Do I need a Data Protection Licence???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoSu

Reaction score
If we are keeping record cards of client's personal details, do we all need a data protection licence and if so where do you apply for one, how much does it cost, etc?

Don't know any other therapists in my area who have one yet keep a plentiful supply of client records.

Thanks

As far as I am aware you need to register with them if you have these details stored on a computer xxx

You don't have to register if you only keep the records needed for the purpose of your business and you do not keep them for longer than what is required, 3 years is usually the limit.

You must ensure that all your staff know not to disclose or use any information for anything other than the needs of your business. The computer or paper records should be locked or password protected.

You can call them but I doubt they will make you register, if you do its about £35

Kate

I did call the ICO when I started out & they advised that as the information required was relevent for the purpose of providing treatments (or not in the case of contra-indications) there was no need to register. They just asked me to not disclose any of the data that I have collected & to be responsible with it e.g.keep it safe.

Em x

When we first opened our salon we recieved a scary letter sayin we needed this and it was quite an outlay. I phoned our solicitor and he looked into it and told us to rip up the letter as we didnt need it! THANK GOODNESS!!!! xx

Thanks guys,

There's sooo much to think about when starting up so I just want to cover all avenues. Will ask my solicitor for advice just to clarify.

Latest posts

Back