Do I need PAT testing on my home salon equipment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Just getting ready to set up, and just wondering if by law i must get my electrics tested yearly and display that little green "passed" sticker on them? do i have to do this by law???

If they are out of warranty or more than 12 months old then yes you in line with your insurance policy

hth

Just getting ready to set up, and just wondering if by law i must get my electrics tested yearly and display that little green "passed" sticker on them? do i have to do this by law???

If you are a commercial operation where the general public come into ....you need to have a NICEIC fixed wiring certificate every 5 years and a PAT test on all electrical appliances every 12 months.
Beter safe than sorry :hug:

I am actually in a small home salon no employees, just me.

Got told i didnt need it, but not by a professional.

The electrical equipment will only be touched by me, i haven't got any equipment that will be directly used on a client, such as Non -surgical face lift machines, so i dont think i will need it.

Does it cost?

xx

I am actually in a small home salon no employees, just me.

Got told i didnt need it, but not by a professional.

The electrical equipment will only be touched by me, i haven't got any equipment that will be directly used on a client, such as Non -surgical face lift machines, so i dont think i will need it.

Does it cost?

xx

unfortunately it doesn't matter from where you work from and that the customers don't use the equipment you do still need a PAT test.

It does cost and if someone comes out to your premises to do the testing it obviously costs much less if you take the equipment into the tester.

I believe HSS hire do PAT testing and its reasonably cheap...maybe give them a call :hug:

For all you therapists out there PAT is a law and you do need your equipment certifying each year weather you have a mobile spray tan machine,a UV nail lamp, couch lamp,spot light in your spray tent,any larger equipment or anything that plugs into a socket in a salon,your home or someone else's home.

If you take your equipment into the likes of HSS hire shops it really is only a few quid :hug:

PAT testing only costs about £1.50 to £3 for each item.

Because you are a home salon or a one man band doesn't mean the law doesn't apply to you. You are running a professional business and that means acting professionally and legally too.

unfortunately it doesn't matter from where you work from and that the customers don't use the equipment you do still need a PAT test.

It does cost and if someone comes out to your premises to do the testing it obviously costs much less if you take the equipment into the tester.

I believe HSS hire do PAT testing and its reasonably cheap...maybe give them a call :hug:

For all you therapists out there PAT is a law and you do need your equipment certifying each year weather you have a mobile spray tan machine,a UV nail lamp, couch lamp,spot light in your spray tent,any larger equipment or anything that plugs into a socket in a salon,your home or someone else's home.

If you take your equipment into the likes of HSS hire shops it really is only a few quid :hug:

PAT testing only costs about £1.50 to £3 for each item.

Because you are a home salon or a one man band doesn't mean the law doesn't apply to you. You are running a professional business and that means acting professionally and legally too.
I know I have to get PAT tested as I found this out when I was at college. Am not yet fully operational so have delayed. Thing is, I don't even know whom to approach to get this done.... electrical shop? Local Electrician? Local council for a list of people who do it?

This is great information. Can you advise please using full wording as I don't know what the abbreviations mean Collin :lol:. I'm a helpless woman after all :lol:.

If you look in the yellow pages for electrical testing there will be loads. Also try and get a recommendation from someone else and use a small local company. It really is a rip off because it only means its safe at the moment its tested and unfortunately some testers make up tests to be fast as they often get paid per test themselves.

Even if you only have a few items they will probably have a call out fee plus price per items or it wouldn't be worth their while.

Yellow Pages. If you know an electrician, ask if they have the equipment and licence to do the PAT tests for you - they may be cheaper.:hug:

This is great information. Can you advise please using full wording as I don't know what the abbreviations mean Collin :lol:. I'm a helpless woman after all :lol:.

PAT= Portable Appliance Test
HSS is probably the cheapest...and no its not a rip off ...if someone gets a shock from an appliance you are using on them..a spray machine..nail UV lamp..and you haven't got a PAT cert....oh dear your in deep trouble:eek:..also if you are randomly inspected by the local authority you will be fined...also isn't it appropriate and right that you use electrical equipment on the paying general public that has been tested to be safe :hug:

PAT testing forms part of the Electricity at work act and is therefore Law...don't break it and by having the tests done both you and your customers are as safe as is possible :hug:

What I meant by being a rip off is that people assume that equipment is safe just because it has been PAT tested and they have there certificate.
I realise that it is a legal requirement and that is why I have paid to have it done myself and would always recommend others to do so.
I still personally think its a rip off as I know various people who do it and you aren't always getting the safety test that you may think you are.

i like this topic - i myself am about to finish college on monday and i use uv lamps and maybe investing in a nail drill and would like to be on the safe side :D - silly question but do you need things like extension cables tested aswell or not? x

silly question but do you need things like extension cables tested aswell or not? x
Yes, everything that can be plugged into a mains socket has to be PAT tested

jes

If there are any West Mids/Coventry/Brum/Warwickshire geeks I can highly recommend my friend who is a sparkey, she has done all my PAT testing and is brilliant very reasonable too.
hth

I would be interested in your friends details Tonilee, am based in stratford and getting ready to open my home salon.

Do you know whether I'd need to do the testing before I open or can I do it in a couple of months time? Just thinking of cashflow.

Thx

Latest posts

Back