Can't get gel polish off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordon

Reaction score
I've got a customer in and in trying to soak her gel polish off but it won't budge [emoji17]
She does it herself. And she said it was only a fiver off eBay.

I've never come across one like this it's solid has anyone else come across one like this? X

Yup, client had it applied in South Africa, told it was Shellac!!! Anyway i had to buff it all off after an hour it was gone :(

Oh there's some nasty stuff out there :mad:

Yup, client had it applied in South Africa, told it was Shellac!!! Anyway i had to buff it all off after an hour it was gone :(

Well this could have been me writing this exactly the same thing happened to me applied in the same country mentioned

Some gel polish brands need the top coat buffed off before soaking, perhaps that was the case. The top coat is non-penetrable but the colour coats are

Well this could have been me writing this exactly the same thing happened to me applied in the same country mentioned

Me too! Different country tho :)

I've had some nightmares with this. There are a few salons here (in Spain) that advertise Shellac and actually a lot of it is Blue Sky or worse. I've had a few of ladies come for Mani's & Pedi's and I've not been able to shift the polish at all. One of my regular clients is still suffering from wrecked nails 6 months later. I advise they go back to where they had the treatment for removal. All you can do is educate your clients & make them aware that you get what you pay for. x

Some gel polish brands need the top coat buffed off before soaking, perhaps that was the case. The top coat is non-penetrable but the colour coats are
I always buff the topcoat off, the nails were sat in their foils forever I filed it off in the end. It was a joke.

They advertise as Shellac?! They can't do that! I was recently flicking through a Facebook of a local mobile beautician an she had displayed a picture of her 'gel and shellac' collection which was bottles of Jessica Geleration but then that CCO stuff and a bottle that looked like Gelish same font and style but it said gel polish instead. :S

Oh there's some nasty stuff out there :mad:
I don't understand how they can manufacture these things for the public even in other countries, a professional product can be dangerous to an untrained hand do it makes even less sense to create one for the public for everyone to use? And that stuff from China [emoji15] scary!

But the best part was when she told me how much she paid she said I should go buy some an save myself some money [emoji15] x

I don't understand how they can manufacture these things for the public even in other countries, a professional product can be dangerous to an untrained hand do it makes even less sense to create one for the public for everyone to use? And that stuff from China
emoji15.png
scary!
This is the problem with apparent 'professional techs' buying their products from eBay just to save a few ££. They simply don't know what they're buying or where it may originate regardless of what the bottle or advert may say o_O
And it seems pretty much anything can be bought and sold on eBay!

This is the problem with apparent 'professional techs' buying their products from eBay just to save a few ££. They simply don't know what they're buying or where it may originate regardless of what the bottle or advert may say o_O
And it seems pretty much anything can be bought and sold on eBay!
I read an article on eBay on behalf of eBay explaining the difference between fake and genuine gels and shellac being sold on eBay an how to avoid being ripped off. I thought my jaw was going to drop off haha how irresponsible! I recently read a similar article by eBay explaining the difference between MAC makeup products so I decided to investigate and searched on eBay for my foundation which from mac is 21 quid free delivery and they're always throwing free samples at you, on eBay it was selling for around 30 quid and about 5 pounds postage was expected?! I just do not get the stingy beauty evader mentality! It's probably fake and full of rat pee and lead! X

New I read an article on eBay on behalf of eBay explaining the difference between fake and genuine gels and shellac being sold on eBay an how to avoid being ripped off. I thought my jaw was going to drop off haha how irresponsible! I recently read a similar article by eBay explaining the difference between MAC makeup products so I decided to investigate and searched on eBay for my foundation which from mac is 21 quid free delivery and they're always throwing free samples at you, on eBay it was selling for around 30 quid and about 5 pounds postage was expected?! I just do not get the stingy beauty evader mentality! It's probably fake and full of rat pee and lead! X
I've read a couple of similar articles on there too and the information is SO bad!! It would be interesting to know who their supposed 'experts' are lol

The problem is some people place more importance on saving a £ than the actual worth of an item. It's a very short sighted way of living. You think you're getting a bargain but 9 times out of 10 you don't.

I've read a couple of similar articles on there too and the information is SO bad!! It would be interesting to know who their supposed 'experts' are lol

The problem is some people place more importance on saving a £ than the actual worth of an item. It's a very short sighted way of living. You think you're getting a bargain but 9 times out of 10 you don't.
Haha I would too! I don't consider myself to be the be all and end all of the nail world but I can look after my customers and keep them safe whilst they're at my desk and I think it's disgraceful how many people are just in this to make a quick penny and don't give a toss about endangering customers or hurting them [emoji17] and I've seen people insinuating they are of that ilk on here, we're not even safe here.

I think this is becoming a big issue and harming the industry reputation especially since the public are more aware of mma use and etc. Something needs to be done to tighten up the sales of these products. I.e if your professional and can prove it to the wholesalers you can have the professional products. If your not then get down to boots or pay to get it done properly. The idea that techs would buy this rubbish of eBay and either be oblivious to the dangers or not care about providing a professional service is worrying. Also customers really need to understand that just cos it looks like nail polish under a blue light it IS NOT! My own sister and her mate decided to buy some stuff of eBay (I know!! But she lives at uni) anyway she bought some unknown brand but seen as they are students and it will have been cheap let's assume blue sky. She had an awful reaction to it where all her cuticles and some of the skin up her fingers blistered if burnt and the bottom of her finger pulled away from the nail plate. Real mess. I think it was a combination of buying s**t products and undercuring. Sorry rant over!!

I think this is becoming a big issue and harming the industry reputation especially since the public are more aware of mma use and etc. Something needs to be done to tighten up the sales of these products. I.e if your professional and can prove it to the wholesalers you can have the professional products. If your not then get down to boots or pay to get it done properly. The idea that techs would buy this rubbish of eBay and either be oblivious to the dangers or not care about providing a professional service is worrying. Also customers really need to understand that just cos it looks like nail polish under a blue light it IS NOT! My own sister and her mate decided to buy some stuff of eBay (I know!! But she lives at uni) anyway she bought some unknown brand but seen as they are students and it will have been cheap let's assume blue sky. She had an awful reaction to it where all her cuticles and some of the skin up her fingers blistered if burnt and the bottom of her finger pulled away from the nail plate. Real mess. I think it was a combination of buying s**t products and undercuring. Sorry rant over!!
The real problem as I see it is the so called qualified professional who thinks it's acceptable, or good business, to buy this rubbish! Been in the industry for 2 minutes and they think they know it all. They genuinely don't see the damage they're doing to the reputation of the industry. They keep prices low, they keep professionalism low and they keep the clients expectations low. A total disservice to all of us who try to do better :mad:

Hear hear to both of the last two comments! Another thing that should be changed is when you sign up to some websites (can't remember which right this second but I think salons direct and salon services are culprits if I remember correctly) get you to tick a box to prove your a pro. No certificate based evidence required. X

Yes I have thought that about a couple. Salon services are strict in that they make you visit a store go register and show your id and certs but you can order from their sister company beauty express with many of the same products in the brochure just with the tick box?

Latest posts

Back