Cuticle knife, really?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
So I've been reading through the vtct assessment logbook for manicure and although it doesn't say that learners have to cover it in the range, the logbook mentions the use of a cuticle knife. Seriously? Do you absolutely have to teach learners to use a cuticle knife? With respect to people who still prefer to use one, it's a very dated (and not necessarily the safest) method.

And buffing paste is in the range. Does anyone still use that?

Hope I'm not coming across as dissing methods that some people may prefer to use (well, maybe I am a bit) but I feel that what needs to be covered in a level 2 manicure qualification is quite far removed from the practices that are actually used in industry.

What are your thoughts?

Since qualifying I have never used buffing paste! I never thought much of it anyway! I also always hated cutting the cuticle so I personally only push back or cut rag nails if necessary, never cut the living tissue. I went for an interview at a nails inc stand in a department store and she told me during the trade test that I HAD to cut the cuticles...no chance Mrs! Xx

I agree :) my manicures and pedicures were awful at nvq 2 and didn't get good until my Jessica training. Can't believe how the level 2 requirements are so detrimental.

I'm hoping teachers are allowed to say no to the use of a cuticle knife because I really don't like them.

No I hate them too! I wish colleges were harder on students too, I was one of the few that actually took it seriously & wanted to pass, then the ones that were there purely for a bursary and something to do, passed with flying colours! The lecturers were always praising them! Think colleges need to be stricter and seriously think about what they teach! Xx

No I hate them too! I wish colleges were harder on students too, I was one of the few that actually took it seriously & wanted to pass, then the ones that were there purely for a bursary and something to do, passed with flying colours! The lecturers were always praising them! Think colleges need to be stricter and seriously think about what they teach! Xx

Gosh that's harsh to us lecturers!

Once you get to the level of a curriculum co-ordinator you soon realise how the system works and how it filters down to course content.

Basically the government carries out research into job skills the country needs. HABIA also advises the government.
Funding is then placed on the skills (qualifications) the country needs.

When an FE college is deciding what courses to run it is a balance of what is in demand and what is funded. You can't offer courses for free - those days are long gone!!

Lecturers attend exam body meetings to discuss the detailed content of courses and when the EV visits your college twice a year. This is when details such as cuticle knife use can be discussed.

Exam boards bring out a new syllabus every 4 or 5 years so it is only at these points details can be changed.

Nearly all lecturers are still doing clients and have to do 30 hours of CPD each year plus extra training to keep ahead of the industry so please don't think we are behind times.

Gosh that's harsh to us lecturers!

Once you get to the level of a curriculum co-ordinator you soon realise how the system works and how it filters down to course content.

Basically the government carries out research into job skills the country needs. HABIA also advises the government.
Funding is then placed on the skills (qualifications) the country needs.

When an FE college is deciding what courses to run it is a balance of what is in demand and what is funded. You can't offer courses for free - those days are long gone!!

Lecturers attend exam body meetings to discuss the detailed content of courses and when the EV visits your college twice a year. This is when details such as cuticle knife use can be discussed.

Exam boards bring out a new syllabus every 4 or 5 years so it is only at these points details can be changed.

Nearly all lecturers are still doing clients and have to do 30 hours of CPD each year plus extra training to keep ahead of the industry so please don't think we are behind times.

That's really helpful to know. Thank you :)

Are you allowed to omit the cuticle knife from the training?

I think if students are passed liberally it becomes a question of how much work are they willing to do to get to industry standards. With some treatments it was the product training after college that really helped me.

My thing about wanting to omit cuticle knives from training is that I don't think that it is relevant or the safest way. When I did my vtct level 2 ear candling, the course leader was really experienced and omitted cones from the training as she said it was obsolete and she didn't believe them to be safe.

Don't take it personally. I was just saying that personally while I was at college, there was a fair few students attending purely to get a bursary which was more than they actually needed. Too many girls were not attending, not putting in the work and still passing. That's all I am saying...

My quote 'I think colleges need to be stricter and seriously think about what they teach' is indicating that teaching students to use such implements as cuticle knifes when the students aren't actually paying attention to a word they are saying will result in them using it incorrectly, should they actually decide to continue in the beauty industry!

I didn't once say you were 'behind the times' and different colleges and lecturers clearly have different standards. What one lecturer would pass, another wouldn't. I know this from being at college & the ones not making an effort saying 'oh, I hope so & so is in today because she'll pass me'

That's really helpful to know. Thank you :)

Are you allowed to omit the cuticle knife from the training?

If the syllabus lists an item of equipment or technique then the assessment paperwork has to document that the learner has demonstrated using/doing it safely.

The exam board can advise on how they want to see learners working. For example VTCT have got rid of the 'drizzle ' method for waxing

If the syllabus lists an item of equipment or technique then the assessment paperwork has to document that the learner has demonstrated using/doing it safely.

The exam board can advise on how they want to see learners working. For example VTCT have got rid of the 'drizzle ' method for waxing

Where you transfer the wax from one spatula to others? I always thought that was strange.

As an NVQ Assessor i can tell you... if its in the curriculum ... then it must be covered... like the other lady said... you will need to demonstrate that you have met the learning outcomes or objectives by means of assessment. .. however... i did my manicure training (nvq 2) 1989 to 91... then in April refreshed my skills.... and have to say.... i thought it quite funny that the manicure standards had not changed... not even a little bit.... so... while i do agree that some of the standards or practical critera needs updating.... if its on there then it should still be covered.... xx best of luck with your training z

As an NVQ Assessor i can tell you... if its in the curriculum ... then it must be covered... like the other lady said... you will need to demonstrate that you have met the learning outcomes or objectives by means of assessment. .. however... i did my manicure training (nvq 2) 1989 to 91... then in April refreshed my skills.... and have to say.... i thought it quite funny that the manicure standards had not changed... not even a little bit.... so... while i do agree that some of the standards or practical critera needs updating.... if its on there then it should still be covered.... xx best of luck with your training z

Thanks :) I hope so much that I manage to get the learners through the qualification and teach them more of an industry ready routine too. I'm not teaching yet so it's something I think about :)

Latest posts

Back