Burning head after highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma1082

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had highlights for years no problem, and since February I changed hairdressers and she has been brilliant. I decided to go more ombré so she has been doing root stretch on my with 6 and 7 base. I last has it done 3 weeks ago and she just used 6, and I had decided it was a bit too dark and made me feel dull, so today I went back in and explained I'd like to go for some highlights to go lighter again... All was fine until I came back from the basin and the girl blast drying my hair combed it and it was litterally coming out, I panicked a little and she said sometimes that happens but it's fine...

I came home and have put a deep conditioner all over my hair and left it a few hours, I've come to dry it and my hair is totally parched, lots fell out when I rinsed it and it's really dry, now to make matters worse, it's 2.30am and ive been lying awake for an hour boiling hot and it's all coming from my head, my head feels like it's on fire, I'm really upset. She didn't mention there would potentially be the damage there clearly has been to my hair. I can't sleep as I m burning and my hair is like straw. Iv put some leave in conditioner spray in it but I'm really worried. What should I do? Also I go ok holiday tomorrow. I always keep my hair out of the sun and smothered in conditioner on holiday, but I'm scared to even blow dry it at this rate because of the damage and as for the burning, it's awful.

Please please can anyone advise me..

Thank you in advance :( xx

Seek medical advice.

You may have chemical burns or possibly an allergic reaction. If it is chemical burns then make sure you cover up on holiday!

Did she apply a toner when the foils had been washed off?

Thanks for the reply. She did tone it yes, the toner was left on approx 6 mins or so.

I'm SO hot, this is horrible!!

Seek medical advice ASAP if you are sore & it has kept you awake. Better safe the sorry. Jenny

Before you went to the salon, had she performed a skin allergy test? Even if you have been going to the same salon, if you haven't been for 12 weeks they should repeat a skin allergy test. Too may salons and hairdressers don't do this for fear of losing trade. You may have had foils that didn't touch the scalp but a toner applied directly onto the scalp, can cause reaction.
It also sounds like they have overlapped the blonde from your previous colour process. This has subsequently melted your hair and that's why it's breaking away. You will need medical advise and it's a pity you are going away. Get a friend to take pictures and make a note of everything that has happened. The salon is liable for any damage they have caused by not following the correct procedures. They should defiantly be insured so you should revisit them and express your concerns. They can't put right what damage has been done, but maybe compensate you IF they are at fault. Remember, you are not the professional, they are, and you are guided by them.
J x

Definitely seek medical advice! As the others have said it could be a reaction to the toner. Have you looked at your scalp? Can you see any burns or anything? She might have over processed the highlights and that's why it's feeling like straw. I would let them know so they know what they have done. Be very careful when your on holiday, wear a hat as much as possible so the sun doesn't burn your scalp. Let us know how you get on xx

Thank you so much, I called NHS helpline and they said take antihistamine and pain killers and try and get to a walk in centre but I had no time due to flight. Iv stocked up on both of those and have smothered it in conditioner.

My scalp is normal color, no redness. It just feels like sunburn. Currently sitting ok the plane with the air vent blasting - bliss!!

I'm going to call the salon tomorrow. They didn't do a skin test but I have been going every 5 weeks since feb when they did do a test. This is my first experience of highlights here though as I have been having root stretch the previous few times. I only left it 2-3 weeks since I last had my root stretch but I felt too dark. I understand that was somewhat a gamble on my part doing it so soon, but she didn't advise me that I shouldn't be So I went for it.. Have never ever had this happen before but so annoyed.

Will slather in conditioner and keep my hat on this week and hopefull both the burning and the condition will improve.

Thank you all so much, I'm not a professional but I read your forum regularly as it's so interesting, shame I had to call for help, so thank you so much :) xx

Latest posts

Back