Companies house/ Sole trader

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinie88

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm just looking into names etc for my upcoming mobile business, and the whole issue of people stealing names etc etc( i have read a few on here) is all a bit confusing to me. i know that nobody is using my name so i am fine to go ahead with it, however i have been looking into what i can do to protect any problems for arrising regarding names. i have found on the companies house website a 'registration option' (i dont no if i should put a link on here for it or not!!) where you pay just under £70 as a sole trader to register your name etcetc. does this seem like a good option to you guys or not?

i'm just intrigued to know, any thoughts most appreciated!!
thanks guys :green:

I was advised there was no need to register with company house unless your aare a ltd company or taking over a certain amount of money (i think but probably wrong over £60k).

I was advised to check the local area yell.com etc and google to see if your company name exists in your area.... but the name can be taken from someone :rolleyes:else and they can register it with company house and if they are in your area then that can cause a problem I believe.. but dont think it would be an issue if you were in London and a co had the same name in scotland...

I would call company house if you are worried I was concerned as well but my business will be quite small so hopefully wont be a big issue.

Let us know how you get on

Denise
x

thank you for your reply!

yeah i am only going to be mobile, and i have checked no one in my area has the name and noone is regsitered as an ltd with the name, but i'm thinking ahead, as you say, if some else wants 2 use it and register it then i would be in trouble! i think i will give them a call as you say!!

thank you xx

I did have a look on the Companies House register for my business name before using it. the name was registered but there were differing variations of the name e.g. All About You Ltd, All About You (London) Ltd, All About You Care Services, All About you Coaching Limited. This personally didn't bother me as I managed to get the domain name of allaboutyou.co.uk which was the most important for my business for advertising.

My point being you can still use your name if you wanted to go Ltd in the future just by adding additional wording not already used if you know what I mean.

Definitely check on 123.reg to see if your chosen name is still available for your web/email tho

.x.x

yes i have just checked that noone is registered as an ltd in the name and also that none in my are has the name or anything similar and i have also just paid for the domain name as a .co.uk which wasn't in use. do you think this is enough. i feel pretty confident that this will be fine now.

thanks for the advise xx

I am also in the process of setting up my mobile business and worried about this too, there is no-one in my area using the name that I want to use but there is other beauty salons with the same name in other parts of the country, although I have googled some names from salons in this area and there are salons all over the country with the same name so I dont know if this is a problem?
I dont want to get all my flyers and cards done and then have to change my name. I can add the name of my hometown to the domain so can get a domain name that way.

I appreciate any thoughts or comments, Thanks

the only way to really protect it, is to trademark the logo(name), then no one can use the name.

I have a ltd company so the name is protected with the ltd bit and being reg on companies house, but before it become a ltd, i trademarked the logo & name so no one else can trade by the name in uk.

the only way to really protect it, is to trademark the logo(name), then no one can use the name.

I have a ltd company so the name is protected with the ltd bit and being reg on companies house, but before it become a ltd, i trademarked the logo & name so no one else can trade by the name in uk.

Absolutly spot on.

I trademarked my salon name years ago even though after I chose my name it got pinched left right and centre as a ltd company. Even a word from it got used in different variations. The Ltd bit gave me no protection as you can simply pop a different word on the end.

I trademarked the name as a whole and it still is. I could sue and stop people using the name and variations of it but can't be bothered lol! I take it as a compliment!

It never bothered me too much as people presumed I owned a whole chain of buisinesses so made me look good. However if anyone with my name got a bad reputation it would have been devastating to mine! In this instant I would perhaps of took legal action.

Latest posts

Back