Boss issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairmummy

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm not a beauty therapist
I have a new technician started well she was amazing to start with but now she demands she takes her own booking which I don't mind clients timings are key to relaxing experience within our spa but she took 2 hours the other day to do nail extensions for an offer price of £20. I'm finding she now takes 1.5 to do 1set of acrylics and if she works extra days her appointments are spread out through the day not blocked like agreed am I being unreasonable how do I approach this? I'm sure products are also going home to do friends as stock turn over seems high but I'm not a technician so finding it hard to comment

Do you employ her or is she self employed?

Your answer will depend on what's right or wrong with her working practise.

Sorry employed and newly qualified

If you employ her, I'm afraid she is being paid to do whatever her job requires her to do.

It's not down to her to book her own appointments, it's down to the salon. She is there as an employee to do a job

Nip that in the bud straight away. You need to get thst diary back, you book her clients in, stock take and tell her while she's employed she will work according to salon protocol also make it clear salon products stay in the salon
But you'll have to word that part very carefully as you don't yet have proof she's using them at home.

If newly qualified, is she struggling with her timings and is worried about doing a bad job? I don't do extensions, but I know getting it right and getting speed up can be hard. Maybe she needs a chat. I agree with @KHS in that it needs to be done sooner rather than later.

The salon needs to be booking her appointments but in consultation with her, so if she really is struggling, you can help.

Re products, there is often a misconception that a bit of product here and there won't get noticed. As she's new, she may be using a bit more product than normal or she may be ferreting some away. CCTV? It's something we've thought about so maybe an option.

Good luck

Vic x

If she is an employee then you should stipulate in her contract that she is not to do 'homers' as that is taking business away from the salon. Taking stock home to do them...well that is just stealing, and is a sackable offence!
Regarding her timings, if she is just starting out then 2 hours is the most she should take, but should be aiming for 1 hour 30 minutes, with that including consultation updating record card and rebooking.

It is easy for new techs to get into a habit of taking their time to "get things perfect" but working in a salon puts you under pressure to deliver high standards in a shorter time. She will of course initially resent this pressure, but ultimately she will benefit.

A good day of back to back appointments with 1 hr 30 minutes allocated for each set of nails should soon sort her out.
I know salons who expect and turn out good work in 1 hour, maybe that could be an ultimate goal, but 1 hour 30 is an acceptable time, if the work is good. The majority of appointments should be 1 hour infil/rebalance/maintenance appointments anyway once she is up and running.

Do any of you use a booking system ? To make it easier for booking clients in

Do any of you use a booking system ? To make it easier for booking clients in
There are plenty threads about booking systems on here you could search out that have loads of info that should help..is any of our advice regarding your initial question of any use?

Latest posts

Back