Competition smile lines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zpocock

Reaction score

I have posted a picture of my Excel comp L&P tip and overlay nails. I got 16th place which seemed fair considering the standard on show. But I got a comment on my marking sheet which said that the smile lines were "flat" and I was marked down for this. I was under the impression that as long as they were consistent the depth wasn't the issue. As this was my first full competition I wondered what you all think?

God I would be over the moon if my smile lines were as good as that. I think they look great

I actually prefer the look of your smile lines to the usual required deep smile lines. I really dislike the look of them :irked:. Why do Comps demand a look so un-natural looking?? I am a big fan of au natural, obviously...

Mercury

hi zoe isn't it?
your nails look lovely.
your little fingers smile is slightly deeper than the others.
the reason that smiles should smile is to make the nail look slimmer.
your models nails are medium width.
the problem with these nails plus tip & overlay is that they can look wider than u want them to.
if the smiles were slightly deeper then it would've "slimmed down" the look of the nail beds.
compitition is also about extrereme skill. most talented techs can produce a good averagely deep smile line. so to seperate skill levels, smiles have become deeper.
the deeper the smile, the harder it is to b consistant, so it is a risk.
i'm not a fan of "tube-like" nails that are an inch+ long, but there can b a balance between a beautiful natural looking nail & the extreme skill that it takes to do all the disciplines of a compitition nail consistently.
i hope that helps!
go for it at olympia, & the best bit of advice i can give u if u r tipping, is to find a model with very slim, curvy nails!
liza x

ahhh, thanks for explaining that, liza, that makes sense to me now! although i'm still a looooooong way off from that point - i'm only now organising my foundation creative course :p

Ta,
Mercury

Latest posts

Back