Colour Correction HELP Please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockstar11

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been dying my hair blonde for years (I'm naturally dark blonde with a lot of red in my hair) so that's why I thought I'd try a corrector tone in order to get a more grey/ashy colour.

I used Wella Koleston Special Mix Intense Pearl 0/88 and mixed it with 10 developer. I'm wondering if I used the wrong developer (I actually mixed 20 volume developer with water in equal parts), and the solution looked a greyish colour, which later (I've just looked) turned BLACK! in the mixing bowl..

I left it on for 5-7 minutes and washed it all out as my hair looked frighteningly dark. I'm now left with a light black colour, with my original hair colour coming through in the undertones.

I'd really REALLY appreciate someone helping me on this. What do I do? Will it fade out within a month? If that's the case I could live with it, but at the moment it doesn't look like it's going anywhere. Will I wash my hair repeatedly to remove it, or do I need to bleach?

Please help guys, Thank you

you will hate me for saying this but, if your not a proffessionally trained hairdresser. . . . well you know the rest haha. My best advise would be to go to a salon
the reason this hasnt worked is that this is a pure tone, potent stuff when used incorrectly and the shade u have chosen if u look at the swatch is dark navy.
i feel naughty telling you this on a consumer forum but to tone your hair you need the proper counteracting tone for your hairs tone to get the desired look (which without seeing is impossible to tell) and also that using special mix tone is on its own is usually for pop art colour effects, not toning.
sorry i cant be of more help, but my biggest bit of advice is go to a salon. x

Thanks for the reply scottydolly,

I think I will head to a salon. I'm still wondering though, did it matter that I used 'normal' developer as opposed to welloxon?

Also, if I don't go to the salon, will the colour fade out in a number of weeks, or is it permanent?

Hi guys,

I've been dying my hair blonde for years (I'm naturally dark blonde with a lot of red in my hair) so that's why I thought I'd try a corrector tone in order to get a more grey/ashy colour.

I used Wella Koleston Special Mix Intense Pearl 0/88 and mixed it with 10 developer. I'm wondering if I used the wrong developer (I actually mixed 20 volume developer with water in equal parts), and the solution looked a greyish colour, which later (I've just looked) turned BLACK! in the mixing bowl..

I left it on for 5-7 minutes and washed it all out as my hair looked frighteningly dark. I'm now left with a light black colour, with my original hair colour coming through in the undertones.

I'd really REALLY appreciate someone helping me on this. What do I do? Will it fade out within a month? If that's the case I could live with it, but at the moment it doesn't look like it's going anywhere. Will I wash my hair repeatedly to remove it, or do I need to bleach?

Please help guys, Thank you

Hi there.

You say you dye your hair blonde. Is that using bleach or a tube of tint.

In theory, using the Koleston special mix 0/88 will neutralise copper tones.
But these strong violet/blue mix tones will make your blonde hair look dark because the violet/blue colours in the mix tone are generally dark anyway.

0/88 should be used to neutralise coppery red tones in dark hair only.

Have you got the koleston color chart with you. If you look at the 0/88 hair swatch, you will see just how dark it is.

Sometimes its hard to control red undertones in blonde hair. The only mix tone I would use on blonde hair is the 0/81 This color is generally light anyway so will not make your hair go darker. The 0/11 can also be used, but is more for neutralising gold tones.

Remember that green/matt will neutralise red. But you can't really use these type of mix tones on blonde hair without it going darker because they are so strong.

Sometimes bleach is the only answer to getting your hair very blonde, then using an ash toner over the top to neutralise any yellow and giving you that ash color which some people like.

If you are in any doubt, go to a professional salon and explain to them what you would like to achieve. If you start messing around with lots of different colors you may end up with more trouble on your hands.

Regarding your peroxide strength. You were right in adding the same amount of water to half its strength. but your color simply went dark because of the 0/88 you used. It is a very dark mix tone.

Let me know whether you use bleach or tint to color your hair blonde.
If you use tint to lighten your hair, what number is the tint you use.

:)

Thanks for the reply Lamaur Man,

I use tint to colour my hair, an American brand in shade 9.11. It has green in it to counteract warmth, and I've already tried an ash additive before but it only turned the ends of my hair ashy, and did nothing to the rest, so I thought that blue/navy was going to be the colour I had to apply.
:irked:

Please go to a salon. Reading this is quite scary as you seem to be having a stab at colours and mixes based on what you have gleaned from a forum. A .11 colour does NOT have green ash, nor is it suitable for toning ALL bleached/lightened hair.

None of us can see or feel your hair, as we would in our normal professional capacity, nor can we give a non hair pro DIY advice (site rules).

By groping around for the right colour you will do untold damage, spend time with terrible hair, and end up spending far more money than if you just go to a good salon at this stage.

Thanks for your reply persianista, as I said I probably will go to a salon, but I just wanted to know where I went wrong with what I did.

And the colour 9.11 is described by the company as "Deposits to level 9. Very light, very ash blonde with extra green base".

Thanks for your reply persianista, as I said I probably will go to a salon, but I just wanted to know where I went wrong with what I did.

And the colour 9.11 is described by the company as "Deposits to level 9. Very light, very ash blonde with extra green base".

Probably doing it yourself in the first place lol Some of these colours you have to take their descriptions with a pinch of salt. Don't always believe everything you read :). I've often made that mistake by using colours from colour families I've not been trained in.

A .11 is a strong violet ash according to ICC. On over bleached hair, goes a lovely shade od greyish with a hint of lavender!!

A truly green based ash toner counteracts true red, which presents itself as pinky tones, not brassy tones. Green ashes are really only used within colour correction, not everyday colouring.

Latest posts

Back