Card payment systems help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always used iZettle, no contract, no monthly fee, I've a home salon so it works well for me, most of my treatments are set up in the app and it will email customers receipts to them as well as showing it on the iPad/phone screen, so really easy

I Use PayPal Here card machine. A one off fee of about £45 for the machine and then a small percentage of any transaction.

To the op. I would start out with a PAYG one rather than rental. You can always change it to a rental one when you're a little further down the line. You'll also have a better idea of takings and costs by then.

Some of the payg ones also get cheaper the more you put through. They'll never be on a par with monthly rental but it all helps. Don't forget that monthly rental usually ties you into a contract for a minimum of 3 years. If you come out of contract, you have to pay the lost rental costs, but you can take the contract with you if you move.

Vic x

To the op. I would start out with a PAYG one rather than rental. You can always change it to a rental one when you're a little further down the line. You'll also have a better idea of takings and costs by then.

Some of the payg ones also get cheaper the more you put through. They'll never be on a par with monthly rental but it all helps. Don't forget that monthly rental usually ties you into a contract for a minimum of 3 years. If you come out of contract, you have to pay the lost rental costs, but you can take the contract with you if you move.

Vic x

Thank you for the advice :) x

I have just got an Izettle.... I paid for the machine £45 and then pay per transaction 2.75% It hooks up with a mobile app, really easy to use :)

I always paid a monthly fee and had a terminal with a till roll. However when I moved due to poor connections the only device I could use successfully was one of the mobile ones - I have Worldpay Zinc. I really like it - yes you do pay higher on transactions but there is no monthly fee and one thing I love is being able to send a payment request by email, which I could not do with my other traditional set up - ideal for deposits on booking. Plus you have no forms to fill out for card compliance or paper rolls to buy, so unless you are earning a certain amount go with the PAYG options.

Last edited:
I started out with a Barclays everywhere machine but it's quite high at like 2.7% per transaction. I'm now with clover and its a lovely little iPad kind of device (looks v posh!) You Can use the back office system to generate your weekly numbers, you can print, text or email receipts too. It's 22 pm then 0.7 per transaction I believe! If you want me to recommend you let me know and I'll send you the contact details x
Do you have any uk contact details for clover?

I have used sum up now for 2 years! It's brilliant! The contactless machine cost me £30 on offer. Then you only pay 2% per transaction. So no monthly our goings! I charge my clients that 2% which most are happy to pay for the convenience.
It will need wifi or 3G on your mobile to use :)

I have used sum up now for 2 years! It's brilliant! The contactless machine cost me £30 on offer. Then you only pay 2% per transaction. So no monthly our goings! I charge my clients that 2% which most are happy to pay for the convenience.
It will need wifi or 3G on your mobile to use :)

Is this a contract? Sounds very good :)

I second Izettle they charge on transaction I just add that to the fee if customer wants to pay by card

I use izettle too but I don't charge clients for the fee.

Sum up is brill!

I started out with a Barclays everywhere machine but it's quite high at like 2.7% per transaction. I'm now with clover and its a lovely little iPad kind of device (looks v posh!) You Can use the back office system to generate your weekly numbers, you can print, text or email receipts too. It's 22 pm then 0.7 per transaction I believe! If you want me to recommend you let me know and I'll send you the contact details x
Everyone please stay away from Barclay card payment I have my salon 7 years first 5 years I had Barclay card payment I thought having card payment in my salon trough the bank who I work with would be good deal but I found out I was Soo wrong and having Barclay card payment cost me thousands in that 5 years. I am with Worldpay now. here is one example Barclay card payment charge for Visa Debit card payment 1.9% Worldpay charges for same payment 0.39% Stay away from Barclay card payment

Everyone please stay away from Barclay card payment I have my salon 7 years first 5 years I had Barclay card payment I thought having card payment in my salon trough the bank who I work with would be good deal but I found out I was Soo wrong and having Barclay card payment cost me thousands in that 5 years. I am with Worldpay now. here is one example Barclay card payment charge for Visa Debit card payment 1.9% Worldpay charges for same payment 0.39% Stay away from Barclay card payment
Unfortunately, you're not the only one to be caught out. Most major UK banks are a rip off making you jump through hoops.

I'll have a look at worldpay, as I was looking at sum up but if worldpay is a smaller percentage I'll look at them

I'll have a look at worldpay, as I was looking at sum up but if worldpay is a smaller percentage I'll look at them
The downside for some people is that you have a contract and monthly fee to pay with WorldPay.

The downside for some people is that you have a contract and monthly fee to pay with WorldPay.

Ahh I think I would prefer to go without a monthly contract! Thanks for that I hadn't looked into worldpay yet :)

Latest posts

Back