Bikini area help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass

Reaction score
Hi all, please can someone offer me some advice. I've never done anything with my bikini area. I don't have a great deal of hair down there so am lucky I guess but what I do have is dead straight and long now (hangs head). I don't know what to do.
What do most girls do with their bikini areas?

I am just starting out on my first serious relationship and we have waited to have sex. Obviously I don't want him seeing me au naturel as it were. So what do I do?
I quite like the idea of a Hollywood if I am honest. But I am embarrassed at going somewhere but very much doubt I could do it at home - or anything to do with my bikini area really.
Just say I went and had it done on Friday how long would it be before that area would look "presentable"?
Would I have to do anything to the area beforehand, like trimming? Any advice anyone can offer me would be great please. Either here or PM. I am a bit desperate now.

What should I have done? What is the most popular right now?

Thank you

Trim, Brazilian (dont like completely bald personally) leave a day or two as it may be a bit sore, Defo go to a salon and try not to be too embarrassed, they don't care they've seen it all before! Good luck!

Thank you Debs.

Is Brazilian the most popular do you think?

How long/short do I trim please?

Thank you for the encouragement but I think I will be very embarrassed still.

If you don't want to go to a salon you could shave it, i've always done this and i personally don't feel right unless its completely hair free. If you get a good razor and some shaving gel and do it the same day it will look fine :) other than that i would say trim it to about 1cm, go to a salon, get them to do a brazilian then see what it looks like and if you don't like it you could always ask them to take it all off x

How much or little you leave is personal preference and how you feel about it. if you go to a salon you dont have to be embarassed as that is what they do for a living and trust me no one looks at anything other than the direction of hairgrowth, the wax and the skin :O))

When you go for it you are going to find that you feel much better afterwards and try and keep it up every 4-6 weeks as it gets much easier and the skin will get smoother over time also :O)

I am a convert to waxing! I use to shave as it was pain free & im a wimp lol, but after the first wax it really doesnt hurt as bad, plus ive been shaving for years so my hair was thick.

If i could turn the clock back id have never shaved & just waxed. It lasts so much longer!

Again personal preference about what treatment you want done. But just get the therapist or receptionist to confirm what a hollywood / Brazilian actually means in their salon.

Also as said above, no need to be embarrassed we are all the same!

Xx

I trim with a beard trimmer (it's exactly the same as a ladies trimmer, except they're pink and more expensive). If you go too short it can leave it a bit spiky, which is fine if you're having it all removed, but I personally have sides waxed, top waxed and then a strim (best done sitting over the loo LOL)

If you want all off, I'd recommend waxing over shaving. It lasts about 3 weeks with it growing back softly in time to wax at 4 or 5 weeks. Shaving would usually need doing every other day and grows back stubbly and spiky.

Don't be embarrassed, for a waxing therapist this is an everyday occurrence, they aren't going to blink an eye. Only the first time is scary, but then you know exactly what to expect.

If you decide to leave some hair then I would recommend the trimmer as was previously mentioned xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

I would highly recommend waxing over shaving yes it is slightly embaressing but once ur in and started you will be fine. I prefer a hollywood i feel so clean when i have had it done. Dont try it yourself lol!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Find a good waxer and have it all off. Enjoy!

I don't know what type of hair you have but I would just take it down to a manageable level, so a good trim, then your waxer can tell you if it's a good length to minimise the pain. it's really up to your personal preference if you want it all off or a landing strip. I would never go back to shaving personally. It is more painful the first time as with any waxing especially if you have been shaving but it does get better.also, It's much smoother, grows back much sparser and softer than when shaving. I have dark hair and I would need to shave daily which would end up with irritations and spotty skin folicles that can be sore if done too much. Go for it! Find a nice therapist your comfortable with, you'll never look back.

Thank you everyone :)

So you think within 48 hours it'd look "presentable" as it were? I've heard stories of bruising, red spots etc

Also heard only to go to a salon that uses hot wax for bikini area.

Can anyone help on how I find a good salon please? I live in Devon.

Thank you everyone :)

So you think within 48 hours it'd look "presentable" as it were? I've heard stories of bruising, red spots etc

Also heard only to go to a salon that uses hot wax for bikini area.

Can anyone help on how I find a good salon please? I live in Devon.

It might be an idea to book yourself into the salon for another treatment where you can ask the therapist questions about the treatment, what she recommends and you can she how confident she is at answering your questions. Most people do prefer hot wax I am one of the few exceptions who prefers warm wax. X

Hi! I used to shave but now regularly get a holywood wax and love it x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I've just done a search on google and looked at local salons, can anyone just tell me if £30 is the norm for a Hollywood please?

Also my weekend away has been arranged for 9th August (scared) so when would be the best day for me to get it done? Is there any prep that you can advise I do please?
How short should I trim what I have got?
Do I really have to go on all fours? (read that somewhere)
How long does it normally take and should I tell whomever I speak to that I have never had any wax treatments before down there?
Is there anything that I need to ask them too?

Thank you all so much :)

I've just done a search on google and looked at local salons, can anyone just tell me if £30 is the norm for a Hollywood please?

Also my weekend away has been arranged for 9th August (scared) so when would be the best day for me to get it done? Is there any prep that you can advise I do please?
How short should I trim what I have got?
Do I really have to go on all fours? (read that somewhere)
How long does it normally take and should I tell whomever I speak to that I have never had any wax treatments before down there?
Is there anything that I need to ask them too?

Thank you all so much :)

Do it a couple of days before so that you have time for it to heal etc. It should be fine within a few hours but I don't know how sensitive your skin is.
Exfoliate the area with an exfoliating mitt (or 'A bit of rough'!) The day before or even the morning of.
Personally I have never trimmed anything for waxing as I don't feel the need and still get all the hairs out. I would ask your salon this question as they can advise you what they prefer for best results.
Again, this depends on how your salon waxes if you need to go on all 4s, ask them what to expect.
Yes tell them you haven't had waxing before so they can treat you in the right way. You really need to ask the salon most of these questions as everyone waxes differently.

Hth x

Thank you :) I am so scared and I've not even made an appointment yet!
Is £30 the norm for a Hollywood? x

It is around the norm depending on area, its £35-40 in my 2 nearest salons :) xx

I can honestly say that there is no soreness immediately after being waxed with Perton Rigot hot waxes, so Google your area for salons that use it.

It really is personal preference, I personally have shaved for years. Had a bit of a mishap with wax when I was about 15..got scared and didn't pull quick enough, I had a nice rectangle of wax for a few hours while I tried to peel bits off lmfao! Also tried epilating down there but that is agony, I'd love to get lasered down there but waaay too much money and pain! Just try a few of the suggestions and see which you prefer most :) x

Latest posts

Back