Curious

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adama44

Reaction score
Kind Greetings all,
I have a question for the UK ladies and gents. I'm just a bit curious as to how popular extensions are over the pond. I see SO MANY posts about them, seems like they're almost as common as seeing highlights. I was just wondering because of the fairly high cost of them.

Actually, I am wondering the same thing about mobile hairdressing. Are many hairdressers employed this way?

I'm completely infatuated with the UK in case you're wondering. My daughter and I talk of moving there one day.

Hi Hun,

Extensions are definitely on the up here in the Uk. I'm mobile and have been for 20years, still as busy as ever, I get a call from a new client every few days, which unfortunately I turn away. I also do extensions and that has gone mad, hence turning normal haircuts away as I have all my regulars and want to concentrate on the extension side of things.

Good luck if you do ever get over here, we are supposed to be the best trained in the world, but I do sometimes wonder.

Xx

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, I've heard that about UK stylists as well. Not to put down all wonderful and talented stylists here. I think the problem here is threefold one being there are no national guidelines. It's up to each state how many hours to require, as well as state board testing. Some states are great others not so much. Too many hairstylists(myself included here) are trained in vocational high school training. In itself not a problem, for those who already know this is what they want, problem is pushing all "not college ready(not my thinking)" ladies in the program. Lastly is just America's worshiping the almighty dollar above all else. Instead of interning so many just go to cutting factory type salons. Not judging we all have to do what we have to do to get by.

While I can't say the same for extensions( don't dislike, just not exciting after growing up in the black community where they've been around forever). I love the idea of mobile hairdressing, it just makes sense in so many ways. Only negative I can think of is missing out on the group chatter and gossip :)

Hi
Hair extensions are very popular over here right now, they are a good earner for a mobile/home based hairdresser. I have worked from my home salon for the last 2 years, and worked in a salon for 6 years beforehand. I much prefer working for myself, but I must admit I do miss the girly chatter of a salon x

Latest posts

Back