Difference between Bluesky Shellac and CND Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually doesn't matter whether it has shellac in it or not, it's a matter of trademarks. The reason why blue sky can call their shellac 'blue sky shellac' is because they are using that full phrase 'blue sky shellac' as their TM. If you decided to call something black sky shellac, you could apply for that name and if nobody else is using that name as a TM, then, you will probably get the registration. And it is my understanding that shellac is a hybrid gel, etc. it doesn't really matter if beetles died making the polish or not. That's just the point. People on the thread were talking about how some other companies were calling their products shellac. You can do a trademark search and see which companies have registered a name 'shellac' (on the USPTO trademark search) for example. For example CND have registered 'shellac', and so has another japanese company who make paints. CND have made an application for the phrase 'CND shellac'. And Bluesky shellac have also registered the name 'blue sky shellac'. So, that's just the way trade marking works.
Legalities aside, bluesky can call it what they want at the end of the day salons/techs that use this etc are fooling clients into thinking they are getting the original genuine shellac, it's down to us to educate them xx

No, actually, 'shellac' is a resin that has existed for ages. 'Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand... Shellac functions as a tough natural primer, sanding sealant, tannin-blocker, odour-blocker, stain, and high-gloss varnish.'- source, wikipedia.

So, if any company uses 'shellac' in their ingredients in the salon industry, it can be called shellac. Shellac is not a 'brand name' by any means. So, it will be very difficult for any company to get a registration on that name because you can imagine how many office actions they may have about it becoming a registration. I think that if CND were allowed to put 'R' behind that name, you should then say it is 'their brand'... however, it's not and other companies have used shellac in their gel formulas, so, it is simply a way of rebranding a high graded gel which has shellac in it. If they don't have shellac in it, using that name would be a bit of a con. So, it must have shellac in it, etc. Also, if a company has filed the name 'shellac' and declared their use of that name as a trademark application for registration, they must do so by territory (for example, if you register a name in the United states, it doesn't mean that you have that trademark world-wide, you actually have to file application to register that name in every country). And you can put 'TM' behind any name you use even if you haven't filed for registration. But, you cannot put 'R' behind the name unless it has the application has been accepted by the examiner, etc. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Yes! I knew it haha!

xxx

So, if any company uses 'shellac' in their ingredients in the salon industry, it can be called shellac. Shellac is not a 'brand name' by any means. So, it will be very difficult for any company to get a registration on that name because you can imagine how many office actions they may have about it becoming a registration. I think that if CND were allowed to put 'R' behind that name, you should then say it is 'their brand'... however, it's not and other companies have used shellac in their gel formulas, so, it is simply a way of rebranding a high graded gel which has shellac in it. If they don't have shellac in it, using that name would be a bit of a con. So, it must have shellac in it, etc.

This is just totally wrong. I can't quite believe that you have posted this? Where do you get your information from? As the UK Distributor for CND & CND Shellac, I can categorically let everyone on this site know, that this part of the post is absolutely untrue and you really need to stop posting about companies and brands with info you clearly know nothing about. :Scared:

Hausofhana - Shellac is the general name for this type of gel polish x
this is absolutely NOT true!!!:rolleyes:

Nicole333 - The word is taken because of the high shine and finish.
- THIS IS TOTALLY CORRECT!:D

Please PLEASE - if you are going to post on this site - make sure you are giving FACTS and not opinion. It confuses and it also HARMS!!! Be careful because you could find yourself in hot water by posting uninformed, untrue and incorrect comments!

So the word 'shellac' is trademarked by CND and therefore any use of that word by any other body is illegal?

So the word 'shellac' is trademarked by CND and therefore any use of that word by any other body is illegal?

Hana that's not what I said.

You said and I quote - Shellac is the general name for this type of gel polish. That is incorrect.

Shellac is the name CND chose for their Power Polish, just as Harmony chose Gelish for it's GEL Polish and Jessica chose GELeration for their GEL Polish and... GELlak, GELlac with a 'c', GELosophy, I could go on with 44 other GEL style names (yes 44 although who knows by tomorrow there maybe 45 :wink2:)... there are many out there. My point is Shellac is NOT a general name for GEL polish it is the name for CND's Power Polish and GEL polishes generally call themselves something with the word GEL in it.

HTH's!:hug:

What Do you mean by legit?

The only people authorised to sell in the UK are Sweet Squared and their partners. I don't believe this site is one of those partners.

So that would be a no. Not legit in that sense.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is correct. That site is not authorised to sell in the UK and so is doing so illegally, as a result, anyone buying from there would likely be invalidating their insurance too.

hi all,this is my first time actually posting on here,altho i have been a member for a while and look here for advise and tips,(so thankyou for that)i have bought the bluesky shellac (i thought it was the original and was getting a bargain lol) i have tried it on a few of my friends and so far so good,there is a webpage for it and it does actually say that it isnt cnd ,i havnt had any problems with it so far it applies well and the colours are nice but i will see after 14 days on their nails and let you know, jackie xx

hi all,this is my first time actually posting on here,altho i have been a member for a while and look here for advise and tips,(so thankyou for that)i have bought the bluesky shellac (i thought it was the original and was getting a bargain lol) i have tried it on a few of my friends and so far so good,there is a webpage for it and it does actually say that it isnt cnd ,i havnt had any problems with it so far it applies well and the colours are nice but i will see after 14 days on their nails and let you know, jackie xx

WHY?????

Do you know what is in this product that you are placing on people's nails? You wont be covered by insurance first of all, that's if you are trained- if you are trained then you are extremely irresponsible in buying this fake shellac.

Just because they say it's not cnd shellac, they have the same bottle design,same colours,same names!!! If their cheap chinese product Is that amazing,why have they not brought out their own packaging and names of the colours and colours instead of copying CND???

Also if you have been a member for a while you would realise the dangers of buying knock off crap and why you shouldnt be buying it.

If you want to do shellac then at least get the real deal and not the fake stuff just to save a few pounds. Seriously!

thankyou for your reply,i am a trained nail tech and i do have insurance,i havnt tried this product on a client only on my friend and my sister as i had already bought it before i realized it was a fake,i have read some of the posts on here but not all of them as i dont know how to use forums,this was my first post and its took me ages to find it again, while i was trying to find it i came accross other posts about the bluesky,had i seen these posts before i may have thought twice about trying it on my friend,i thouht everyone on here is on the same side and here to help one another with tips and advise, not judge .

I just read this and had to comment - Jolly Jack, welcome to commenting and sorry you felt judged - I think the response to your post was really quite harsh and sorry, but I did cringe when I read it. While I understand the point being made about buying fake products, I do think sometimes people forget it may take a geek a fair bit of courage to write something on here, not everyone is comfortable doing such things. I'm not saying pussy foot around each other, but slightly less abrupt wouldn't go a miss.

Jolly Jack, please don't be put off commenting again - the best thing to do is use your search function at the top of the page as there is a whole heap of great discussions and threads on every topic you can think of and if you still can't find the answers or advice you need, ask away! X

thankyou so much for your reply,il be honest the reply i got yesterday completly put me off posting anything again,it made me feel stupid and knocked my confidence a bit,sometimes i feel like im out of my league on here thats why iv never posted before,plus i dont know how to find my way round it properly lol,but thankyou for your comments i feel a whole lot better :Grope:

I just read this and had to comment - Jolly Jack, welcome to commenting and sorry you felt judged - I think the response to your post was really quite harsh and sorry, but I did cringe when I read it. While I understand the point being made about buying fake products, I do think sometimes people forget it may take a geek a fair bit of courage to write something on here, not everyone is comfortable doing such things. I'm not saying pussy foot around each other, but slightly less abrupt wouldn't go a miss.

Jolly Jack, please don't be put off commenting again - the best thing to do is use your search function at the top of the page as there is a whole heap of great discussions and threads on every topic you can think of and if you still can't find the answers or advice you need, ask away! X

I'm sorry but this is rubbish.

Surely as a qualified nail tech then first of all you always do your research to what product you are actually buying. In researching bluesky shellac you would of noticed that is fake.

Obviously the poster was looking for a cheap way to purchase the shellac and in turn she brought a knock off.

If she wanted to buy shellac then as said every day on here s2 or ellisons or an authorised distributor is the place to buy not a cheap website or eBay.

Something's need to be said abruptly as the poster does not know what is in these knock off products. She does not know what she is putting on family and friends. It doesn't make a difference whether she doesn't use it on clients or not. The fact is she still brought it and used it and then praises it.

This is a pro forum not a place to praise a company that copies products and runs off someone else's idea. If she wants shellac then buy it from the proper company and use it properly. If not then don't use it.

Not really the end of the world is it? She bought it un knowingly (maybe should have researched) and only did it on a friend and family member (they didn't die from it!) not a paying client. Don't really see the fuss of someone trying it once and don't really see why it should cause such an outburst. To the poster.. Don't take any of this personally, and don't be afraid to post again :)

Not really the end of the world is it? She bought it un knowingly (maybe should have researched) and only did it on a friend and family member (they didn't die from it!) not a paying client. Don't really see the fuss of someone trying it once and don't really see why it should cause such an outburst. To the poster.. Don't take any of this personally, and don't be afraid to post again :)

What if they did come out with a severe reaction. Its all well and good saying they didn't but what If they did, it would be a different post all together.

My point was, there is no need to be so rude to someone who tried out a product and bought it without realising it was the real deal. I have been in the industry a long time and still am able to give advice in a friendly way. I read it and thought "ouch, that was harsh" and I'm a hardened toughy!! We all need to remember that everyone can make a mistake, I'm sure we've all taken short cuts at times and then realised its not the best thing to do - surely a friendly response would have been better?! The last thing we want is people being too afraid to post on here for fear of being shot down and made to look stupid.

What if it started raining gumdrops? What if is a fairly pointless phrase, nothing bad did happen so it's not a major problem is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back