Boosting your online presence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been doing hair extensions for 6 years nearly and as always things go up and down different times of the year. This is the first year I've done hair and only hair as a job as I've always had something else alongside and this was just something extra, but now as it is my sole income I am looking for some advice or tips for boosting my online prescence both free and paid! I currently post everyday at least once using my business page, sharing and connecting with my personal profile and getting friends etc to help sharing and engaging also. It shows how many people have seen the post but the engagement just isn't what I'd expect! I use free and paid sites like gumtree etc for posting outside of social media, I use instagram, Snapchat etc and keep up with at least one offer every 2 months! Some weeks I can barely cover my chair rent and my bills leaving myself out of pocket before I've even made anything but I'm not priced as penny's either it's a reasonable profit amount and I use reputable and beautiful suppliers and still am the cheapest in the area for who and what I use! I love my job but I'm just feeling a bit disheartened:(

Do you have a website?

Do you have a website?
I don't, it's an expense I can't afford when all my business comes from the free sites and social media. I don't think as a smaller not well known business it's got much of.a point as again that's another outgoing expense every month I'm committed to before if even made anything

You could create a free website on wix! I pay for my website domain name (just so it's a bit more professional) but do it all myself on wix and it's super super easy! I'm also in my first year of starting out (mobile beauty therapy) and do get disheartened sometimes, but you just have to power on through! It's so worth the while when you're doing what you love x

I also have my website through Wix. I work from home and when I first started out I gained about 70% of my bookings through my website which is a huge amount. I come up as number one on Google for my area. So in my opinion it's 100% worth the expense. I have a premium plan but you can get cheaper options for like £7 a month which is very cheap when you think about it.
Also add your business to as many free listing pages as possible. I used to Google other similar local businesses and see what popped up. Whatever they were listed on, I'd add my details to the same site.

Have you thought about increasing your prices? If you're the cheapest in the area and you have the experience, plus use good quality product, maybe you need to think about doing an increase.

I also have my website through Wix. I work from home and when I first started out I gained about 70% of my bookings through my website which is a huge amount. I come up as number one on Google for my area. So in my opinion it's 100% worth the expense. I have a premium plan but you can get cheaper options for like £7 a month which is very cheap when you think about it.
Also add your business to as many free listing pages as possible. I used to Google other similar local businesses and see what popped up. Whatever they were listed on, I'd add my details to the same site.

Have you thought about increasing your prices? If you're the cheapest in the area and you have the experience, plus use good quality product, maybe you need to think about doing an increase.

ive just recently upgraded my brands and raised my prices, not massively where its hugely noticeable but enough to make a difference to myself on the profit end. I also have my own aftercare products in the salon, im not sure if its due to the time of year but this time last year when i worked from home and mobile i was turning loads of people away! now ive got more experience and im in an actual salon im quieter than ive ever been! I find all the local people that i know dont help at all by liking and sharing my business posts either, half of them go elsewhere for their extensions done and thats purely cos they know me and probably think im not capable baring in mind this is my only job! I have decided to get a website and maybe add a booking section on it if possible so they can look at all the info then fill in a consultation form online so it saves time in the salon. It isnt my first year of doing this but its my first year being in the salon so i was expecting to be really busy in a nicer environment i guess. Ideally i want to have 2-3 clients everyday that im in! which isnt everyday as i have to work around my sons nursery schedule and his dads shift pattern for making sure someone can have him while im at work so its quite a realistic goal. But the area im in isnt exactly thriving money wise but i do have clients that travel and that still makes me proud whenever im feeling a bit down x

You could create a free website on wix! I pay for my website domain name (just so it's a bit more professional) but do it all myself on wix and it's super super easy! I'm also in my first year of starting out (mobile beauty therapy) and do get disheartened sometimes, but you just have to power on through! It's so worth the while when you're doing what you love x

i just get on with it but do find it hard as if im not busy enough after ive paid my chair rent sometimes i go home with 10-20 pound for hours of work and i cant use 20 pound to pay my bills, run my car and feed my son! so thats why im really looking for some advice as i cant continue im going to end up in debt regardless wether i love my job or not i need to be busy enough to pay my bills x

I know how you feel, I've just started out self employed and it's so hard. It's definitely a roller coaster but there's a great post for promoting your business at the top of the business forum. Some of it may help, perhaps?

I know how you feel, I've just started out self employed and it's so hard. It's definitely a roller coaster but there's a great post for promoting your business at the top of the business forum. Some of it may help, perhaps?

Yeah i know, i have looked through its many comments multiple times but sometimes when its really quiet its just harder to deal with things. ive got a chocka day tomorrow 9-7 so all day but it would be great if it was like that everyday i was in x

Latest posts

Back