Best/Worst training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk25

Reaction score
Hi
I have just opened a beauty academy and want to make it the best business I possibly can....

So my question is.. What made your course you attended the best or the worst?

apart from the obvious e.g knowledgeable teachers, great products etc

Here's what made my experience the worst:
Dirty, filthy, disgusting facilities
Classroom in the basement of the building, doing acrylics with no ventilation, not even a single window!
Broken equipment
Not enough manicure tables
Only one UV lamp for a class of 12
One efile for a class of 12
Teacher sat at her desk and played with her phone while we butchered each other.
Being given outdated or false information.
We got large OPI kits which was nice, although I switched to CND shortly thereafter.

As I'm currently in training I've found one of the things that has really put me at ease is the tutors, not only are they knowledgeable like you said but also they were really friendly, which relaxed me so much, and whilst I was practising gel extensions they were chatting away to me such as a normal client would, so created the right atmosphere that you would like to work in. also if i had any questions they knew all about it even if they didnt exactly show me they explained it which i was happy about, because having asked the questions i already knew about it slightly just wanted some advice which they happily gave. they have also been so health and safety concerned which makes you feel safe and know they take it seriously too is good. hope this has helped

The worse for me was the very first course i attended, they didn't advise me on where i was going wrong just said "you'll get it one day" i never knew what i was doing once i left and when i rang for help once i had left the never got back to me.

The best experience for me was when i re-trained with Hand & Nail Harmony learning acrylic again. The tutor was really helpful, answered all my questions, and made sure i understood everything before we moved on. I'm so please with everything that i'm now looking at other courses with them and always tell people to train with them x

Thanks thats really helpful, I just want to be the best I can

I have picked up a few things by trying out some courses myself just want it to be perfect :)

I always look for courses that have small classes. A class of 6 students to 1 tutor is a lot better than a class with 12 or more! More 1-1 help available etc

I did beauty level 2 on a fast track i think it was 16 weeks, so i was sceptical, however I loved my training, it was a wonderful experience.
I was immediately put at ease by being invited in to the salon for a one to one with the tutor/ owner, shown around and met the staff, also the tutor had the students in together so we could meet (there was only 4 of us), and we talked about what we wanted to gain from our training.
It's the little things that made a difference such as having toast and tea. In the morning together before class.
It allowed us students to bond before we practiced treatments on each other.
Obviously the level of knowledge and professionalism from the tutor was the most important!
I went on to work in the salon for 6 months after qualifying which was wonderful experience.
I did all my training for hair extensions after my beauty course at the same salon.

Hi im new to all this, does anyone know of beauty courses in the Newcastle area tbat dont break the bank? Im a single unemployed mother. I was thinking along the lines of spray tanning, body wraps and massage. Thank you :)

I always look for courses that have small classes. A class of 6 students to 1 tutor is a lot better than a class with 12 or more! More 1-1 help available etc

I totally agree with this, this is one of the things I learned when doing the day courses for research myself

The spray tanning one had 12 students and it was far to many, I found I didnt want to ask as many questions as I would of liked for fear of holding up the class

I did a brow and lash course with only 6 of us and it was much better and I left feeling that everyone seemed confident.

I have also had the idea of running a FREE workshop every couple of months where students can come back for a hints/tips session and bring a model with them in case they need further assistance in any area

Im not saying all wont be covered on the course day, but just for reassurance to some and knowing we will still be on hand

Do you think this is a good idea? x

Thanks for all your input geeks x

I think that's a brilliant idea. After training sometimes you get a bit stuck and will have practiced enough to think of further things you'd like to ask.

Good luck :)

I think if you use your own experiences, in the training you have done yourself, it helps.

I too have just set up a new training school focusing on smaller groups but wanted the premises to be comfortable so have spent a bit more on them than I wanted to. I want students to talk about their experience when they leave me and want them to want to come back. It is important to show them how a salon can be set up too. I see too many 'training schools' set up in rooms that are obviously not properly furnished or appropriate.

The knowledge of the trainer is obviously very important also and their skill and aftercare of the student. I also think using quality products important rather than the cheapest stuff you can get your hands on. Often the student thinks they are doing something wrong rather than it being the product that is just not up to the job.

Make it a lovely, enjoyable and informative experience for your students, set in an appropriate and well furnished salon and you will do very well.

Good luck with your new venture my darling, I hope it goes well for you!:)

Thank you this is what I was debating whether to set up like a classroom or more like my beauty rooms, every course I went on was more like a classroom, so big help there :) x

Latest posts

Back