Calling all hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a beauty therapist but I'm asking for personal reasons for your advice on my hair! Naturally it's a medium brown with a bit of red in it (so the hair dresser says) but for the past couple of years due to shortage of cash I have used boxed colours on my hair. All being permanent and RED! Then I thought I could just put a boxed brown on it to cover up! .....didn't work!
I now want to get rid of the red and go lighter, is this possible and what should I do? Or ask the hair dresser to do. There are some amazing hair stylists out there but there are also some who are not that great. I've been turned away by them when I have asked to go lighter :/ I'm not sure if I like the thought of stripping my hair as its not in great condition as it is! I have attached a photo of my hair so you can see.

Any help would be amazing :)
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375044496.420645.jpg

Love your brows!

They will need to strand test to check the condition of your hair.

I would book in for a consultation and a strand test and take it from there. (With a reputable salon or nearby hair geek)

How much lighter

As you are not a Hair pro but a Consumer this has been moved to Consumer.

Do you think youve been turned down for colouring due to the condition?

Id suggest going for a consultation and discuss what you want colourwise and how you can get there, ie: conditioning treatment in salon and home, staged lightening over several appointments etc, as youve found with the box dye sometimes the quick way isnt the way to go.

Budget wise ask if they have apprentice days who could do at least part of your treatment to keep costs down and colleges start again in sept, the level 3's would love to help, practically at cost yet fully supervised and you could use this time to build condition.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh I'm new to the whole Salon Geek thing so didn't know about that.

I'm not sure how much lighter. Either ombré or full head of highlights. I want some thing different. I've never been lighter than a medium brown x

I'm not sure how much lighter. Either ombré or full head of highlights. I want some thing different. I've never been lighter than a medium brown x

Book in for consultation they are free,

Thanks for your help. I will definitely get a consultation. The condition of my hair isn't bad it's just not amazing so I don't think I got turned away because of that. I think they thought it might go orange. I will find a reputable hair dressers and go from there!
Thanks guys :) x

Thanks for your help. I will definitely get a consultation. The condition of my hair isn't bad it's just not amazing so I don't think I got turned away because of that. I think they thought it might go orange. I will find a reputable hair dressers and go from there!
Thanks guys :) x

It will go orange but then they will cover over it, you won't get blonde blonde first visit, take it in stages to help condition,
Get a good treatment to use at home

Hi Ive been doing hairdressing 8 years and have done loads of colour correction. Going for a consultation is best idea but go to afew salons as once place may say they can do it but it be £150 and others might charge alot less but take longer to get the same result. I've done my hair from red to blonde in a day before and dint even cut my hair after, so its possible to do. I fact only last week I was dark brown/red and I stripped my hair and bleached it all over then toned it twice and it went white blonde ill get some photos for u if u want and let u know what products I used.

Hi Ive been doing hairdressing 8 years and have done loads of colour correction. Going for a consultation is best idea but go to afew salons as once place may say they can do it but it be £150 and others might charge alot less but take longer to get the same result. I've done my hair from red to blonde in a day before and dint even cut my hair after, so its possible to do. I fact only last week I was dark brown/red and I stripped my hair and bleached it all over then toned it twice and it went white blonde ill get some photos for u if u want and let u know what products I used.

Please do not offer to give product information to non hairdressers.

The op has used home colour for years so don't think we should let her get her hopes up that it will be exactly how she wants it first visit,
There will be alot of build up and prob won't lift very even,
Iv been hairdressing 13 yrs lol

My hairdressing tutor from years back told me that washing up liquid fades the colour ... Put that to the test :)

My hairdressing tutor from years back told me that washing up liquid fades the colour ... Put that to the test :)

Oh beejesus don't think about it, if your hair is already damaged it will be like wire wool, you need moisture and fairy liquid would do that,
Go to a salon and see a professional so your hair is still attached to your head x

To be honest I think that you really suit dark hair, it really makes your eyes so blue! I also think that you have a cool skin tone, which suits the cool-toned shades.

I think if you want a change ombre colour would be a good choice since you could keep a deeper brown base against your skin tone (will also tone down the red) and begin lifting the ends up lightened colour will probably have more of a toffee colour, but your colourist would need to strand test to see how much colour would lift out. Over time you could slowly keep lightening it up, but I personally would keep your base dark.

In fact if I could do anything I would do this to your hair!
dark-brown-hair.jpg

Just my opinion! :)

I have just seen all the reply's I have had on this. Thank you all for replying.

I went for a consultation after deciding to have a few lighter tones put through my hair to give it a bit of definition. I now have caramel highlights all over. They went quite blonde at first but the stylist toned them down as I didn't want stripes as such. I have a dark brown base around the highlights which is a semi permanent and you can see the red coming through a little bit. I know this will keep happening....BUT it's autumn and I think it looks really nice and suited to the season.

It cost £75 and my hair was actually in better condition than I thought. I think I just needed a good chop!

I love your comments on how the darker hair would suit me. You're right, but I had been that colour for so long before I went red and just wanted to try something I never had before. I also wanted some different colours going through as I wear my hair up a lot at work and I like it look nice. Being a Beauty Therapist it's kind of important ;)

Thanks again for taking the time to comment xx

I have just seen all the reply's I have had on this. Thank you all for replying.

I went for a consultation after deciding to have a few lighter tones put through my hair to give it a bit of definition. I now have caramel highlights all over. They went quite blonde at first but the stylist toned them down as I didn't want stripes as such. I have a dark brown base around the highlights which is a semi permanent and you can see the red coming through a little bit. I know this will keep happening....BUT it's autumn and I think it looks really nice and suited to the season.

It cost £75 and my hair was actually in better condition than I thought. I think I just needed a good chop!

I love your comments on how the darker hair would suit me. You're right, but I had been that colour for so long before I went red and just wanted to try something I never had before. I also wanted some different colours going through as I wear my hair up a lot at work and I like it look nice. Being a Beauty Therapist it's kind of important ;)

Sounds lovely have you got a pic of the new colour? I'm the same as you going from dark reddish to a similar colour on thurs eek x

Have you got a pic? X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1381401781.022323.jpg
Sorry it's taken so long for a photo. Here it is a few weeks after I had it done. Red is coming back but I think it looks quite nice for autumn :) x

Latest posts

Back