Dilemma, need help renting a room conflict

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
Hello,

Long story.

I rent a room from a lady who I don't get on with, she is a hairdresser and rents a large space with 5 rooms and a hairdressing space in a large gym, there are other self employed people who offer different trades ...when I started she used to have an employed beauty therapist, but told me she doesn't want the responsibility any more as she didn't have the time or commitment and wasn't busy, which is why she is giving it to someone else and for me to rent and continue as it was my own buisness ect there would be a few clientele that used to come to the previous therapist which she said is there waiting for me, so I jumped at the opportunity!

I have done lots of advertising and built up my own clientele since being there, now when I am unavailable or unwell she takes it upon herself to ask her apprentices to do treatments on my clients behind my back in my room space that I rent! She has some old stock left over but I am pretty sure she has used my stuff! This has happened twice since I've been there!

I have a close friend who also works there who has told me today that she asked her if she would do one of my clients Eye lash tints as I wasn't there to do it which then she would pocket the money! To say I'm fuming is an understatement! The woman is sly and two faced and I've had enough of her!

I wanted to know where I stand could I go above her and speak to the gym about my situation, as I really don't want to have anything to do with her, I didn't know if me and her came to blows if she could just throw me out as she rents the space from the gym and I rent from her there is no contract in place, I'm really hoping you can give me the answer I'm looking for because I really enjoy where I am I've been really successful so far and worked hard to get where I am.

Many thanks :) X

What answers are you looking for?
I'm not sure what advice you're asking us for, is she being underhand and sly? yes, is she within her rights to do those things? no, of course not.

But ultimately what do you want to do about it?

If it's get her to stop then you need to man up and approach her directly, the gym won't be interested, you rent your space from her not them so what happens within her business is nothing to do with them, and as you've already said there is no contract in place so you are on sticky ground anyway.

You need to approach it professionally, not overly emotionally even though I know you're angry and feel betrayed, this is business so needs to be approached calmly. Ask for a meeting with her in private, the others renting space do not need to be involved in your issues (unless it directly affects them too). Let her know that you've been told about the situations (not who told you, don't burn your sources) and that you feel it's unacceptable and could she ensure it doesn't happen again in future. It won't be a pleasant conversation but that doesn't mean it doesn't need doing or saying, and sooner rather than later or this will fester and things will get worse.

Then I would also suggest locking away your stock/materials/tools/etc. when you are not there.

Thanks for your reply, I will approach the situation as I know it needs to be spoke about, I didn't know if it was worth having the general manager as a witness when booking a meeting and talking about my concerns and asking for a contract?

It's just a matter of how I go about it as there needs to be a contract in place, and yes she is being sly and underhand and pocketing the money whilst using my products and my room space.

At the end of the end of the day I still want to work there I just wish people wouldn't cause confrontation and I could just get on with my work without the worry I'm being stabbed in the back xx

I have approached her about the situation before when i first started as she done it then and told me it wouldn't happen again, but then is still doing it on the sly

Ahh you've kinda snookered yourself in by not having a contract. The fact you dont get on with her, will only make matters worse. I personally suggest in safeguarding yourself to ensure you get a contract or lock your room. If none of these options are available run give your notice and run for the hills.

Put a yale lock on your door and get a contract with terms you are both happy with, if you can't do this or she won't give you a contract get out of there!

I would personally run for the hills too. This won't ever end well because she has you by the short and curlies, she's not a nice person, she doesn't care about you and confronting her won't end well for you. I have been in a similar situation myself before, I confronted the person from whom I subletted for unreasonable behaviour and she got rid of me.

I learned my lesson, moved on and now have a busy thriving beauty business. Never, ever agree on something as fundamental as where you run your business from without having it in black and white.

Latest posts

Back