Clients not turning up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think wether it's a charity one or not it's still a voucher and your time you have booked out for this client!
Like you say not the kind of client you want to gain!
I would leave it until you maybe (hopefully won't) hear from her again and then like attitude says let her know if she makes an appointment to use it and doesn't turn up that it will be void.

Thanks [emoji3]well she hasn't messaged me so far so hopefully she will just not lol xxxx

I wouldn't take the voucher. I would explain that because of the no show last week, with no cancellation that the voucher was no longer valid as you allocated that time for the treatment.

I had a no show today. Three hour appointment. I am so frustrated..

Why aren't you guys taking 20% of the booking price to secure expensive / time consuming appointments? I don't understand.

Why aren't you guys taking 20% of the booking price to secure expensive / time consuming appointments? I don't understand.
Getting deposits is more hassle than it's worth. People just choose the easier option and go elsewhere, we're not in the position of being hard to come by, there's salons on every street corner.

Most clients are respectful, it's weeding out the ones that aren't. If they cancel within 24 hours of their appointment on 2 occasions, THEN I will take a deposit.

I would respectfully disagree. You'll get time wasters constantly, even with the deposit paid. If it was a regular client that had no history of last min cancelling or no show, it would be your discretion not to take a deposit but if it was a new client or a flakey client then anybody with actual plans on really coming have no problem paying the deposit to secure their appointment.

The way I see it is, what we do, we do it well. Why are they choosing us instead of the salon around the corner? If they want to go to the salon around the corner and no show on their dime, that's not my concern. I don't want flakey clients. I don't want clients who'll cancel an expensive treatment on me last minute.

You'd be completely surprised by some people
Client : hi could I book in for eyelash extensions on Saturday please?
Me : no problem, I have 1pm, does that suit?
Client: that's fine, see you then.
Me: now, we do take a booking fee to secure the appointment, it's 20% of the treatment price. We will hold the appointment for 24 hours without it but after that we can't guarantee the appointment. If you cancel the appointment before 24 hours then we refund it fully, if you don't cancel, or you don't come to your appointment you lose it.

Now, the convo goes either of two ways
1. The client says no problem at all, and offers to pay with card there and then or call into salon with cash

2. Client starts humming and hawing.
How much is the extensions? Oh that's very expensive isn't it? I'll have to double check that time, how long does the treatment take? Oh an hour and a half? I might not be out of work in time/have to be back in work before then.

Generally scenario 2 would be no shows anyway. When we opened first we were having more no shows than actual appointments. Taking booking fees put a stop to that. If someone doesn't pay a booking fee and we have someone else who will pay it, looking for that time, they will get that time.

Genuine clients don't mind paying.
Timesink clients do, but who cares? Let them timesink someone else

I think we all have to do what works for us. I've been in the business for over 15 years. I never take deposits. My clientele are generally extremely respectful of my time and give me notice. If they don't for whatever reason, they often offer to pay for the missed appointment. There are the odd clients that I'm 'fully booked' for which means they've buggered me about and I don't want them any more.

My booking system allows me to set deposits for some, none or all of my treatments and one booking system I didn't go for simply because you HAD to take a deposit.

A point to note. You have to call it a booking fee, not a deposit. A deposit can be refunded, a booking fee can't.

Vic x

I'm back, and ranting again.
I had a regular just cancel with less than 24 hrs notice. Her and her best friend always come to me every 10 days/2weeks.
They lady that cancelled didn't actually cancel herself, she always gets her friend to do it but this time her friend has asked if she can take the app which is fine. Except this time she had booked for lashes and nails, the friend who's taking her place now only has nails.
This means £40 and an hour of my time lost today.
I think if the lady who originally had the appointment had contacted me herself to cancel I would of said I had you booked for lashes aswell so there will be a ... Charge. But now it's got me wondering is this why she got her friend to cancel for her? So it's more awkward for me to enforce my cancellation policy?
She is aware of the cancellation policy-they both are for various reasons but they make it extremely difficult for me to enforce it in the way that they cancel on me!
So anyway should I still charge the original lady for her lash app cancellation as I've now lost an hour which I'm probably not going to be able to fill?
I am wondering what her friend will say today as she told me she's had to go away last minute but I did see the original lady in the supermarket yesterday so she def wasn't away then!
Ugh the strain of trying to run a business! Haha [emoji6]

I'm back, and ranting again.
I had a regular just cancel with less than 24 hrs notice. Her and her best friend always come to me every 10 days/2weeks.
They lady that cancelled didn't actually cancel herself, she always gets her friend to do it but this time her friend has asked if she can take the app which is fine. Except this time she had booked for lashes and nails, the friend who's taking her place now only has nails.
This means £40 and an hour of my time lost today.
I think if the lady who originally had the appointment had contacted me herself to cancel I would of said I had you booked for lashes aswell so there will be a ... Charge. But now it's got me wondering is this why she got her friend to cancel for her? So it's more awkward for me to enforce my cancellation policy?
She is aware of the cancellation policy-they both are for various reasons but they make it extremely difficult for me to enforce it in the way that they cancel on me!
So anyway should I still charge the original lady for her lash app cancellation as I've now lost an hour which I'm probably not going to be able to fill?
I am wondering what her friend will say today as she told me she's had to go away last minute but I did see the original lady in the supermarket yesterday so she def wasn't away then!
Ugh the strain of trying to run a business! Haha [emoji6]

Just make it extremely hard for her to book I'm next time! Don't be readily available for the day/date that she wants, make her aware that your VERY BUSY! X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1462260650.437317.jpg

I had this put on my reception desk. And it's been very responsive. Clients acknowledge it and agree with it too x

Genuine clients don't mind paying.
Timesink clients do, but who cares? Let them timesink someone else
It's not about minding, it's about having the means to do so!

Whether that be having funds in the account, the transport to get to my house or the time in their busy lives to get to me...

... and what happens to bookings within 24 hours of an appointment? Or the people who book to come on pay day?

Each to their own but a deposit system just doesn't work for me, I sell perfumes as well and often want payment before ordering but it doesn't work, I end up with less orders, it's just not feasible and I do quite well at weeding out messers x

It's not about minding, it's about having the means to do so!

Whether that be having funds in the account, the transport to get to my house or the time in their busy lives to get to me...

... and what happens to bookings within 24 hours of an appointment? Or the people who book to come on pay day?

Each to their own but a deposit system just doesn't work for me, I sell perfumes as well and often want payment before ordering but it doesn't work, I end up with less orders, it's just not feasible and I do quite well at weeding out messers x
Like I said Emily, it's at your own discretion. In our salon, it's a busy spot. If people decide last min that they can't be bothered to come or as one lady said "oh, is that appointment today? I think I'll leave it until I get paid next week" that's leaving us with a therapist twiddling her thumbs, a loss of 100 euro for us, and not being able to take anyone else because there was little/no notice.

If they can't pay the booking fee, we don't guarantee the appointment. Their financial problems are not my concern, I worry about the financial issues of the salon. We're too busy to waste time on people with no interest in coming for their appointment.

We are also getting strict with clients who show up late to their appointments. Brow shaping especially. It takes me 15 mins. We had one lady arrive 7 mins after her appointment (7 mins before closing time) I explained she had missed half her appointment and we didn't have enough time to take the appointment and do the treatment in the allocated time. She was very annoyed and stated she had wasted her time rushing to the appointment, and didn't think "being a few minutes late" would impact on her treatment.

So apparently her time was valuable, but mine wasn't. I have a lot of commitments outside of work and cannot stay late, especially for people who can't be bothered to show up on time

Like I said Emily, it's at your own discretion. In our salon, it's a busy spot. If people decide last min that they can't be bothered to come or as one lady said "oh, is that appointment today? I think I'll leave it until I get paid next week" that's leaving us with a therapist twiddling her thumbs, a loss of 100 euro for us, and not being able to take anyone else because there was little/no notice.

If they can't pay the booking fee, we don't guarantee the appointment. Their financial problems are not my concern, I worry about the financial issues of the salon. We're too busy to waste time on people with no interest in coming for their appointment.

We are also getting strict with clients who show up late to their appointments. Brow shaping especially. It takes me 15 mins. We had one lady arrive 7 mins after her appointment (7 mins before closing time) I explained she had missed half her appointment and we didn't have enough time to take the appointment and do the treatment in the allocated time. She was very annoyed and stated she had wasted her time rushing to the appointment, and didn't think "being a few minutes late" would impact on her treatment.

So apparently her time was valuable, but mine wasn't. I have a lot of commitments outside of work and cannot stay late, especially for people who can't be bothered to show up on time
I'm exactly the same, apart from anything else I have anxiety for other people's lateness, I don't tolerate more than a couple of minutes but my clients are aware of this and respect it.

If it works for you that's great, my way works for me and your way wouldn't! I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt as like I say it just doesn't work in all situations x

I've just had another day at work and a client not turn up! It's almost getting me down I just don't understand why people do it?!
Had a regular in for her brows who last week booked herself and her daughter in for today, she turned up alone. I said isn't she (daughters name) with you today? She said no she's not feeling well. I said oh as I had her in for her brows aswell today. She just said "yeh I know"
I was speechless, I was just thinking well????? I think she should of told me it would be a single person app. If I booked an app with a friend and then they couldn't come, I would let the place know, I wouldn't just turn up alone! And I would do this before I became a beautician.
Same in a restaurant if you book for 10 people then only 7 or something were going you would let them know surely?
are some people lacking common sense/decency?
I've thought about calling clients the day before to ensure they're still aware of their appointment but I don't think I should be taking time from my day to do this! If you make an app stick to it or cancel in good time.

So apparently her time was valuable, but mine wasn't. I have a lot of commitments outside of work and cannot stay late, especially for people who can't be bothered to show up on time[/QUOTE

!

love it totally agree!

I've just had another day at work and a client not turn up! It's almost getting me down I just don't understand why people do it?!
Had a regular in for her brows who last week booked herself and her daughter in for today, she turned up alone. I said isn't she (daughters name) with you today? She said no she's not feeling well. I said oh as I had her in for her brows aswell today. She just said "yeh I know"
I was speechless, I was just thinking well????? I think she should of told me it would be a single person app. If I booked an app with a friend and then they couldn't come, I would let the place know, I wouldn't just turn up alone! And I would do this before I became a beautician.
Same in a restaurant if you book for 10 people then only 7 or something were going you would let them know surely?
are some people lacking common sense/decency?
I've thought about calling clients the day before to ensure they're still aware of their appointment but I don't think I should be taking time from my day to do this! If you make an app stick to it or cancel in good time.
Oh wow, this must be getting so frustrating for you :mad: You sound like I was at Christmas… I was ready to pack it all in to be honest!! Something needs to change! I have just had new price lists, signage & appointment cards printed all stating the cancellation policy, just as something to show people when they mess about and I have taken deposits from a few people that are previous offenders, but thats not always possible I know. Personally, I have found the best results to be from a quick text or email saying "just confirming your appointment tomorrow at blah blah, cancellations at this stage incur a charge"… People tend to turn up then. The dentist can do it, the chiropractor can do it, training courses can do it, why don't we??? Get tough on them, and try to stay positive.

Oh I hear you!
I still have no shows even with text and email reminders (I use salonlite, it's excellent!) and have a three strikes you're out rule.
As other people have said, if the client doesn't respect you enough to even cancel or apologise then you're better off without them. Although this is easier said than done... I'm far too soft!
Make sure you have a clear cancellation policy, just quote this when contacting no shows.
Your genuine clients will be mortified if they forget or are late... The others can go waste someone else's time
Xxx

I'm so low about this now. I had a client I was waiting for at midday yesterday-she text me saying she wasn't coming as her bf was taking her out for lunch!!
I'm literally gobsmacked, I can't believe my luck! I sat there for the hour missing my £40, with no chance of getting anyone in at such short notice. I just wanted to cry! She's got my app card and price lists which both state my policy. Now I have let her rebook for next week at the same time she's already having her nails done, with the cancellation now on top her app will be £82. She's going to be shocked. And I don't know how I will handle it but I keep thinking about what everyone has said here and if she doesn't like it she can pay then leave. I don't need clients like this. I'm getting new people every week that I hope are genuine and reliable.
When I got home last night I had another client cancel for today and when I woke up this morning I had another one cancel for her app today. I'm so jarred it's like a virus is spreading!
I have now printed off lots of copies of my policy and am going to be handing them out to every client wether they have cancelled before or not! It's the only way of reaching everyone, as not all my clients are on fb or have mobile phones!
I can't carry on like this much longer. The last 4 weeks of people doing this has lost me £300.
Feeling crap and wondering if it's worth it, it truly hurts to be so disrespected!!
[emoji53]

I'm so low about this now. I had a client I was waiting for at midday yesterday-she text me saying she wasn't coming as her bf was taking her out for lunch!!
I'm literally gobsmacked, I can't believe my luck! I sat there for the hour missing my £40, with no chance of getting anyone in at such short notice. I just wanted to cry! She's got my app card and price lists which both state my policy. Now I have let her rebook for next week at the same time she's already having her nails done, with the cancellation now on top her app will be £82. She's going to be shocked. And I don't know how I will handle it but I keep thinking about what everyone has said here and if she doesn't like it she can pay then leave. I don't need clients like this. I'm getting new people every week that I hope are genuine and reliable.
When I got home last night I had another client cancel for today and when I woke up this morning I had another one cancel for her app today. I'm so jarred it's like a virus is spreading!
I have now printed off lots of copies of my policy and am going to be handing them out to every client wether they have cancelled before or not! It's the only way of reaching everyone, as not all my clients are on fb or have mobile phones!
I can't carry on like this much longer. The last 4 weeks of people doing this has lost me £300.
Feeling crap and wondering if it's worth it, it truly hurts to be so disrespected!!
[emoji53]
Is it worth having a booking fee that you take when they book? Easily done through ovatu or similar. A lot of salons do this, especially for more expensive treatments x

Latest posts

Back