Can you have a salon and a baby?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
So many salon owners sell their salons because they want to start a family.

Is there anyone that does both- start a family and keep their salons? How manageable/ realistic is this?

Those who have sold their business to have a baby/ children, why did you do this? Why not do both- was it financially you wouldn't be able to afford to pay someone to cover your hours? Or was it something else?

I know this is a bit of a random topic but just interested in people's reasons.

I'm 6 months in to my new salon. I have no kids. I also have no life outside the salon as it's 24/7. When I finish work, I come home and continue working.

It's hard, very hard.

I opened my salon in the June and fell pregnant in the September, gave birth the following June. Worked right up until I had her (2 days over due)

I've learnt a good manager is the key, 3 years down the line, as much as I thought I could do everything I can't. I now work 2.5 days a week + paperwork etc with a nearly 3 year old.

I've had two babies in the ten years I've had my salon. I was very fortunate that I could work literally right up to the moment my waters broke, I had two weeks holiday after birth & straight back to it. Both my husband & my amazing parents supported me through the sleepless nights & the pure exhaustion (I even managed to pump breast milk between clients) but I did it because I loved my work & my babies & lets face it, we are strong independent women & we can do what ever we set our minds to haha!!! I have to admit that without my parents help I'd struggle to work at all, the cost of childcare is crazy!!

I have a salon and 2 babies (1&2) and trying for a 3rd I only work evenings 6 to 10pm by appointment only and I am the only one in the salon. I have my babies all day then head to work at 5 when hubby comes home!!! I'm super busy as the late appointments suit so many people. Like others have said I too worked right up to giving birth..... literally the day I finished I gave birth, took 2 weeks off with my first and 4 weeks with my 2nd- only cos it was a section!!! Life is hectic but I love my work and love being able to look after my babies all day, if you're determined you'll find a way

I am due to have my first in July [emoji51] I have had my salon for 5 years and have built up a successful business. I work alone and don't plan on having anyone in while I'm off or when I come back. I plan on having about 10 weeks off and then coming back part time. I hope to work up to my due date but for the last three weeks it will be very short days. I have saved up enough money (hopefully) so I don't have to worry for 6 months. And I have support of family who all live in the same town to help look after baby. My clients will have to miss a couple of appointments or find somewhere else to go while I'm off but majority will be back. And if not I am always turning new clients away so I believe I can/will build it back up again. I won't be coming back full time so theoretically I won't be able to fit them all back in anyway. The only thing I may consider doing is having someone rent my room (I only have a 1 treatment room salon) 1 day a week when I'm back doing something complimentary to what I already offer. I know how much I need to take in a week to pay the bills so as long as I make that I'm happy.

So many salon owners sell their salons because they want to start a family.

Is there anyone that does both- start a family and keep their salons? How manageable/ realistic is this?

Those who have sold their business to have a baby/ children, why did you do this? Why not do both- was it financially you wouldn't be able to afford to pay someone to cover your hours? Or was it something else?

I know this is a bit of a random topic but just interested in people's reasons.

I have a baby and run a small beauty salon

I am feeling in the same situation, I have had my salon 3 years and am now pregnant. I have 1 other therapist working for me who will take over while I go on maternity. But I am extremely anxious about what will happen, if my takings will go down and how I will afford my bills, as I am the main therapist.
And I only have my Mam for baby sitting a little bit, she works full time and so does my partner.
I am planning to go back part time and just see what happens if it doesn't work I will have to adapt and rethink it, the baby is going to be the most important think to me ! Xx

I run a small one therapist salon above a hairdressers. I opened oct 2015 and found out I was pregnant in Nov 2015. Bad timing but thats life. I worked until 4 weeks to due date but baby girl had to come early. I then went back after 4 months. I did however do one keep in touch Day, which was only open to my regulars on a first come first serve basis.( I sent out a mass text) I only lost a few clients, but two of those were a blessing to lose [emoji23]
I carried on breast feeding, pumping between clients and if ever I got a cancellation, I would nip and feed/see her.
I only work 2/3 days a week in salon which suits me at the moment, it's hard being so busy with family life and salon but worth it. I still appreciate that it's all under my control and if I need time with my family then I can adjust my hours to suit our needs.

I think whatever you decide to do, remember you have built clients up once so you can do it again, take the time you need with your baby.

Hope another story of working newbie mum's is of help xx

I'm in a different position as I work from my home salon.

But I had my last client on Tuesday evening and my son was born at 4am on the Wednesday morning. I then started back to work when he was 5 days old. My OH looks after him while im working and then i have him while he works (he works evenings). I'm also breastfeeding.

Be under no illusions, it is very hard work, but it can be done - at least on a smaller scale.

Im in same situation. Ive had ny salon 3 years now
Id love to start a family keep putting off for business

Latest posts

Back