Blending/applying acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa198430

Reaction score
Hi I'm a newbie and after some advice please :)
I'm currently on a nail tech course and have a few questions..1)blending the tip is it just the artificial tip you blend? How do you avoid it snapping off if so?
2)applying the acrylic I am struggling with getting the beading right as when I apply it it's always too thick :-(
3) how do you stop the brushes getting wrecked? The acrylic seems to dry so quick on the brush then I can't get it out

Hi, what product line are you using and where are you training. Your educator should be able to keep an eye on you and help during class time. Don't be afraid to call her over and ask lots of questions and let her stand and watch you until you are improving.

Blending tips is a skill, and is a difficult one to master...but once you do you'll never lose it.

The best type of tips to use have a micro well, but if you are using full well tips you can cut out part of the well to make them micro. I tended to pre blend tips in that I would file the surface of the tip slightly before applying it. Once applied cut to the right length and thin down the tip from the free edge towards where it meets the nail. Don't go straight to the blend line! Once you have thinned the tip out blending the line will be easier. Always be aware what part of your file is connecting with the tip to ensure you are never filing the natural nail. Long smooth strokes with the file are better than short fast ones as you can cause a friction burn on your poor clients nail bed! Long slow strokes should also ensure you don't overdo it and blend the tip right off!
Another reason they could be snapping off could be it wasn't properly attached, in that there could be air bubbles underneath. Ensure all parts of the well are firmly adhered to the nail before lifting your file.

Regarding your liquid and powder mix ratio, without knowing what product you are using that is a tad tricky.
The system I used was 1 1/2 parts liquid to 1 part powder. To get this right I would dip my brush in my monomer liquid and then in the polymer and once I lifted my brush out with a bead on it I would watch the powder absorbing the liquid counting out 3 seconds. If all the powder was absorbed before 3 seconds then the bead would be too wet so I could dip back into the polymer to get it right. If there was still powder on my bead then it would be too dry and if applied, it will set too quickly and fight back when you try to press it into place! There is nothing you can do with a dry bead but ditch it and try again.
This will be why it is setting in your brush too!
With the correct mix ratio a bead when you place it on the nail will come cleanly off your brush. Then leave it for a second to settle before you start to press and smooth it across the nail. Once finished pressing it out wipe your brush to ensure there is no product on it beforea ou put it back into your monomer to get the next bead.

Stop stressing, these are the 2 main things that frustrated us all when we started out. Take your time, talk to your trainer and it will all eventually fall into place.

Hi

I'm learning l&p also at college at the mo. We're using the edge - ratio 2 parts liquid 1 part powder - I understand what ratio means but unsure how I amend what I pick up to ensure it's 2:1? Any advice appreciated!

This is obviously a slightly wetter mix, but if your trainer has told you the mix ratio, then surely she has to be able to tell you how to achieve it?

With the system I used after applying the bead you did not wipe your brush,therefore there would still be liquid within it that as you pressed and smoothed the bead would keep it workable.
A lot of other systems with a wetter mix ratio tend to tell you to wipe your brush after applying the bead therefore no further liquid is added and you need to press out the wetter bead whilst trying to control it and with it sometimes setting up quicker than you would like.
I always found this a waste of my most expensive product, wiping it away on a pad!

Maybe see what suits you best, experiment and see how you get to the perfect mix that is workable and problem free.

Just about to start my course too & its so nice to have people like izzidoll to help with great tips ☺ Good luck Rebecca x

I agree! Thanx guys x

Thankyou for your replys,we've only been shown once and my tutor is on holiday for two weeks so trying to practice as much as I can.We are using nsi part well dura tips and nsi attraction nail liquid and powder

Good luck Lisa aswell, sorry I thought I'd tyoed that aswell X ☺

A lot of Geeks use the NSI Attraction system so hopefully they will be able to help you as you go through your course. I have tried the dura tips, I love blending tips but hated them they can be a nightmare!

Last edited:
Sorry hit send before I meant to...

Pre blending these dura tips should help as you can do the bulk of the blending off nail.
Maybe look at Pro Impressions well less tips, not to avoid blending as this is an important skill to learn but they are nice and thin easy to apply and a dream to blend, and very affordable too

Thankyou.Going to get a new acrylic brush as can't really practice with it at the moment lol.Is a practice hand worth getting?

Practise hands are great I had an Essential Nails one. More for working on my application and finish filing as applying tips and blending can be tricky on them.
If you get a new brush...look after it!
Your brush should be your best friend and it is your most important tool. My brushes lasted me well over a year which is meant to be its natural life span so it is worth investing in a good brush. My best ever brush is the EzFlow master artist 508. Flattens out for pressing and smoothing and snaps back into a point for small beads and perfecting smile lines.
As you are using NSI I'm sure they have a site Nail Angel? To help and support their techs, it might be worth a look, as long as you still hang about here though!!

Will do ☺️ How is the best way to clean your brush?

In your monomer. NOT brush cleaner.

If you always wipe your brush before putting it back into your monomer whilst working then no product should clog it up and your monomer won't get contaminated. Always remember to wipe it again when finished, before you start your finish filing, then dip into your monomer splaying out the hairs, wipe on dappen dish and reshape on lint free pad then store flat until your next use.

Hi it's me again! (Sorry) I've been practising this morning and thought I would send you the pics to see if I could get any advice for improvement because as you will be the pics the nail is still not fully blended and the acrylic looks 'patchy' on the nail.I tried it on my natural nail and also on the nail tip.
I find it hard to fit all the acrylic on if that makes sense?? So when I get to the third bead it seems there's no room :/ hoping to get the hang of it soon lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756 KB · Views: 143
As per your previous post, you have only been shown application once, and now your tutor is on holiday.
I would wait until you get another lesson.
I love your enthusiasm, and you do need to do a lot of practise at home, but it's best after a tutor has watched you work and pointed out the areas you need to concentrate on and correct.
You could be in danger of picking up bad habits just now that you will need to unlearn when your tutor goes over this with you again.

Regarding picture 1, yes there appears to be a large circle of product missing. This could be your brush angle meaning that when you are smoothing the product your brush is at the wrong angle therefore taking all the product along with it instead of smoothing it down where it is. Or it could be your mix was too wet.
A tutor watching you work would sort it out right away.
Picture 2 shows that no amount of polish on top can disguise the fact the surface isn't smooth!
This is normal at your stage, my first practise nails closely resembled the surface of the moon!
However, it can't be left like that and has to be filed smooth. That's why we say sculpt with the brush not the file.

As for fitting all the acrylic in...use less! You can always add more if there isn't enough, but too much means too thick or ending up in places it shouldn't!

Izzidoll I love your comments very informative!! :) xxx

Izzidoll I love your comments very informative!! :) xxx
Thanks for that...I keep waiting for an experienced NSI user to join in in case I'm starting to get boring lol!

Hi only a few weeks until I finish my course..want to get some advice on my l&p acrylic tips I did on a training hand at college today..
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back