Client asking for a discount, what's the best comeback?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all I have a very high maintenance client (proper pain in the Bum) however she is lovely but regularly she asks for a Discount.... Now what's your best comebacks on this subject? Personally I think it's bloody rude! I mean this is my livelyhood, not a hobby!

I want to be firm but professional... Maybe with a huge dash of sarcasm!❤️

Does she tip? If not tell her she can take it out of your tip! Probably not the best thing to say, but how cheeky. Prices are prices, but I suppose some people are always out for a bargain/to screw someone.

I'd say your prices have been carefully considered to cover your materials,overheads and time and to remain competative, that you don't add on to take off.

I would say you don't offer discounts as you are already offering the lowest possible price to cover overheads and a wage.
Maybe then tell her you run very occasional discounts at your discretion and for her to keep an eye out.

Haha never tips! The worst part is she's having her second set of extensions in 2 months because she didn't realise when having maintenance they need to be tidied up on the ends. ( I measured, she has lost 0.3 cm due to evening out the ends of the extensions) called me all weekend and text me at 11pm! So now she wants a full new set as she wants an extra 2 inches!!!!

Wow, how rude...Tell her that you give customer recommendation discounts. For every new customer that comes in thanks to her, she will get 10% off of her next service, or something like that....

Probably don't take my approach...

"When my mortgage/rent gets discounted I'll let you know :)"

My response! It's deffo more sugar coated than what I wanted to say!

Attachments

• 1482358467191.jpg
    1482358467191.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 469
Excuse the poor spelling and grammar I'm poorly sick and high on cold & flu syrup!

"My profit margins are minimal anyway so there's nothing more I can do"

"I thought about offering discounts but found it fairer just to quote my best price"

"My outgoings/products have just gone up but I'm keeping my prices the same, so in a way you're already getting one hahahaaaa"

"I can offer 5% if you book and pay for 10 treatments in advance" (??[emoji15])

We have a handful of clients who try and bargain on the price. Possibly as my friend who has had the salon for 12 years started small from her house. Some clients think they should (a decade on) pay the same price for treatments. My friend is finding it hard to stand up to them as they say things like "we supported you when you first started -we should have some discount now) all the while carrying a designer bag and driving a 4x4! [emoji51]

So I've decided you make a small stand up card sign for the desk that says 'please don't bargain with us on the price as we don't compromise on your treatment'

I don't even explain myself just say I'm really sorry but no and then change the subject by saying if you could let me know asap if you still need to book if not don't worry, remain overly polite....make them think you don't need their custom even if you do

Last edited:
I've never had anyone ask me this- must be lucky!
If they did I would say no and remind them of the monthly promotions I email to them and advertise on my Facebook and web sites.

Shame it sounds like most of the geeks here have never dealt with haggling clients ! They always ask for discount , if they don't ask they don't get . Hence why I enjoy living on my country.
And we don't get offended if we ask for discount or if we get asked for discount, it is just a part of the culture we have.
Like hello how are you, oh can I get a discount, what's your best price.

I even haggle when I go into Jane Norman when I come to the uk and guess what , I actually get a discount !
If you don't ask you don't get , it's simple.

So don't be offended, I would be happy she wants to come back to you.

I suppose it the way we we brought up and the culture you live in or are used to. So perhaps she didn't mean to sound rude.

[edited to remove ethnic reference]

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a handful of clients who try and bargain on the price. Possibly as my friend who has had the salon for 12 years started small from her house. Some clients think they should (a decade on) pay the same price for treatments. My friend is finding it hard to stand up to them as they say things like "we supported you when you first started -we should have some discount now) all the while carrying a designer bag and driving a 4x4! [emoji51]

So I've decided you make a small stand up card sign for the desk that says 'please don't bargain with us on the price as we don't compromise on your treatment'

Love this! You can also quote the "rate if retail inflation" see how that goes down

I used to have a lady who owned a Londis ask all the time. She would say oh but im your neighbour. Eventually i said ok if i can get a discount whenever i use your shop. She never asked again lol xx

Unfortunately some clients are very narrowed minded & also slightly delusional when it comes to our industry they think ...."oh well they've just charged £30 (or whatever) so they've earned £30!" they see that purely as profit, not as :
*Time
*Product
*consumables
*professionalism
*experience
*knowledge
*heating
*electricity
.....NOT TO MENTION TAX & NATIONAL INSURANCE!!! funny that!!!!

Just gently inform her that your costs have actually gone up not down, she's already getting a discount as u have decided not to raise your prices this year

I've had clients try to "link" discounts. My barbershop did a Holiday men's hair trim, 15% off for returning clients only. At the same time, I am offering a 10% discount for first-time clients. I've had clients raging out because they couldn't add the 10% and 15%. You cant be both a returning and a first time client :)

If she spends a lot of money with I would try to keep her sweet and offer something as simple as a conditioning treatment when she has her hair cut between extension refits?x

Latest posts

Back