Dandruff advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foryornailsonly

Reaction score
Hi, I am not a hair professional (I use the nail boards here) but I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

My 14 yr old daughter seems to have a dandruff problem. It has started to hugely upset her (as well as making her the focus of negative attention at school) This is how her hair was after washing it this morning.

22089979_1989300161305477_6948703782329597994_n.jpg

22049835_1989300131305480_1288654878116608134_n.jpg

I am really not sure that this is dandruff. The flakes seem to be very large and almost like a gel soft consistency and stuck very firmly to the hair. She washed it this morning with TGel shampoo and spent ages rinsing it trying to get all these flakes out. Her hair is full of them.

Please does anyone have some advice?...her scalp is clean and not showing any sign of flakiness but then she has all these flakes and it is causing her so much upset. My gut instinct is that this might be product residue but is there an effective method of removing this? She spends so much time rinsing trying to get her hair free from flakes...is this counter-productive?

Hope someone can help

Thank you

There are numerous causes that can lead to dandruff in children (dry white flaky skin) including eczema, overactive oil production during puberty, contact dermatitis, and even a fungus.

It might be worth a trip to the GP or even a chat with the pharmacist to try to work out what's causing it. Definitely leave out conditioners and other styling products for a while (could also be caused by a sensitivity to a specific ingredient) and use a gentle sulphate free shampoo inbetween using medicated shampoos. (Don't use strong detergent based shampoos like Johnsons Baby shampoo, Tresemme, herbal essences or other supermarket shampoos as they contain cheap bulking ingredients and are quite alkaline, (not unlike perm lotion).

Over washing her hair could also be exacerbating the symptoms.

Latest posts

Back