Colour mixing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nettysheer

Reaction score
What do you get if you mix these two colours together?? Wella 8/73 and 7/73 . I don't always get the whole half and half colour mixing. Would that equal 6/73 and if it does why not just use 6/73 in the first place or am I missing a viral link!? X

*vital link. !

What do you get if you mix these two colours together?? Wella 8/73 and 7/73 . I don't always get the whole half and half colour mixing. Would that equal 6/73 and if it does why not just use 6/73 in the first place or am I missing a viral link!? X

You couldn't mix 2 lighter colours and get a depth darker than the 2 you mixed. It'd make a 7.5/73 if that makes sense? 5/73 and 7/73 will make 6/73, take the depth above and the depth below what you want and you'll get the depth you want. Hope that made sense x

You couldn't mix 2 lighter colours and get a depth darker than the 2 you mixed. It'd make a 7.5/73 if that makes sense? 5/73 and 7/73 will make 6/73, take the depth above and the depth below what you want and you'll get the depth you want. Hope that made sense x

It's like if you don't want it as light as an 8 but don't want it as dark as a 7 sort of concept when you mix 2 depths together that don't have an in between available, so crap at explaining things x

Thanks Hun x

Ha u did make sense. Think I now get it !! X

Wirh reds I often don't want to go as light as a 7 or as dark s a ,6, so I will mix the two in eaual.ampunts to arrive at maybe a slightly dark 6.5. Or say you have a 6 and an 8 and you want a 7, unless I'm wrong you mix those two together and you get a 7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wirh reds I often don't want to go as light as a 7 or as dark s a ,6, so I will mix the two in eaual.ampunts to arrive at maybe a slightly dark 6.5. Or say you have a 6 and an 8 and you want a 7, unless I'm wrong you mix those two together and you get a 7.

Yes a 6 and an 8 would make a 7!

Thank you guys xx

It's basic maths if you add equal quantities of tint but you won't get an exact match.

Add the base colour numbers 5+7 = 12

Divide by 2 = 6

It's useful when you're self employed and can't afford to stock a huge range of tints plus I like playing with colour combinations. :lol:

Thank u. So guessing the same applied to tones x

With tones you have to remember that the darker colour will have more saturation of tone than the lighter one. So if you mixed a level 6 copper with a level 7 gold the final tone will be more copper than gold.

Also I'm not sure exactly sure how calibrated wella bases are, but when mixing levels I try not to go more than 3 levels apart as any more the result can look darker/cooler. E.g. I wouldn't mix 2+8 to make a 5.

This morning I needed to make an 8 using 7 and 10 so I used 2 parts 7 + 1 part 10 (7+7+10 = 24 /3 = 8)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is a facinating topic. Would the above be like a /43 rather than a /34?

also say I need a 7 and only have 6 and 8, I would usually do 1/3 6 and 2/3 8 as I alwwwways find the darker one drags the colour down

Tom has a really good point that in many lines you will find the colour is can be slightly darker when mixing two different levels.

Here is a chart I have saved from way back, and I'm not sure what line it even originally comes from, so definitely don't apply it to your colour line, but I though I would post it to demonstrate why this can happen.

Level - Pigment Weight
10 -3-4 units of pigment
9 -8 units of pigment
8 -10 units of pigment
7 - 15 units of pigment
6 - 25 units of pigment
5 - 40 units of pigment
4 - 75 units of pigment
3 - 100 units of pigment
2 - 125 units of pigment
1 - 150 units of pigment

If you take the maths equation a step further, mixing a level 7 with a level 5 (15 units + 40 units = 55 /2 = 27.5 units) would give you a colour slightly darker than a level 6. I'm not saying for one minute that you should start using this chart in your mixing, it's just to demonstrate why mixing levels isn't always perfect when you go too far apart.

To help understand mixing different tones, I found that studying pure-tone colour lines such as Aveda really helps to understand. This is a simplified version of how the line allows you to add amounts of pigment at different levels:

WOOe9nI.jpg

If you imagine a 'true' level 8 gold would have 6 grams of gold, and a 'true' level 7 copper would have 8 grams of copper, you can see why mixing tones on different levels will influence the final tonality. It also helps you to understand that the amount of tone in a natural/soft dark colour, would appear as strong or intense if a lighter level had the same amount of tone.

Again I am not suggesting you use this chart with other brands, because they are all buillt differently - it's just to illustrate a point (hope I haven't made it more confusing :o )

Blimey o'reilly!! Minefield OR WHAT ! Haha. Thank you though.

Taking it back to a more simple one.... KP 5/4 if I wanted to double base it for grey resistant hair, could I simply add more 5/0 into it ? X

Haha yeah sorry it's just for 'illustrative purposes only!' But I'm sure one of the wella experts here will be able to help you with that one ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I used goldwell it was 2 parts lighter to 1 part darker - it's always stayed in my mind even now I use loreal I still tend to use more if the lighter shade :)

Not really a hairdresser lady

I think adding the 5/0 would get you a better color result on hair thats over 50 white, but at the same time it would also soften the tonal value of the 4(in wella) red. It wouldn't be the same as a double base 55/0, and I'm not sure if those /55 are supposed to be mixed with other tones for gray coverage.

Another option for improved coverge would be to add some 5/3 to the 5/4. But that's maybe just a personal preference, as I think 4 in wella doesn't look great on white hair.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back