Chrome help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimaro

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to nail business and having right now a huge dilemma with chrome powder. I ordered it from ebay, have tried kaga gel polish with ceasar shops non wipe top coat and tried to apply the powder with applicator. Either it won't stick at all, or it doesn't get that mirror effect, you can still see the "glitters".
Have tried with need gel polishes and need top coat with cleanser, and just dry wiped it. But still won't get that look.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong coz have tried so many different ways. Can it be the powders fault ? Can I use old applicator (with have used o the chrome or do i always have to get a new one ?

Please you mighty nail folks, help a poor girl out !

I am also having problems with the chrome powders! Same sort of thing, although I am using shellac...base coat, two colour coats, top coat/cure, wipe and cure again and then add the powder but it just doesn't seem to work there are parts of that it just doesn't take to! Please help! X

You could try flash curing the top coat for about 10/20 seconds and then apply the chrome and finish curing . You need to keep brushing in till all the particles have been worked in

It could of course be your powder and I would encourage everyone NOT to buy the Chrome pigments off e bay . A lot of them may have a high content of aluminium and /or magnesium fluoride and are probably not cosmetic grade

Thanks, I bought the powders from Wildflowers. So I should just do the two coats of colour and cure and then top coat (I only have shellac top coat - not no wipe top coat) and cure for 10/20 seconds - do I need to wipe the sticker layer off or not?

Ah Ok that may be where it is going wrong . Most of the Chromes need a non wipe but it may work and I think you would just have to try both ways wiping it and not wiping it and see which gives you the best result

Every chrome powder I have seen requires that you use a no-wipe top coat, scrub in the chrome powder and then top with no-wipe top coat.

I have non wipe top coat and still no luck :/ Have to do some googling on good chrome powders. It's just harder coz I live in Finland and when ordering online the shipping cost can go way up.

But thanks for the quick responses. Have to just keep on trying and trying :)

have you guys applied the powder with a rubber tipped pusher? like a silicone one? I do base coat x1 colour coat x2 then thin layer of no wipe tp coat, aply powder then do 2x normal top coats (make sure you brush all excess away first or this will cause the sparkle effect in the chrome)

What no wipe top coat do you use?

I'm doing all different types of ways. No wipe, wipe etc yet always comes out silver chrome or off silver, not to the coloured gel.
Anyone shed any light on this I'll be very grateful!

This video trouble shoots what to do if chrome doesn't stick to your non wipe top coat

It sticks fine, it's just the differently colours with gels. I've tried reds and it doesn't come out rose gold etc.

Following I used shellac hot pop pink but just a rose tinge not full rose gold

Latest posts

Back