Cash & Cheques

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivone

Reaction score
I'm due to open my beauty room next month and because I've got a 6 month trial I'm loathed to pay for a credit/debit card machine until I know I'm going to be staying there and bringing in a profit, so I was wondering if it is still acceptable to take cheques (with a guarantee card).

There is a cash point machine within a stones throw away from the gym so people could draw the cash out which would be better.

Although once my 6 month trial is over and we decide to go ahead with the agreement then I will look into investing in the credit/debit card machine.

Any comments would be grateful.

hey Ive been renting my beauty room for a year and I only take cash and cheque. Nobody minds and as we are close to a cash point aswell if they haven't got a cheque book they dont mind going to the cash point. The hairdressers that I work within dont have a card machine either and never have done for the last 10 years. And they do fine without one. I think that most people don't expect a small business to have one.

hope that helps

Lily x

I've been in business at 2 venues for 2 years+ and only accept cash or cheques.

I only find it a problem with a new client, so my advice to you is get whoever takes a booking to alway state that its cash or cheque.

i've had new clients run to cashpoints to pay me before, meanwhile, I'm pacing up and down having kittens until they return.

I am not responsible for either reception so I can't dictate too much, BUT the hairdressers that I rent from also doesn't have a debit machine and they do just dandy.

I did consider taking a mobile debit machine on about 6 months ago, and I am soooooo pleased that I didn't as my appointments dipped with the credit-crunch-hysteria. I would sign up if and when I get consistent appointments.

you are definitely doing the right thing.

hey Ive been renting my beauty room for a year and I only take cash and cheque. Nobody minds and as we are close to a cash point aswell if they haven't got a cheque book they dont mind going to the cash point. The hairdressers that I work within dont have a card machine either and never have done for the last 10 years. And they do fine without one. I think that most people don't expect a small business to have one.

hope that helps

Lily x

Oh thats put my mind at ease - thanks :) I thought I might lose out on clients.

The main problem I had with not having a credit card machine is that it affected my retail, didn't sell much at all before I had the card machine and a lot of my clients pay by credit card as most of them have cashback, loyalty schemes etc,

All of my new clients pay by card, infact the only people that pay by cash are the ones having treatments under £20 anything over that and it all goes on the card machine.

There are companies that have short term agreements on card machines, admittably they are not cheap but imo worth having.

I suppose it also depends on how busy you are, if you are open 6 days a week then I would say a card machine is vital but if your only in 2 days a week probably not much point paying for one.

The salon I worked in before didn't have a card machine (or even a proper cash til) and clients used to moan like hell about it !!

I only operate mobile so can't comment as a business owner. However, as a consumer, I most definitely do not spend half as much with my nail salon beauty therapist as I would do if they had card machines simply because I usually bring the correct amount of cash or have popped to the cashpoint just beforehand.

In fact on the odd occasion over the years when I've needed treatments but it's a week away from payday, I've gone to another salon which is much more expensive, purely because I could put the cost on my credit card.

Surely I'm not the only one who's more likely to up-spend if the cost is going on my debit/credit card with a bit of impulse buying? I could be wrong ....

Latest posts

Back