Competitions... what makes you want to enter???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
what makes you want to enter a competition?
is it the buzz?
is it being able to strut your stuff?
or is it all down to getting more experience?

I'm very keen to enter a comp next year and was just wondering what it is that makes us want to compete.
I think for me it has to be the whole comp experience that's egging me on to do it, seeing the nails the other techs produce, and ofcourse the whole 'nail experience' :D

hi, i wanna ener a comp asap, i know theres ones if youve been doing nails under a yr so i'd love to do that. i think it'd be everything, the buzz, seing others work, plus the wee chance that you mite win! anyone know of any in ireland?

got a feeling that Professional Nails had a show in Ireland...
there was a thread about it, I'm sure I read it on here... JackieMc won at a comp in Ireland too... unless i've got early dementia and got it all wrong lol.

I think I'd like to feel the buzz of it all too Sarah :D

For me it was to see exactly how much i had achived in the time i had being doing nails and being able to put a measurement to it. I felt i had being slogging a dead horse for such a long time and in the first compeittion i was overconfident, this brought me down to earth and made me realise you really do have to work for it, that you need constancy and made me more aware of where i need to brush up.

have to say though although it is really stressful in the run up when you get there and do it it is such a relief, i go with my model to a pub out of the centre and go and get lunch and we sit and chill until the results which are really nerve wracking, but hey what a buzz when you hear your name called.

my friend is a hairdresser and he was one of the finalists for hairdresser of the yr, when i say finalists, i mean out o northern ireland (tiny, 6 counties) but on his flyers he has finalist for hairdresser of the yr which sounds so much better! i think to win or even be placed would give such a prestige to your name. i would so love to win, it would mean so much to me! any of us who are on here all the bloody time, its obvious we're well into nails (or have no life lol) and i'd just love to win as it'd be a reward for what i put into it. i think nails all the time and have only been into em a very short while - so little time time id be ashamed to say! but i think a comp would be a way of finding out if you had any talent at all - though if i was bottom i think id cry my lamps out!

The reason I would like to take part in competitions is to see if my work would be up to scratch, if not what better place to find out how to tweak things to perfect your application etc.

The buzz you must get from start to finish must be amazing along with the mixture of different emotions.

And the ultimate would be to actually win!! wow thats what dreams are made of!

Take care xx

it'd also look good to customers, that you're so into nails you wanna enter, they prob didnt even know you coud do such a thing!

My experience of competing has been very positive. However, I am really wavering as to wheter to compete or not at Excel. It is one thing competing when you think you are in with a chance but another thing if you thing all your stress and hard work are in vein. That being said, I have always come away all the richer and more the wiser after competing, even if I haven't placed YET!:wink2: ;)

If I ever entered a competition for the first time, it would be to tweak my skills. Whatever I get marked down on, I'd try to improve.

Then in the end I'd definitely strut my stuff.

However, some would argue that they work on their skills on a day to day basis to strut their stuff in competitions!

how many pre-comp classes are normally needed?
a competition nail isn't the same as a salon nail or an everyday cleint nail so it must take quite a bit of work to get up to a comp standard.

smiler13334 said:
The reason I would like to take part in competitions is to see if my work would be up to scratch, if not what better place to find out how to tweak things to perfect your application etc.

The buzz you must get from start to finish must be amazing along with the mixture of different emotions.

And the ultimate would be to actually win!! wow thats what dreams are made of!

Take care xx

YEah, that's the same as me - just to get that constructive critisism! xx

i posted a thread abt why i competed a while ago
heres a link http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/19777-nail-comps-why.html

i think for me know its abt improvement... and seeing if i can like others 'go and do my stuff'

i think its a yes to all your questions Sandi.... you do get a buzz and it makes you want to get that buzz again.... altho the nerves b4 arent fab....lol

im glad i entered the competion areana and it will be something i cant imagine nt doing now and i would hopefuly one day compete internationally

i think that if you are entering a competion then it is good to go and do classes to prepare for it

i know that the education ive take has helped me improve sooooo soooo much and i am already thinking abt booking in my classes for the coming year

but then you know me im an training junkie!

competing has made me a far better nail tech so im on my way to getting better scores and im always on the look out for that fab model ;)

Jess
xox

Latest posts

Back