Client walked out due to me running behind

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou89

Reaction score
Hia guys this is probably really daft. But I have a client who comes to me 1-2 times a week for a blow dry and every few months for foils.
Anyway she changed from her usually day today, then messaged me asking to change the time a couple of times.
Well anyway when she came I was running about 30mins behind due to another client being late. So she waited and once I was ready for her I apologised for keeping her waiting, but she decided to tell me f*** off and walked out the salon.
It's really got to me as this is the first time I've ever kept her waiting and I don't understand why she waited to just tell me to f*** off!
Has the ever happened to anyone or has anyone got any advice incase she gets in touch in the future.

If ever she comes back, which I doubt, I'd explain since she changed her appointment on last minute it was bound that she might be kept waiting. And then I'd tell her to f*** off as well.
Clients who don't respect you even as a human being don't deserve your time. She could have found another way to express her disappointment.

If ever she comes back, which I doubt, I'd explain since she changed her appointment on last minute it was bound that she might be kept waiting. And then I'd tell her to f*** off as well.
Clients who don't respect you even as a human being don't deserve your time. She could have found another way to express her disappointment.

Yea I don't think she will either. I'm still in shock about it, I was never expected that response from her. When she's normally the one thats 10-20mins late and changes days and times last min.
It kinda made me feel like crying sounds silly I know.

:( I hope your okay. Don't take it personally she's just a nasty cow. Chin up Hun. Hugs xxxx

:( I hope your okay. Don't take it personally she's just a nasty cow. Chin up Hun. Hugs xxxx

Thank you, it's hard not to sometimes. I'll be ok just really got to me. But thank you xx

I've had a regular client for 20 years.......:)
Just before Christmas, my apprentice 'walked', and I was on my own in the salon with a colour developing in one chair, I was blow drying another, and the phone was ringing off the hook.:eek:

My normally lovely loyal client walks in....without an appointment....and asks if I could "quickly cut the back of her hair..."!

Obviously, at that time....I could not, and it was quite obvious I was struggling to keep all balls in the air.
I stopped my blow dry, looked at the book, and offered an appointment the following day.

I could tell this didn't go down well....she wanted it done NOW.:mad:

A huff and a puff later, said client leaves the salon.....and has not returned.... missing her next pre book appointment.:oops:

As disappointing as this is, I know I could do no more that day,.......and I'm over it.:cool:

I had this before,some clients are so rude

Hope you are feeling better about it now. If she comes back she can eff off!! Sometimes we get a sharp reminder of how clients can turn on us in a heartbeat.

Same here. I ran late by 10 minutes for a regular and always friendly client. When I invited her in for her appointment she shouted at me telling me it wasn't on to be late. I apologised but she left. I waited til I knew she would be home (about 30 minutes later) and apologised for keeping her waiting and that I valued her custom. She said she felt that I evidently didn't value her and that I took her for granted. After the call I admit to crying and feeling terrible for weeks. Never heard from her again! We are in a harsh business where a thick skin is needed, sad to say. [emoji22] however, where one drops away another invariable fills the gap

I couldn't care less these days, after years of clients being chronicly late then it runs me late.
My doctor always is late and I don't walk out , I wait.

I would say a 10min is ok any longer and I get clients to have cup tea or soak feet hands while waiting as a free bie to relax them while they "wait".

She might have had other things going on and you took the brunt of it so try not to let it bother you however once someone speaks to me in that manner they are one ones that can f*ck right off...
Don't give her another thought.

I believe very few people are brand loyal these days.

Breathe beaut have a few vodka's dnt let her book in again simply and when she asks jst say I'm sorry but I won't tolerate vulgar language yes I was running behind but u carnt hurry perfection ! Politely saying I've bent over backwards for u with changing days and times I'm sorry but I carnt accommodate ur requirements then in your head can be thinking to yourself with a smile on your face oh jog on bonvage f**k off!!!!! X

I wouldn't allow more than 10 minutes late from a client so I wouldn't expect them to accept it vice versa...

However, what I wouldn't tolerate even more is the way she's dealt with this. S**t happens in life and she should've asked to reschedule at which point you could've offered her a discount/freebie...

Don't let her ruin your mood, she could've had a million and one things going on or she could just be a rude client, brush it off and carry on! X

Well anyway when she came I was running about 30mins behind due to another client being late. So she waited and once I was ready for her I apologised for keeping her waiting, but she decided to tell me f*** off and walked out the salon.

Obviously, I'm not condoning her dreadful language at all.

However, 30 minutes is a long time to be kept waiting. Did you explain straight away when she walked in that you were running very late and offer her a drink and a realistic estimate of when you'd be ready or did you more or less ignore her and only apologise when you'd finished your previous client?

If I'd been ignored for 30 minutes, I'd have walked out never to return. I wouldn't have been verbally abusive though. That wasn't warranted.

I think sometimes we bend over backwards to accommodate late clients to the detriment of those arriving on time. If a client is more than 10 minutes late, you need to consider if will affect subsequent appointments and either refuse to do the service or utilise other staff to finish her off. Junior to blow dry etc.

Unfortunately, 99% of the time if the client is not having a great day, they decide to take it out on us! And it's usually nothing to do with us at all.
Please don't take it personally, it's her problem if she can't wait a little longer when she rolls normally in 10-20 mins late! And to speak to you like that as well, you don't need clients like that.

If any client of mine is 10 minutes late or more and it will impact on my next ones time I simply tell them they are too late for their appointment and rebook them for another day.

There's no need for her to talk to you like that, I have had people like that in the past and I have told them to get out of my salon if they can't treat me with respect.

Hia guys this is probably really daft. But I have a client who comes to me 1-2 times a week for a blow dry and every few months for foils.
Anyway she changed from her usually day today, then messaged me asking to change the time a couple of times.
It's really got to me as this is the first time I've ever kept her waiting and I don't understand why she waited to just tell me to f*** off!
Has the ever happened to anyone or has anyone got any advice incase she gets in touch in the future.
Don't let it bother you, there are some really horrible people in this world, and unfortunately until you're in situations like mentioned above, you don't get to see the "real" person behind that lovely smile and graciousness that we see when we bend over backwards for them, but like a spoiled child they turn in seconds to someone you could never imagine them being! That's why this industry is so fun! don't stress about it laugh it off, if that's the "real" her, do you really want clients like that?

If she is going to speak to you like that then she is not a client worth having!
You've now seen her true colours and you can hold your head high and know that you did all you could in the circumstances. Chin up x

Whilst I completely agree that this is unacceptable (and I wouldn't let the client book in again without a full on humble apology), I also agree that you probably were the final straw in massive build up of things going on for that client that day/week/month/year, and you mustn't take it personally, which still doesn't make it acceptable. If this is a one-off, then it isn't down to the way you treat clients. If your clients don't like you or don't think you're good enough, you will have more than one that tell you to f**k off (or more likely just won't turn up for their next appointment or cancel it.)

Latest posts

Back