Business question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janekelleher

BEAUTY SMASH
Reaction score
HI
I want to change my career at the age of 40.
I started to do nails 15 years ago but ended up in full time employment in another industry and have been ever since. I regret not persuing my original career and wanted to re train again now with the hope to taking it up full time.
As I already work full time I will have to fit my training around daytime work. Once I have trained what is the best way to get new clients and slowly transition one career for the other? I understand that to get up to date and also get a new client Base could take a couple of years but I'm willing to put the effort in for a career I love. I don't want to work for someone else either so I am also in a dilemma about being mobile or static. Any ideas here too. Also as I would be a newbie again how do you advertise yourself as new without putting people off.
Thank's
Jane

Is it nails you want to do or a mixture of treatments?
I trained in beauty therapy when I was 30 and did the course at weekends whilst working full time at my office job. It was hard work but definitely doable! I finished with the top grades in my group and like all the other ladies there, I couldn't wait to work for myself.

I didn't transition from my old job. Instead my family convinced me to quit the office and work at a spa to gain some experience and I have to say, it was the best thing I ever did. Don't get me wrong, working for minimum wage was an absolute killer (especially as I was used to earning good money!) but I learnt so much in a short space of time and I strongly believe it helped me to gain clients when I went self employed, as I marketed myself on having worked there (its very well known!). In the time that I worked at the spa, I converted my garage and now use it as a salon and work for myself. I've been very successful and still use techniques, tips and treatments that I learnt from the spa and from the girls who I used to work with.

I'm not saying that you need to do this, but thought I'd share my experience. I know a couple of people who do nails and have never worked for someone else. The only thing I'll say, is that they tend to charge cheaper prices (even though they're very good at their job) and I can only feel that it's because they don't have much experience? They are both mobile.

Whether you choose to go self employed straight away or not, you need to suss out your target market, and what other nail techs / beauty therapists are doing in your local area. Then market yourself every way possible i.e. social media, website, google, leaflets, business cards, talking to people etc.etc.

x

Hi, thanks for your inspiration!! I think a mixture really but starting with nails. Your story sounds amazing and makes me think this is possible. Thank you xxx

Latest posts

Back