Commercial lease

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmcnaught0

Reaction score
Hi, I am about to sign a lease for my first salon, and I haven't actually seen it yet (obviously I will before signing) but after chatting with the current owner, he has advised that I will be responsible for all building repairs? He said this is normal for commercial lease. Is it?
I am in Scotland Incase it differs from England.
Thanks in advance

I'm in England and I have a full repairing lease

It might differ with you being in Scotland.
The lease can say anything it's up to you if you sign it.

I rent out and give full repair on the outside, the inside should be covered by the tenants insurance.

My stepson is just in the throws of opening up his own barbers, the letting agent wanted home to take control of the glass and shutter and be responsible for the building repairs and pay for the painting of the outside when he leaves, it's was crazy, I think they have now settled on him being responsible for the shutter once it's repaired and the glass.

Try saying no to the terms they are offering, and see what they say

yup this is big bed bug of mine through experience most places are wanting full repairs done by the tennant but it annoys me as you pay rent they own the building they should fix it and up keep can understand if its decorating and cosmetically for your business but likes of heating windows brickwork floor it should be the landlord. If their is quite a few empty commercial properties around by you say no to full repair lease and say well would they rather have an empty shop and still have to pay 100% rates if long term empty they have to pay more!!! or have rent coming in the tennant paying the rates and they having to pay out for the odd repair job. put it over to them this way and it could sway you to a better lease good luck

Latest posts

Back