Clients who turn up with kids, dogs, family, etc.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind if someone brings a friend or partner. Lots of people don't drive and I'm not in a position to turn away business.
I know lots of my clients as our kids are friends at school so occasionally they do ask if they can bring their child to play with one of mine. It's not ideal but I'm trying to build my business and do my best so I get on with it. Kids and parent is happy so it's a repeat appointment!

Has anyone got an example of how they phrase a notice that no children are allowed/its not covered by insurance etc?

Has anyone got an example of how they phrase a notice that no children are allowed/its not covered by insurance etc?

My FB page and website now have a list of "House Rules" and a copy gets sent out to all new clients with their appointment confirmation and directions. This is how I've worded the 'hangers on & children' aspect.......

*Bliss is the perfect haven of peace and calm for your treatment, but is only able to accommodate you (and your beautician!) Unfortunately I cannot accommodate more than one client at a time and do not provide a ‘waiting area’, so please do not bring other people with you to your appointment. They will not be able to stay during your treatment.

*Additionally, please do not bring children or pets to your appointment. Insurance restrictions, hygiene & safety, and the presence of hot wax and chemicals, means that it is not appropriate to have children (under 16) or animals in the treatment room.

So far it's working! Hope that helps :)

My FB page and website now have a list of "House Rules" and a copy gets sent out to all new clients with their appointment confirmation and directions. This is how I've worded the 'hangers on & children' aspect.......

*Bliss is the perfect haven of peace and calm for your treatment, but is only able to accommodate you (and your beautician!) Unfortunately I cannot accommodate more than one client at a time and do not provide a ‘waiting area’, so please do not bring other people with you to your appointment. They will not be able to stay during your treatment.

*Additionally, please do not bring children or pets to your appointment. Insurance restrictions, hygiene & safety, and the presence of hot wax and chemicals, means that it is not appropriate to have children (under 16) or animals in the treatment room.

So far it's working! Hope that helps :)

Thanks! That's great. A good idea to send out a house rules as standard as well. May help sort out my clients timekeeping as well if I add something about that in there too.

A friend of mine recently came for a pedicure and bikini line wax and she brought her 3 year old and 8 month old children with her. The 3 year old was bored after 2 minutes and was touching everything and getting in my way and then asked if she could have her feet done too…her mum said yes…without asking me first if I had time or if i minded?! What?! The whole time this was happening, the baby was screeching at the top of his lungs. It was so stressful. She told me that her mum had offered to have the kids for a couple of hours but she thought I might want to see them?? The worst thing about this situation is that she is in the trade herself and knows how stressful and unsafe it is trying to work in those conditions. I don't know what she was thinking?!

Ah no sounds like a nightmare! Its so stressful isnt it! Trying to concentrate on doing their service and keep one eye on the child to make sure they arent touching anything etc. I am defo putting my foot down no more children. Theres no way they can be expected to sit there is silence, they understandably get bored very quickly!

Thanks! That's great. A good idea to send out a house rules as standard as well. May help sort out my clients timekeeping as well if I add something about that in there too.

Totally! I have a paragraph detailing my cancellation policy. And I've got a note about clients more than 15mins late might find their treatment cut short or cancelled altogether. It just means if you do have problems with clients cancelling / turning up late, you can refer them straight back to your "House Rules" so they can't say they weren't aware of your policies. :)

A friend of mine recently came for a pedicure and bikini line wax and she brought her 3 year old and 8 month old children with her. The 3 year old was bored after 2 minutes and was touching everything and getting in my way and then asked if she could have her feet done too…her mum said yes…without asking me first if I had time or if i minded?! What?! The whole time this was happening, the baby was screeching at the top of his lungs. It was so stressful. She told me that her mum had offered to have the kids for a couple of hours but she thought I might want to see them?? The worst thing about this situation is that she is in the trade herself and knows how stressful and unsafe it is trying to work in those conditions. I don't know what she was thinking?!

Seriously!?!? I know I shouldn't laugh but "She thought you might want to see them" ?!?! Haha! Unbelievable. It is stressful though and it makes it so hard for you to do a good job. As for assuming you'll do the kid's feet too..... Rude. Totally rude.

Totally! I have a paragraph detailing my cancellation policy. And I've got a note about clients more than 15mins late might find their treatment cut short or cancelled altogether. It just means if you do have problems with clients cancelling / turning up late, you can refer them straight back to your "House Rules" so they can't say they weren't aware of your policies. :)
What about early? All mine seem to be rocking up about 20 mins early these days. I know its better than late lol but does my head in if still with a client or tryin to grab a bite to eat. I think coz I am at home im just sat around waiting for them.

What about early? All mine seem to be rocking up about 20 mins early these days. I know its better than late lol but does my head in if still with a client or tryin to grab a bite to eat. I think coz I am at home im just sat around waiting for them.

And then say "Oh sorry, am I early?" while looking at their watch. ;) That one I haven't solved yet!!

On their other scale I have two clients that are so polite that they arrive about fifteen minutes and then sit in their cars and wait until their exact time to ring the bell.

So I look at them .... And they look at my door....

Just makes me laugh, all my other ladies just waltz in whatever time!
[emoji4][emoji4]

Aww im so lucky that i work inside a boutique, so if clients are early they can have a mooch/shop while they wait for me. I do try not to look through the door way - if you make eye contact then BAM they have you

I'm one of these ppl that are ALWAYS early tho! I turn up for my nail aps early but am quite happy to sit & relax while reading through some trade mags. Id rather be early than rushing or late & am mortified if soneone has to wait for me xx

Hey guys im boosting this post as i had a lady bring her dog in today! Ok so its potential new client (no booking) she came in luckily was the only one in yhe salon with me & only ended up having a brief chat about colour as i tried to wrap it up when another client came in........i went to the door & I looked at the dog and said nicely "ooooh we dont allow furry babies in im afraid" she pushed passed me into the salon and said "well you would if i was blind! "
I was shocked! Theres no way if i do her hair she can bring her dog...am i being mean?
I asked her to get the dog off the reception sofa while we were chatting as its not fair on clients who may have allergies and she told me to stop being ridiculous!!!

I love dogs and sometimes bring mine in as he just loves a cuddle! (But only when my close clients and friends are in!) some clients are scared ect so is it a good idea??
This particular dog was running wild!
To me the Cons are:
*Professionalism
*hygiene
*Incase others are scared
*its not fair on other clients to be malled over!

This women i can tell will not accept this but what if she just turns up?

Last edited:
God just with this attitude having a casual chat, I'd sack her off as a client before I'd even started!!!

My boy ....

Attachments

• 1489606546828.jpg
    1489606546828.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 43
God just with this attitude having a casual chat, I'd sack her off as a client before I'd even started!!!

Yep then when she could tell i wasn't happy she told me she has bi-polar x

My clients often bring their dogs while popping in to book an appt but wouldn't actually bring them for the appt! I do bring my dog to work some days but she is on a lead well out the way of everyone so can't run round the salon and is well trained so it's not. A problem, clients actually love seeing her and I have a dog walker who comes and takes her for a few hours so by the time she is back she normally falls fast asleep for a few hours!
The client sounds like a bit of a nightmare. It's your salon so you get to decide what goes and if she doesn't like it, maybe she is best getting a mobile hairdresser who can go to her house!

Nowadays dogs, especially the little ones, are often dressed up and treated like children - hence why some owners feel so affronted when you object to having them in the salon.

I've mentioned on here before, my daughter works in a very high end salon in London, and 'dog in bag' is not unusual. :cool:
In fact, they are indulged as much as their owner! :p

Latest posts

Back