Client base - yours or the salon owners?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally if I had an employee who would not sign a contract of employment its quite simple - they would not get the job!

As a salon owner - you have to protect your business. You would be a fool not too. I agree actually, the 10 mile radius is extreme after reading a lot of posts. However, it is easy for someone to say that their clients are their clients when it is not their business. Facts are an employee is using the owners premises, the owners equipment and stock, and the salons reputation - this is not coming out of their pocket - therefore the salon owner has every right to apply terms to protect their business.

I would of thought that if you are a therapist renting a room within a hairdressers & you yourself do the promotions, marketing & advertising to grow your business then strictly speaking they would be your clients.

However, the situation is entirely different for employed therapists. IMO, clients come to a salon because of the salon's reputation & the sheer hard work of the owner to achieve that. Yes, the reputation could also be because of an individual therapist but ultimately the salon owner carries the can, good or bad.

To clarify any ambiguity I have a clause in my employees contracts specifying that any clients treated are clients of the salon, NOT an individual therapist.

I also have a bit near the signature line stating that failure to sign will not invalidate the contract.

As mentioned already, us salon owners need to protect our business & for me, if somebody wants the job, then the job is on my terms, simple as.

However, I do think it's a bit extreme to have a clause for an 8-10 mile radius of non-working & a salon owner may find this difficult to enforce. Depending on your location, 1-2 miles would be deemed fairer.

im no lawyer but you paid rent to her. its your buisness your clients you worked very hard for. i wouldn't worry!! shes trying it on. keep us posted!!

As I said before I still feel it is more posturing on her part - have to wait and see - but hope it is that as who has time to run around when one is trying to establish oneself again.

As I am more than 5 miles away expect to lose a quite a few due to peoples hesitant to travel all that way and those who have thier hair done there may not leave.

Its wait and see for now.

Aeyla

Turning to your specific point Aeyla I think the posters are generally right- both you and the salon have previously acted as if you are self employed and therefore the client base is not exclusive to the salon. If the salon wants to threaten you then let them try0- it would be interesting to see what argument their lawyers might suggest!

Best of luck

:hug: :hug: best of luck too with your new salon

hi i left a salon 3 yrs ago and had a contact with a radias claus. my solicitor said that clients have their own free will which u or the salon owner cannot influence. if people want to follow you she cannot do anything about. most of my clients did follow me and she said she was gonna take it further but never did. i think evan with a contract these things are very hard to prove and also very costly for both parties so not worth the hastle. At the time i was very worried and the solicitor said she was within her rights to take it further and i should not do any of the clients,but i did! its now been 3 yrs and leaving there was the best move i ever made. hope that mayb helps a little x

Latest posts

Back