Black lines through nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread!

Thanks to Charshaun for the info on web site "hooked on nails", its one I've not come across yet, great for students to look at actual photos of nail disorders.

Cheers X

Hiya,

Habit Tic,

caused by client constantly picking or rubbing the nail. sometimes caused by a nervous condition.

Jenx

Hi everyone,
Has anyone ever come across seeing black lines through any of their clients nails? I have a client who has them on her thumb nails. It looks like it starts at the matrix and grows right out on to the free edge. I advised her to go to the doctor but her GP is stumped. Anyone ever seen this?

Carmen

Hi, i'm new to this site, so please bare with me.

When i read the above, i have something similar and had been doing a little research of my own. I have copied and pasted a quote from another site which sounds like the answer and seems to make sense. I'm pasting it here, in case it is worst case scenario and its not missed.

Splinter hemorraghes can be a sign of heart problems, but generally are a different thing all together. They are mostly caused by tiny voids in the nail plate cell production. They fill up with blood from the nail bed and appear as tiny black lines that look much like you have a splinter under your nail. Your nail plate will ride forward on the nail bed much like a train rides forward on its tracks. The rails are on the nail bed, and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. The voids are usually on the underside of the nail plate which allows them to fill with blood from the nail bed. They usualy are nothing to worry about unless there is a history of heart problems in your family. If so, then I would have a stress test perfromed if your doctor believes it to be warranted.

Tittch

i have a client with what you are describing just in her thumb nail, she said she has never banged her nail, if it was a heart problem would it be on just the one nail or more???

Latest posts

Back