Braids and plaits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shobi

Reaction score
hi
I wanted to know firstly what type of style you would call this, the one in the attached picture. is it a plait or a braid? my hair is about 6 inches long and i want it to be like that, is it possible?
thanks
sho

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 80
That's cornrow . Plait & braid is same thing to me . I call them cornrow braids or plaits. I do a lot of this .

hi littlemissm thanks for clarifying. so does it matter how long the hair is for a cornrow. I like the size and position of the cornrows in this picture and from the other pictures on that instagram account me and this person have the same hair length, so would it be possible to have cornrows on hair thats 6-7 inches long?

Yeah it's definitely a cornrow. You can braid anything if it's past like 4" in length so you should be fine. You can also add synthetic hair into the braid if you don't have enough length and to make it more sturdy.

Hi Lukas, thanks. I didn't know cornrows could be that thick I thought they tended to be thin? And is there a particular brand of synthetic hair I should look for and is it necessary?
Thanks

Cornrows can be any size or shape really, it depends on the sectioning you take. Synthetic hair isn't always necessary, unless you have fine hair or its a little on the short side. For example, I add synthetic hair when I'm doing a weave track all the time cause it gives you grip and a solid foundation.
It might not be necessary for you though. I usually get the yaki synthetic hair when I'm doing this cause it's got a strong texture in it and helps hold the braid in place.
Just have a consultation with a salon that specializes in braids and natural hairstyles and they should be able to help you out and let you know what you need.

Latest posts

Back