Bleach Bathing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheres sophisticutz when we need her, with her superior scientific knowledge:).
Perry I notice you've been qualified for 6 months, which is great and I'm not saying you don't know your stuff, but I wouldn't be as quick to judge the other geeks and make 'quick' proclaimations about their techniques, most probably they have seen a lot more clients than you. Great you are so enthusiastic though.:green:

I know i have only been qualified for 6 months, but that doesn't mean i havn't been colouring for 2 years or more, through my apprenticeship i assisted all the stylists i worked with , between 3 and 25 years of experience because, i always understood colour more than they did.... i do know my stuff and i know what works for me....i merely said what worked for me and then everyone decided to tell me that colour reducers dont work...

think we all have to agree to disagree! Thats ur opinion Perry_Althair and others have voiced theres. Least the OP has the choice. we will do things diff and thats great coz we all have diff clients.

to be fair, I think the original postee asked how to bleach bath and you said 'don't', lots of stylists use this method effectively and you have been telling them they are wrong - its natural for them to be defensive, we all have our own ways, not necessarily wrong, just different.

Agreed Penny! ;)

If you think you know more than a stylist with 25 years experience and you understand colour better than them then wow! But in my opinion in this fast paced industry where trends and fashions change daily I feel you never stop learning and when you feel you have learnt everything it's time to pack in! Your profile says you have joined SG to gain advice and opinions from others on the site and yes you will their are some amazingly techy geeks on here in everyfield such as hair, nails, biz and skin but you have to bear in mind reading what someone writes and how it was meant to be interpreted may not be the same way it's read, if that makes sense.

all I have to say is oh dear!!!!! and to the op if u would like the correct and undamaging way 2 bleach bath pm me!

just wanted to give my opinion on bleach bathing...not meaning to cause any tension..
guess i shouldn't have bothered :(

Wooo ok-so I am the OP! .. Logging into salon geek and seeing that my thread had 2 pages worth of replies I thought I was going to see many peoples methods and techniques which I was looking forward to reading but instead I read 2 pages of disputes!!
Shall we leave the disputes there and go forward with helpful advice?!
Let's have peoples advice on bleach bathing now please!! :) .. Xx

Sorry, but I have to agree 100% with Perry_Althair.

No matter how carefully you mix and apply the ingredients, bleach baths cause damage as they STRIP all of the colour pigments from the hair, both artificial and natural.

A colour remover works by only taking out the artificial colour pigments (molecules) from the cortex and leaving behind the natural pigments.

Colour removers work brilliantly if done properly, and they leave the hair in really good condition.

According to the instructions supplied, you might have to apply the remover up to 3 times in a few cases, although I haven't had to myself so far. However, if I'd chosen to do a bleach bath instead, in order to achieve the same degree of lift, the bleach solution would have had to be stronger and left on the hair for longer and consequently, the damage done would be more severe.

A bleach bath will always cause some structural damage, no matter how weak the solution.

So although the OP asked for advice on making up a bleach bath, I would personally recommend always trying a colour remover first.

I use affinage eraser.

Well....when I bleach bath I normally use a mix ratio of 1 scoop bleach, 1 scoop water, 1 scoop 20vol.
I don't like doing it at the backwash (how I was trained to do it) as I don't think you can really see what is going on because you've got to stay with the client and watch everything that's going on, especially when correcting a home colour, more often than not the client has done it themselves and it's patchy.
I prefer to apply with a sponge and I start with the darkest areas first. If one area is reaching the desired level before the rest has then I spray it down with water to slow the process down. Once it's all washed off I check to make sure it's all even, if not I go over the bits that need lightening a bit more, but tbh, if it's monitored properly it shouldn't need re-application.
On the odd occasion I've used 10 vol instead of 20vol when there needed to be more evening out rather than lightening and that's worked well too.
I would always recommend going with the lowest peroxide needed, it may take longer but the result will always be better.
I've done about a million bleach baths (or that's what it seems!) and tried different methods but this way is the best way for me.
X

Yeh, Color erasers are much kinder to the hair.
I have used Rusk Elimin8 and was very impressed with the results although its not cheap. I recall it costing me around £16 But then you can get 3 applications out of it if using on short hair.

Bleach baths are fine if the hair is in good condition beforehand, and if you make your own, they are quick and very cost effective, which to be honest is great if you have a busy salon with numerous color corrections.

I have used this ratio in the past:

1 scoop of deep clean shampoo.
1 scoop of bleach.
1 scoop of 20 vol if lifting out the color.
1 scoop of 10 vol if just removing slight tones.
Half a scoop of very warm water.

:)

Yeh, Color erasers are much kinder to the hair.
I have used Rusk Elimin8 and was very impressed with the results although its not cheap. I recall it costing me around £16 But then you can get 3 applications out of it if using on short hair.

Bleach baths are fine if the hair is in good condition beforehand, and if you make your own, they are quick and very cost effective, which to be honest is great if you have a busy salon with numerous color corrections.

I have used this ratio in the past:

1 scoop of deep clean shampoo.
1 scoop of bleach.
1 scoop of 20 vol if lifting out the color.
1 scoop of 10 vol if just removing slight tones.
Half a scoop of very warm water.

:)

Yep I do exactly the same as lamaur man except I miss out the half a scoop of water and just wet the hair!
Same thing really :)

Latest posts

Back