Breakeven Point - Need About 15 clients a week. Is this obtainable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Hiya.

I am in the early stages of setting up my own salon. I've found a great little spot. Needs a bit of work to it but I've got savings and my husband is a great handyman, lol. I've worked out my overheads and to cover them, I need at least 15 clients a week? Do you think this is achievable? Obviously, I will be doing heaps of advertising and marketing. I've got a website and facebook page already. The salon is slap bang in the middle of a busy high street. I have a mobile business but I think I read on here a few weeks ago that very few mobile clients follow you into a Salon. I'm going to keep mobile for a while as well which will help. But ultimately, I need 15 clients a week to cover my overheads. Although a majority of my treatments will be the same as the other 2 salons in the area (who are rushed off their feet) I'm going to be offering other treatments as well like reflexology, indian head massage, hopi ear candle treatments, myscara.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mandy

Depends on the area obv but I would say 15 clients a week is very achievable, just try and get the word out, maybe offer a small discount for your mobile clients to get them in?

Kim xx

go for it! i used to be mobile and then got totally fed up lugging all of the equipment in and out of the car, into clients houses etc etc and decided that i really need to "build something" in the garden! my husband thought i was bonkers, we didn't have any savings but i just went for it!! i got a 0% interest credit card and that paid for my lovely studio. this was three years ago and just as i'd had it built, the recession hit! i was so frightened and thought what have i done etc etc and began doubting that people would actually come to me when i had been going to them but.... you know what? three years on and it was the best thing i ever did! i have been able to expand the treatments i offer and am busy throughout the year and have even just taken on (albeit in a very very part time way) another therapist! best of luck! kirsty x

Oooh congratulations! What an exciting time for you!!!

One way to make things easier is to break down your numbers.....
So how many days are you working and how many hours
Divide the number of clients between those days and I'm sure you will surprise yourself on how achievable it can be for you.

But remember, be positive! Anything is achievable when you put your mind to it!
All the very best

Thanks guys. You've given some great advice. Kim, I'm of the school of thought that I'd rather have any money coming in then none, so I will be doing lots of special offers to get people in.

Kirsty, I've been mobile for three years now and I was thinking of getting 0% credit card if I have to to help get the salon looking great. Sounds like you're doing really well. Well done.

Matthew - that's really good advice. I will be working 3 half days and three full days so breaking it down like you suggested, if I get 2 clients on each of the three half days and three clients on each of the full days, that really does sound achievable.

Cheers guys.

xx Mandy xx

what was those figures on? an eyebrow wax or a luxury hour treatment?

i would not go into it unless you have money to fall back on and not spend every penny that your earn as some weeks you'll have 25 clients others you'll have 5.

What happens when you go on holiday? When you are sick? If its bad weather and everyone cancels?

I agree with Ann on this one and would say make sure you have some cash in reserve just incase as you can't always predict what is going to come through the door.

I dont know whether your are close to a big town or not, but why not put in a wee add in gumtree oferring a short term "special" just to get new people to your salon and hopefully after experiencing your first class service they will rebook for addional. treatments. x

I rent a room in a hairdressers, I only opened in march and like you I worked out exactly to the penny how much I needed a week, unfortunately you always get unexpected bills that's the joy of being self employed! But you also get unexpected highs to. Some weeks I have been pulling my hair out its been so quiet other weeks I am mobbed!! My only advice would be go for it, enjoy the highs and ride out the lows, as long as when it's good you put money away for the weeks it's quieter. Good luck!!! X x

Latest posts

Back