clogged brush help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickyc

Reaction score
Hi i'm having problems with my brush it keeps getting clogged with product what am i oing wrong? Is there any way to save it or is it time to buy another one? How often are you supposed to change brush? Also one last question could anyone remind me how to remove gum from a new brush as i can't remember as i only had the one brush from foundation course!! Sorry for all the questions but i'm abit confused!

Thanks Nicky

Hi nicky,

you should clean your brush with monomer only. never soap & water acetone or brush cleaner. these dry your brush out. if the brush clogs, saturate in monomer until it is softened and then use a plastic backed pad to gently push out the material causing the clog. when starting with a new brush use a fibre free disposable towel to spread the hairs and break the stiffness,rock the hairs from side to sideuntil all the coating is free from the brush. do not touch the hairs with your bare fingers only with the disposable towel. all these instructions are on the package your new brush comes in.

http://www.thenailgeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1303

geeg once did a post where if your brush is totally gunked up and won't soak out in monomer then soak it in scrubfresh until it is clean......only as a last resort though........don't do it frequently or it will dry your brush out.
Always clean your brush in fresh monomer after use will also keep it clean and gunk free.
It maybe that it is getting like this because your consistensy is'nt quite right.......

nickyc said:
Hi i'm having problems with my brush it keeps getting clogged with product what am i oing wrong? Is there any way to save it or is it time to buy another one? How often are you supposed to change brush? Also one last question could anyone remind me how to remove gum from a new brush as i can't remember as i only had the one brush from foundation course!! Sorry for all the questions but i'm abit confused!

Thanks Nicky

Hi Nicky,

First of all I your brush needs to be changed every 3-6 months depending on how busy you are. When you are applying your product are you rinsing it well in the liquid after each bead? I found that mine got clogged when I forgot to do this and I had to sit for about an hour holding my brush in liquid to soften the product and I used my cuticle nippers to wipe each blob off the bristles individually without cutting the bristles, very crap job!!!!

Also make sure that no product is left behind in the brush when you are finished because the product will set very quickly if it comes into contact with the heat of your lamp as well, another thing I learned :) :) I just press my brush firmly down in my liquid so that is make a fan shape at the bottom of the dappen dish, that way I can see if there is any product. I also wipe my brush firmly up against the side of the dish as well if I do find something.

With new brushes you get a lint free pad and gently spread the hairs, move from side to side gently to break any stiffness. Then put some liquid into a dappen dish and stick your brush in and do the whole fan shaped thinh again, for a while and shape your bristles when you done with a lint free pad again.

Sorry this was a bit long winded but I battle to explain stuff sometimes, hope this helps you hun!!! :)

xxxx

Diesel beat me to it ;) hope this helps anyway :)

Hi thanks you have all really helped, i think it might be the wrong mix of product as also the dappen dish seems to get gooey but i never had this problem before, thats why i thought it might be the brush as i was struggling so much to remove the product that i might have damaged the flags of the brush. How can you tell when a brush needs to be changed? I have to say mine has been at me for a year! Sorry i know i keep going on but i just can't understand why this is happeneing now and never before. I have just tried scrubfresh so now i'll have to wait and see. Thanks again.

Rose143 said:
Hi Nicky,

First of all I your brush needs to be changed every 3-6 months depending on how busy you are.

xxxx

I'v had the same Brush for ages...around 10 months and im work around 30 hours a week. Surely as long has its still producing crisp sharp smile lines and doing its job there's no need to change it, or is there a reason ppl change so often?

Thanks

i am not entirely sure but i think they reccomend that you change your brush yearly...don't quote me on that though!
My brush is about a year old now and i have no intention of replacing it as it is still in as new condition and i use it daily.
I only replaced my prostyler because it was contaminated (shortly after training!)
i also have another brush that i have had for about three years and it is still in perfect condition....i call it my old faithfull!

Latest posts

Back