bitty nails that just WONT grow !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie90

Reaction score
girls, im not a nail artist or anything of the sorts but hoped that by joining this forum, i could talk to some of you who are ! i have yucky nails that wont grow.. i dont bite them but pick at them.. so cant use any of the horrible tasting polishes coz they dont help ! i wear a nice coloured nail polish all the time but would love to move onto bigger and better things.. ie the french polish !! any tips ??!!

girls, im not a nail artist or anything of the sorts but hoped that by joining this forum, i could talk to some of you who are ! i have yucky nails that wont grow.. i dont bite them but pick at them.. so cant use any of the horrible tasting polishes coz they dont help ! i wear a nice coloured nail polish all the time but would love to move onto bigger and better things.. ie the french polish !! any tips ??!!

I bit my nails for years till I started having gel on them.
I cant go without now as I start biting them again when they don't have gel on.

That was one of my main reasons for becoming a nail tech.

if your nails are really not nice try acrylic nails or gel they will be prorected and they will grow, you can then progress to a natural nail overlay that will protect your own nails :)

alternativley get a really good nail protector like nail envy from opi they have things for all types of nail a little pricey but worth it if you want nice nails !!

Please don't go to a cheap nail salon find a well priced salon that will do your nails well :)

oh and regular manicures will help x

Treat yourself to a nice manicure, start to look after your nails and stop picking at them.

Then maybe you could get some fibreglass, acrylic or gel overlays done to help your nails to grow to a length that you could then do a french polish on.

The thing is if you dont stop picking your nails then fibreglass, gel or acrylic may not help you it may damage your nails even more (if you pick the overlay of it will damage your nail)- if you learn to look after your nails and stop picking them you will be surprised how quickly your nails will grow.

Hope this helps.

SHELLAAAAAAC 'em!! No damage to the nail plate, it keeps your nails protected and will last so well that your nails will just grow without hassle. And because it looks great all the time you won't want to pick! Oh and use a good quality cuticle oil regularly to keep your nails in good condition.

yeah iv had a look at a few of the strengthener polishes (lissa that was the first one i was looking at .. Nail strengthener - Compare prices on Twenga.co.uk ) but didnt know where to start ! lots of things came up like the protector polishes but also cuticle cream.. if i use them both will i have fab nails by next week ??!! wishful thinking...

SHELLAAAAAAC 'em!! No damage to the nail plate, it keeps your nails protected and will last so well that your nails will just grow without hassle. And because it looks great all the time you won't want to pick! Oh and use a good quality cuticle oil regularly to keep your nails in good condition.

Absolutely agree! Shellac is amazing and I've grown my nails with it. When I had L&P, sometimes it lifted and I just HAD to pick. Shellac does not lift, hence, no picking. You can check out my nails in my Shellac album.

I actually had to cut them yesterday as there were getting too long for MY taste.

HTH! :):)

As a qualified Bio Sculpture Qualified Nail Technician i think you need bio sculpture gel its full of all the nutrients your nails need to grow! Shellac is supposed to be really good but its just what ive read i havent used it but apparently Bio sculpture is still that little bit better but like i said i havent used shellac. With my clients who have picked at/bitten nails i recommend they have a conditioning treatment which includes cuticle removal etc. once a week for 3 weeks then try a clear gel at first so people are not drawn to your nails while they are still growing once you have a bit of free edge (the white bit on at the tip of your nail) have a colour it should only take between 4-8 weeks depending on how short they are to begin remember your nails will be damaged from picking etc and may be weak which means the any gel may now bond as well but keep at it and they will get stronger hope thats helped :)

As a qualified Bio Sculpture Qualified Nail Technician i think you need bio sculpture gel its full of all the nutrients your nails need to grow!

I know of no products we put onto our nails gel, l&p etc that will help them grow faster or become naturally stronger.

The growing is done in the Matrix at the very base of the nail which is under the skin of the finger. Using a cuticle oil may help your nail to grow a little faster because of the effect massaging can have on the martix - can cause it to make more keratin.

Shellac is a hybrid gel polish so not enhancement product is better than shellac for nails which is why it is predominantly a natural nail product.

Go to a professional nail tech and discuss options suitable for you. Have a look at salons in your area and ask around to see if anyone can recommend a good one.

Wow thats loads of info, thanks a mill ! Also the fact that its lent tomorrow, i wont be giving up any nice foods (!!) but instead will have beautiful nails !!

Latest posts

Back