can tips be bad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illijanna

Reaction score
I have just used tips from nailite and one of my own nail tips broke without knocking it too badly,also 3 other people that I applied these tips on have had the same problem.They are just snapping!:|Am I doing something very wrong.As a beginner this is a nightmare,on my course I was doing really well and got praised for my applications. Can any one help me with this please?

The strength is not in the tip but in the product overlay. In saying that though some really cheap tips can have a higher oil content and therefore dont adhere as well.

You dont say in your profile how far you are into your training and also what products etc you are using.

It may not be the tips that are the problem but something else.

I have just done the carlton institute training for 4 days and am working towards my nvq and ihbc qualifications.
I am currently using the acrylics that were used during the course and was using gentle gel but found this really weak,have just experimented with star nails gel.As it was apparantly the best at my local beauty wholesalers?

oil content in tips, well i learn something everyday, tips should be made from "virgin ABS plastic" and for all you geeks that buff before applying, try this experiment, get a practise finger and apply to a tip without buffing, then try and get the acrylic off (unless it's an old fashioned nylon tip) you won't have much luck, acrylic will stick like sh.. to a blanket even if you dont buff, try patting your product into place, before wiping it forward, i have NEVER buffed a tip EVER, all i do is blend it in, then apply, saves a sh...... of time

This is a quote taken from "The Complete Nail Technician" by Marian Newman

ABS plastic or acetate tips
A good quality tip is made from "virgin" ABS plastic. ABS is a plastic within the acrylic family; it is relatively strong and can be made in many different colours. Most tips today are made from ABS plastic, but occasionally a tip may be made from another type of plastic called acetate. These tips have a transclucent quality and are usually more transparent than traditional tips. They tend to be cheaper and were originally made for the false nails that were sold for retail use to be stuck over the whole nail. These are not suitable for artificial nail systems as they are difficult to blend into the natural nail and have a higher oil content that may affect the overlay.

I knew I had read it somewhere LOL.

Just as a carry on from the above which might explain why some tips might be weaker than others:

Making the tip
Tips are manufactured by pouring liquid ABS plastic into a mould that is shaped rather like a tree with a central 'stalk' and the tips coming out of the side like branches. The little rough buts on the end of tips show where they were removed from the main 'stalk'. The 'stalks' that are left after the tips have been removed are sometimes melted down my manufacturers and reused to make more tips (rather like remould tyres). This obviously helps manufacturers to keep costs down but, like some remoulded tyres, the tips can have weak spots. 'Virgin' plastic is a plastic that has been freshly made and not mixed with the melted 'stalks'

Courtesy of The Complete Nail Technician.

illijanna said:
I am currently using the acrylics that were used during the course and was using gentle gel but found this really weak,have just experimented with star nails gel.As it was apparantly the best at my local beauty wholesalers?

hi! i tried the star nails gel and found that i got some breaking, it seemed quite brittle, try getting sample kits of a few companies and see which one is best for you, i use young nails gel now. and what L&P system came with your kit? the stuff we got in our kit was awful, my models would have them all off within a week, i have gone back and tried using these products just to see whether it was my aplication while i was training that was the problem but it still happened now i use NSI which i find really strong. i just used a method of trial and error until i found the products that suited me, most of the best L&P and gel products aren't available from your local wholesaler you usually have to get them directly from the company

HTH

Latest posts

Back