Difference between Bluesky Shellac and CND Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm very new here :) I just searched the forums and found this post as i was looking on ebay for nail products research and came across the "bluesky shellac." After reading this thread i clicked on the ebay "report listing" button and filed a report. Maybe we should all do this. They will still find a way to sell their products by changing the name but at least they might get prevented from selling under the Shellac name... x

Good idea maybe we shwould all do that! X

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Yep I was duped into buying this bluesky... It even says cnd on it!! Needless to say it sits in a dark cupboard now and my genuine cnd shellac range, bought via S2 now takes pride of place on my shiny new salon wall! X

I just came across Bluesky on Ebay by chance and seeing that bottles, labels and names were identical to Shellac, being concerned that this is in fringement of copyright n trademarks I did a google search on bluesky shellac and found this thread. As a result I have reported the listing on EBay as reading through comment of people who have brought this product it is very clear that who ever is producing this product is totally misleading people.

PS there's more than one seller of bluesky

i just looked and why on earth would anyone want to bother ? for one as soon as it says it comes from hong kong ya know its gonna be fake anyway :eek: i would only go to sweet squared or ellsions to buy products x

Unfortunately there are a lot of consumers out there who want to bypass us, the professionals and do Shellac themselves. These are the people who will be ripped off, and who will think that Shellac is no good as they will get a bad result from it.
Maybe we should all report them and they will get stopped from selling on e bay .?

Just seen an IBN Shellac as well on that there auction site. Coming from Ireland! They have the cheek to advertise as Shellac but the bottle doesn't mention Shellac at all. Not sure where you Shellac-ers stand on this one (legally not morally iyknwim)

I'm not even a Shellac Tech but I'm getting infuriated by it all :Scared:

Sam and I are in the US right now at a CND Global Conference. This is one of the questions we will be addressing. I may have news when I get back, but I may nit be able to say anything depending on the situation IYKWIM.

In the mean time.... EDUCATE EDUCATE EDUCATE your clients and remember again... IF IT DOESN'T SAY CND ON THE BOTTLE... ITS NOT SHELLAC!!!!!

I have been on ebay and reported quite a few sellers for selling this fake brand!!

This was quite an interesting read, I heard about the new shellac nail system and was really interested, a new nail bar that has opened near me was advertising this so I went in on saturday and had them done, after reading this I have realised all their products that they used were Blue Sky, and not the CND brand. The lamp also did not not carry the CND brand. I will not be returning as I paid a comparable amount to other companies in the area that are apparently using the CND brand, but I will check this before I have them done again. This is a popular chain of nail bars that i visited with a number of salons in the UK. Are salons allowed to advertise Shellac and use Blue Sky?

So glad I read this post!! I had been looking on ebay and noticed the BlueSky Shellac and thought it was very cheap. I have just typed BlueSky Shellac onto the search box on ebay and there are LOADS of listings... this really should be banned. Anyway needless to say I am going to be booking onto the CND Shellac course tomorrow and ordering the genuine CND Shellac kit as well. Just a thought, does anyone have an idea how much the kit costs? Thanks :)

Actually the name shellac is the name of a resin that is used on varnishing furniture, its not a name trademarked by CND, that is why they can use it.

Hello, I'm very new here :) I just searched the forums and found this post as i was looking on ebay for nail products research and came across the "bluesky shellac." After reading this thread i clicked on the ebay "report listing" button and filed a report. Maybe we should all do this. They will still find a way to sell their products by changing the name but at least they might get prevented from selling under the Shellac name... x

Actually the name shellac is the name of a resin that is used on varnishing furniture, its not a name trademarked by CND, that is why they can use it.

Exactly!! I think this is what a lot of people are failing to understand and therefore it's clouding the issue. Obviously copying colour names is questionable, and calling a product 'CND Shellac' if it is not a CND product, but not the word 'shellac' on it's own.

It's very much like the Ugg boot situation. Ugg is just an Australian term for a warm sheepskin type boot, and was never actually a brand name.

Australian Ugg Original is a trade marked name. They have facilities on their websites to report fakes and talk about recognising counterfeits and who authorised sellers are.

The word shellac on the CND bottles is also trade marked. It has TM after the word shellac on the bottle if you look at them.

However, other companies can manufacture products like UGG & shellac so long as they don't put TM on the label claiming that they are the TM'd business. So Bluesky can use the word shellac so long as they don't put Bluesky Shellac TM. Now this only covers the countries that it is registered in. If you TM something, it doesn't mean it covers the entire world. You could TM something in Australia and it can't be TM'd in UK or US.

Because counterfeiting is so rampant around the world, the only way to truly combat counterfeiting is not to buy fakes in the first place. TM'd companies can take legal action against these other manufacturers but it doesn't mean it'll get them off the market. There's always another company to take their place.

There is only ONE TRUE Shellac and that is CND. Bluesky is a knockoff brand.

Shellac is not a brand name. CND is a brand name.
Bluesky Shellac is NOT a knockoff. It is a different brand of shellac products.
No-one has ownership of "shellac".

So glad I read this post!! I had been looking on ebay and noticed the BlueSky Shellac and thought it was very cheap. I have just typed BlueSky Shellac onto the search box on ebay and there are LOADS of listings... this really should be banned. Anyway needless to say I am going to be booking onto the CND Shellac course tomorrow and ordering the genuine CND Shellac kit as well. Just a thought, does anyone have an idea how much the kit costs? Thanks :)

Lousie, Bluesky should not be banned. Shellac is not a BRAND owned by CND.

At the end of the day CND were the first to manufacture this innovative product and it is the original and best.

Bluesky is cashing in by producing another brand of shellac that is cheaper and inferior.
Copyright law is very complicated therefore we as tech's probably don't know what is trademarked and what isn't.

MarilynB either you have not filled out your profile properly when registering to add to this thread, but you do not seem to be an Industry professional, and would lead us to suspect you may have links to Bluesky you have not declared.

Please fill out your profile, and read the site rules.

Semantics aside any "shellac" product other than CND's is a knock off. These companies are attempting to mimic their technology and cashing in on their marketing.

DIYers can be excused. But Pros? Support the companies that put money back into development of systems that drive the industry forward and create a living for many of us. Not those on their coat tails.

If I received a "shellac" service other than CND I'd be getting an apology and a refund.

Hi,

I'm a nail tech and I've done some research into Bluesky Shellac and other Cheap gel polishes.

There a few people selling these in the Uk, the products come from China and don't following our cosmetic regulations here in Uk.

I've contacted trading standards in the UK and they are very clear that these nail product coming from China with proper EU certificates cannot be used or sold in the UK.

As China doesn't have the cosmetic regs we have it would be a big worry that the products coming from China are harmful to the nail.

As nail tech if anything goes wrong and the products damage the
nails then it is our fault for using products that aren't tested here.
Meaning we could be sued!

I've asked the Bluesky sellers in the UK for EU certificates but they couldn't supply them.

I won't buy, it's likely they should not be used in the EU and the sellers are selling them illegally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back