Bluesky newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firstly I'd like to mention I am fully nvq qualified I've trained with opi and CND and I've been in the industry for 4 years.

I started off using CND shellac loved it I worked and lived in Hertfordshire made a fabulous business.
I decided to try and few different gels over the first 2 years, opi gel, gelish, ibd and bio gel.

I've tried them all on my own nails and my clients.

CND was the best although lasted at very most 3-4 days on my rubbish nails.

I moved back to the West Midlands in 2013 and went back to my old faithful CND shellac but where I live now (near Wolverhampton) prices are rubbish i was having to charge basically half the price I was in Hertfordshire bearing in mind the products cost the same and the time it took was the same. I was earning about £5-£6 for each set I did which was terrible I wasn't hardly earning anything. One day I went to another girl to have my toes done in gel because I'd hurt my hip and couldn't get down to do my toes. She used bluesky and I like many others thought it was rubbish but after having it on my toes for 5 weeks I was I must say impressed. It lasted well never pealed or chipped, it was a lovely glittery shiny colour. So I bought myself a few to try and test on close friends family and every one said it was lovely some even got longer wear from it that CND. So I bought more and more and now I don't even have any CND anymore I have over 35 colours now when I could only have about 12-14 CND because of my earnings I couldn't justify keep spending so much I wasn't making enough profit. If I upped my prices I hardly got anyone in because the prices where too high for my area. If I was a big salon or a spa yes I can charge those prices but as a home based and mobile small business charging spa prices was just out of the question. Not one of my clients have said a bad word I have not had one person say it wasn't any good in 3 months and I'm busier than ever. Everyone says how lovely it is and I can now charge the area average and make a decent profit. I use all CND prep things and oils ect because they are brilliant but I use bluesky Polish. Some of my clients who have had trouble with it lifting off in the past due to weak nails have kept bluesky on longer.

I put bluesky on my nails and it's lasted 3 times as long as any brand I've ever tried and I've tried a lot. I've literally never had any problems at all

I know in this site you all love CND and I do too but I am pleased with bluesky and so are my customers and as long as my customers are happy so am I. After all I do it for money and to see my customers happy so I'm not ashamed to say I use bluesky don't knock it until you've tried and and keep an open mind. Some people go into something thinking it's rubbish so no matter what they won't change their silly close minded point of view.

Totally agree with this. I've seen so many people pull it down on here. Yes it isn't an official brand .. And yes some of them do copy cnd .. But they have done a good job! They last brilliant. I too only used to use gelish and now all I use is crystal g .. Great product, great nail growth and great lasting. I await all the bad replies about it [emoji87] x

Firstly I'd like to mention I am fully nvq qualified I've trained with opi and CND and I've been in the industry for 4 years.

I started off using CND shellac loved it I worked and lived in Hertfordshire made a fabulous business.
I decided to try and few different gels over the first 2 years, opi gel, gelish, ibd and bio gel.

I moved back to the West Midlands in 2013 and went back to my old faithful CND shellac but where I live now (near Wolverhampton) prices are rubbish i was having to charge basically half the price I was in Hertfordshire bearing in mind the products cost the same and the time it took was the same. I was earning about £5-£6 for each set I did which was terrible I wasn't hardly earning anything. One day I went to another girl to have my toes done in gel because I'd hurt my hip and couldn't get down to do my toes. She used bluesky and I like many others thought it was rubbish but after having it on my toes for 5 weeks I was I must say impressed. It lasted well never pealed or chipped, it was a lovely glittery shiny colour. So I bought myself a few to try and test on close friends family and every one said it was lovely some even got longer wear from it that CND. So I bought more and more and now I don't even have any CND anymore I have over 35 colours now when I could only have about 12-14 CND because of my earnings I couldn't justify keep spending so much I wasn't making enough profit. If I upped my prices I hardly got anyone in because the prices where too high for my area. If I was a big salon or a spa yes I can charge those prices but as a home based and mobile small business charging spa prices was just out of the question. Not one of my clients have said a bad word I have not had one person say it wasn't any good in 3 months and I'm busier than ever. Everyone says how lovely it is and I can now charge the area average and make a decent profit. I use all CND prep things and oils ect because they are brilliant but I use bluesky Polish. Some of my clients who have had trouble with it lifting off in the past due to weak nails have kept bluesky on longer.

I put bluesky on my nails and it's lasted 3 times as long as any brand I've ever tried and I've tried a lot. I've literally never had any problems at all

I know in this site you all love CND and I do too but I am pleased with bluesky and so are my customers and as long as my customers are happy so am I. After all I do it for money and to see my customers happy so I'm not ashamed to say I use bluesky don't knock it until you've tried and and keep an open mind. Some people go into something thinking it's rubbish so no matter what they won't change their silly close minded point of view.

I suppose the question is why didn't you use a lower price but still professional gel polish like Gellux or artistic for example?

I never see the point of these posts. I'm using a non pro copy cat product and it stays on the nails. Good for you.

My client uses this as well. She has crap nails where she struggles to get blue sky off. She came and had her nails done professionally. I used gel ll on her. She loved it so much she tried to buy some colours but yay she needs to be a pro. No grey area. Professional products, professional training.

I've said it before. If you want to use blue sky, use it. I don't understand the point of raving about it on here.

It's like forever living, Younique, Jeunesse, arbonne. Products that our clients can buy for the same price we pay without ever having to do any training, and so they will never be pro products.

Vic x

Was going to comment but vic has basically took the words out of my mouth.....x

If you are disgusted, then surely it is no surprise that your fellow professionals will be disgusted too, do you want a reaction? Pun intended :lol:

There are plenty reasonably priced professional gel polish ranges out there, I see no reason at all to purchase a known counterfeit product.

I think you and your nails deserve the wonderful products you use on your clients.
Can you give me a few ideas of affordable gel polishes i was considering bluesky as iv seen it advertised in a local salon and had no idea to the controversy behind it , I just saw the price tag and taught ahh finally a brand I can afford to buy a couple of colours to start me off. So if you can help me out here this would be great , just starting out as mobile so funds are tight.

The capital cost of building up your inventory is one thing (and important to consider when just starting and money is tight), but remember that it is the cost per service as that is the true expense to you as a professional. The other expense (which is by far the greatest expense) is performance and removal as one can help you keep (instead of lose) a customer and both take your time (which is many more times more expensive than your product). I wouldn't be surprised if like for like BS is less than a £ per application. I do know it is a lot more time consuming to remove than many other professional products. I also know they will happily sell it to your customer or you. Same price. Sort of like going to a hair salon and having them use Head and Shoulders when shampooing your customer.

I am see both sides of the argument, having read the whole thread.

As a newly qualified technician, I can see how the cheaper polishes can be tempting to buy as start up costs to provide a good range of colours is high and it's difficult to predict what colours are going to be popular etc

I can see the argument for not using cheaper, non-professional products as professionals as it does devalue professionalism within the industry, which is what we should all be fighting against!

The only thing I wanted to say was in response to The Geek's last post and I'm gonna be Devil's advocate and say that one the other side of the coin - just because you buy a pair of scissors, doesn't mean you can cut hair...so just because Joe Bloggs down the road can buy a gel polish, doesn't mean they can do a decent job of applying it :)

X

Look the way I look at it is you wouldn't walk into a hairdressers and EVER have them use a box dye or a hair dye you can buy yourself down in the chemist because its cheaper for them. So why do people seem to value performing beauty treatments so much less?? Yes, like blue sky, box dyes do a great job but that doesnt mean hairdressers would ever use them.

Look the way I look at it is you wouldn't walk into a hairdressers and EVER have them use a box dye or a hair dye you can buy yourself down in the chemist because its cheaper for them. So why do people seem to value performing beauty treatments so much less?? Yes, like blue sky, box dyes do a great job but that doesnt mean hairdressers would ever use them.

Absolutely this should be the case, but unfortunately it's not-there are hairdressers out there that do use box colours on clients :-(

Hi, just a quick question @Kasey590 do you have any problems with removing bluesky? I have been thinking of trying it. Also do you use their base and topcoat? thankyou xx

Hey hey! Nope! As it's gel polish not a shellac it's longer wearing. I gently file off the topcoat then soak in acetone for 10 minutes. It comes away easily and I never have my problems :) I do use the base and top coat too. I love the topcoat! It's also great over acrylics :) it lasts ages :)

Also I could give a crap about what other professionals use. Or what they think for that matter. I use a product that works for me and my client base, that they are informed about and are happy for me to use and I'm fully qualified as a certificate 2 nail technician so I know what I'm doing :) I find that the biggest problem in this industry is nasty nail technicians not so much nasty products. The amount of horrible people I've met who think they're superior based upon brand but their work doesn't show it. Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it so it is with you that we have control of our attitudes :) I for one would rather spend my time and energy being supportive of other people, happy for their success and happiness and not so negative and nasty. I've used a whole manor of products and searched until I found one that works for me and my client base :) my work is good, my clients are good and I'm happy :) have a lovely day guys no matter what brand you use!

Last edited:

Funny you should say that as I had my hair highlighted a month or so ago. The hair stylist used professional products but ignored what I wanted and I looked like a stripey tiger so I had to by a box dye to go over the whole lot and now my hair looks like I wanted! I paid her £55 for a job done badly when I could have for one of my friends over with a couple of box dyes for £10 and done the job better!

It's not always about the products but I agree that if you have a non-professional product OR a non-professional technician then there is always room for error. However even when you have the professional products AND a fantastic technician there's no guarantee that it's going to be a perfect result - albeit it's less likely.

If a client is happy to pay for a less expensive product and understands that what they are getting, then I don't see the problem. The issue is when treatments appear to be mis-sold as using a branded product when they're not.

Also I could give a crap about what other professionals use. I use a product that works for me and my client base, that they are informed about and are happy for me to use and I'm fully qualified as a certificate 2 nail technician so I know what I'm doing :) I find that the biggest problem in this industry is nasty nail technicians not so much nasty products. The amount of horrible people I've met who think they're superior based upon brand but their work doesn't show it. Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it so it is with you that we have control of our attitudes :) I for one would rather spend my time and energy being supportive of other people, happy for their success and happiness and not so negative and nasty. I've used a whole manor of products and searched until I found one that works for me and my client base :) my work is good, my clients are good and I'm happy :) have a lovely day guys no matter what brand you use!

Well said, Kasey!

I suppose the question is why didn't you use a lower price but still professional gel polish like Gellux or artistic for example?

I can't comment on Gellux but Artistic is more expensive than Shellac!

Gellux is about £xx per bottle

Moderator edit: trade prices are not permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I would never yse BLUE SKY or any other beauty products manufactured in CHINA is they test on animals , they skin dogs alive and think thats ok !!so can't bare to think what these animals go through just for us to get a cheap product . That made my mind up for me ! A recently purchased tge CALLOUS PEEL couldn't wait to use it . But see tgat it was made in KOREA which I'm really pissed off about as Korea are even worse than china

So what phone you use? What car do you drive? Where do you buy your clothes from?

Can you be assured that NONE of those companies treat their workers fairly or test/don't test on animals? How many of your customers have an iPhone (who apparently treat their manufacturer workers awfully), wear Primark clothes (we all know about them) and then want products not tested on animals??

We can go on and on about shampoo, sun creams, washing up liquid etc etc...

When does it end??

The reason I would never yse BLUE SKY or any other beauty products manufactured in CHINA is they test on animals , they skin dogs alive and think thats ok !!so can't bare to think what these animals go through just for us to get a cheap product . That made my mind up for me ! A recently purchased tge CALLOUS PEEL couldn't wait to use it . But see tgat it was made in KOREA which I'm really pissed off about as Korea are even worse than china
I'm with you, I couldn't use anything I knew had been tested on animals, especially in Asia where the animal testing standard are abysmal. X

I can't comment on Gellux but Artistic is more expensive than Shellac!
Artistic bottles are 15ml Shellac bottles are only 7ml.
Artistic is cheaper per ml.

Latest posts

Back