Clients not understanding illness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaylieNails

Reaction score
Guys im absolutely sick of clients being so disgusting towards me when I'm ill ( I have a really bad back where when it starts I can't move at all never mind do pedicures etc. ) it's not often but it has unfortunate happened once or twice this year where I've had to cancel a weeks worth of clients. I know it must be super frustrating when you want your treatments doing and then you're told you can't due to something out of your own control but it's also frustrating for Me as a self employed single mum not being able to generate one single penny that week.

I feel like the solution would be to write an apology post but also one that could make them understand I'm not poorly for the sh*ts and giggles I have a son to feed. I'm very bad with words when it comes to writing my point comes across not great sometimes so I just wondered if anyone had any advice on what I could put ?

It's just so hard cause sometimes I just want to quit and get a normal job because I'm made to feel so so guilty which I already do naturally because I hate letting people down but I also do everything I can to try and get them in elsewhere and offer discounts for the inconvenience etc

What else can I do guys im at the end of my tether.

Thanks in advance xx

Don't give up first of all.
Your customers should understand that you have been ill, it's only human nature, we aren't perfect. I would address in all of the social media you use that you are "Sorry for the inconveniece, we needed to close for a week due to personal matters". You cannot put your health on the line, and though you might lose a profit, its better than to lose your health.

If your clients are angry because you are unwell (which is totally not your fault) then they aren't the right clients for you. Stand your ground and try not to let clients' negative comments get to you, you've done nothing wrong :)

Don't get wrapped up in the personal side of things.

I understand that when you are not well and have to cancel clients, you feel very apologetic and guilty ( there is no reason to feel guilty! ), but in life stuff like this happens.
What are they actually saying to you?
one person may say tactlessly say 'ow that's relay awkward, I had a wedding to go to and wanted to look nice' but most people know there has to be a good reason for you to cancel an appointment.

Do they really think you are just cancelling on a whim - or is that your guilt and imagination?

Keep it brief but apologetic. ' Sorry, but due to illness I'm not going to be able to carry out your treatment this week. I'm very sorry, we'll rebook when I'm feeling a bit better'

That's it, simple, straight forward. You don't need to say what's wrong, you don't need to put it on a web site or facebook page.

Don't say what's wrong..or you could have to be explaining all sorts of personal conditions! :)

Why are you made to feel so so guilty what are they saying to you?
I agree with hazelb, if they are rude then they are not for you.
Maybe when you're ill and they're not understanding just don't get back in touch with them when you get back to work.
I had a car accident on the way to work once when I had a room in a salon. My bf called the salon and asked them to cancel my clients.
The girls couldnt get hold of my first client and she turned up for her app. One of the salon staff explained they tried to call as the app would have to be cancelled due to me having a car accident. Clients response was "oh well where am I going to get my nails done now?! When will she be back? I need them for tommorow!"
I told the staff member she should of said I died. Just to see her reaction.
Ok, that's not funny but the lack of sympathy shocked me!
If I had died I wonder if she'd of felt guilty about wanting her nails done? probably not [emoji23]

If your clients are angry because you are unwell (which is totally not your fault) then they aren't the right clients for you. Stand your ground and try not to let clients' negative comments get to you, you've done nothing wrong :)

100% this!!
Put my back out few weeks ago and actually had busy 2 days to rebook. Felt soo guilty for letying them down. But you know what, they were all grand about it. Other half said pretty much what was quoted above.
I can remember in my first full time junior job, our manager and the owner both got injured on same night! Owner fell off a podium and broke some ribs and manager leaving same club and went over on his ankle and broke it. They were both off for near 3 months! Clients were asking why they couldn't just come to their house to do their hair cos you know, they really couldn't wait and no one else will do...

I totally feel for you. I have chronic back problems (20 years worth) and have episodes where I have had to shut up shop.... touch wood, not for over a year, but the last one left me out of action for 2 weeks (because I pushed myself to do a treatment I shouldn't of). My regulars are all lovely about it and know I have a back problem. Most of them are super sweet & caring (one even delivered shopping for me last time!) BUT..... during that last one I had a semi-regular client get the hump because I couldn't do her brows and even said "But it's just my brows. I won't be there for long and you can sit down to do them" !?!!! Seriously!? Stick to your guns.... your health comes first. And DO NOT feel guilty. As others have already said, if they're vile about it or not understanding, you can do without those clients. Also, have you seen someone about your back & are you treating it / managing it? Don't ignore it. Sending you a hug :) x

Sorry to hear this. I know how you feel. I suffer with one of the rarest diseases in the world, so rare not many doctors in the UK have heard of it and I have had to let clients down in the past because of it. It is hard but like the others have said, if they do not understand or are not willing to accept you are genuinely ill, then you can do without clients like that.

I know this is an old thred but I’m in the exact same boat right now.

I’m so over being self employed for this reason. I feel like I work so hard to fit clients in but as soon as I’m ill all hell brakes lose! I’ve slipped a disc in my back and most clients have been lovely but there’s been a lot who I thought were friends who have been completely awkward . Clients are not friends! I’m so ready to go back to being employed

I appreciate everything you are saying , as a hairstylist whose had her fair share of back / neck problems !
However , you do have to see it from a client poin of view !
And if your unreliable . And have had to re-arrange to often ! ,they will just find someone else !
It’s not easy I know ! But I find pacing myself and having regular break s . Slows me to continue !
I take Pilates classes it helps me with my stamina and posture .
I’m getting on a bit now so I know I won’t be able to do it forever ,

Latest posts

Back