Brand New Acrylic Brush Care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shez1985

Reaction score
Iv just purchased a brand new acrylic kolinsky brush, and would like to know what's the best way to start it off. You know when they are totally brand new and still stiff....just dip it straight into the monomer?!.
And also, is only cleaning it in monomer the best way to go...iv cleaned my prev brush in acetone when iv had the big clumps of acrylic dry in the brush to try clear it out, and i fink it was this that wrecked it, the bristles went dry, frizzy, and wud never shape back into the point i 1st brought it at.
Thanks in advance for any help :hug:
Sheri xx

Do not just dip your new brush directly into monomer, you will ruin it if you do.

First you have to remove the gum in the hairs which is there to protect it whilst in transit. Get a lint free wipe and gently bend/work the hairs until they all move freely, do not touch the hairs with your fingers. Splay them out while the brush is till dry and make sure all the residue is out as well. Once you're sure that the brush hairs are moving freely submerge the brush into fresh, clean monomer and gently rock it from side to side until no more air bubbles come out. You may want to wipe it on the side of your dappen dish and repeat.

Then dispose of that monomer before you try and use the brush. You need fresh, clean monomer to work with.

Hth's

P.s. Getting product stuck in your brush is usually a sign that your ratio is too wet and it will ruin your brush!

Also only clean your brush with monomer never acetone.

Latest posts

Back