Change of business name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hello ladies and gents,
i am considering changing my salons name, is there any legalities i need to consider?
does it cost a lot?
or is it just a case of letting the bank, accountants etc know?

any information or past experiences would be appreciated!
thank you in advance! xxxx

Hi,

Yes, you will need to let your bank know if your account is in your business name. There isn't much else you need to do except change the name in all the places you use it. It's more of a branding issue rather than a legal one as from a legal point of view you are self employed in your own name (or a limited company which can also use a trading name).

The only other thing is to ensure you don't infringe any existing trademark with the new name. And I would recommend that you communicate clearly to your customers that it's a new name and not a change of ownership.

Good luck with the new name!

Jamie

Hi,

Yes, you will need to let your bank know if your account is in your business name. There isn't much else you need to do except change the name in all the places you use it. It's more of a branding issue rather than a legal one as from a legal point of view you are self employed in your own name (or a limited company which can also use a trading name).

The only other thing is to ensure you don't infringe any existing trademark with the new name. And I would recommend that you communicate clearly to your customers that it's a new name and not a change of ownership.

Good luck with the new name!

Jamie
Ahh thank you very much! That's exactly what I needed to know!
Thank you! Xx

A

Last edited:
Is the new name available as a web site? And Facebook page? Don't change it until you know you can trade under that name. Have a look at the IPO and check it isn't trademarked under the category you want. Then you can let everyone know. You may find that company's then take it as a new contract so be aware that it may tie you into things x

Latest posts

Back