trip for most of them, so wouldn't make the journey for a tan etc. She pulled her face but agreed she would just go somewhere closer, for the sake of saving fuel over discount given.

Xx

Wow, that's crazy. As far as I'm aware, here in Australia, unless it's in a contract, they can't ask you not to work outside your hours. Particularly if it's only part time work. If they do ask you to sign a contract, there needs to be some sort of compensation like more hours or higher pay, because you're at a loss for not being able to work a full week.

Latest posts

Back