Do I need to train in Anatomy and Physiology?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam c

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I currently run my own mobile business doing Nails and Waxing, I am also going to be offering spraytanning at the end of the month after doing my training. I would really love to do massage but I find that most massage courses require anatomy and physiology and I cannot find anywhere that does this course alone. Does anybody know of a course I can go on that is near my area as I am really keen to do this?

Sam C xxx

No I think you need A & P for any massage course. I think A & P goes way to deep for what you need to know to perform a massage, but it will teach you the muscle structures as well as the fuction of the lymph etc which is all essential if you are going to do massage.

You could do a correspondence course for the A&P and I think BSY do it.

Its worth ringing around a few course providers as things may have changed since I trained. The courses may include A&P in and others may require you to do a pre-requisite course!

Either way its worth being trained properly, if not for your own professionalism but also for your insurance.

Good Luck!

Hi Sam...

I can't imagine you would be able to do a massage course without A&P, you could probably get on one of those 1 or 2 day courses that are non accredited (just for fun and not for business jobbies) but then that wont help you if you want to incorporate this in your business... And I can't imagine any insurance company covering you without a relevant A&P qualification...

I'm just completing my VTCT Level 3 diploma in Swedish Massage, and with my course the A&P is included within in it, it is very in depth both in the classroom and loads of brain scrambling homework too! The course has been just short of a year long. As No1Kitty has said, you could also do the A&P seperately by home correspondance courses, but this could end up costing you more money than you need to pay out. Although a year long, my course cost me just over £300 (last year) and that is including the Health, Safety, Security & Employment Standards Diploma, VTCT registrations and examination fees :) Some of these home correspondance charge nearly that figure just for the A&P!

Hope this helps, can thoroughly recommend learning massage.. I'm hooked!

J Xx

Didn`t you take Anatomy and Physiology with your nails and waxing courses

Didn`t you take Anatomy and Physiology with your nails and waxing courses

I think different courses cover different aspects of A+P, i.e. Nails just covers hands and feet. If you were to do the full A+P stand-alone qualification, it can be applied to any course as far as i know, but your tutor may ask you to bring your workbook in along with certificate to check it.

Thanks Ju Ju , The course you have taken sounds like the kind of thing I want to do as I would like to fully understand massage and be able to offer the best service I possibly can. Do you need to take any other qualifications before doing this course at Level 3 or can you just go straight in and start there? I have done nails and waxing but have not done beauty level 2 .
Sam xx

No worries Sam :)

You should be able to go straight into a Level 3 Massage course)... I got straight onto the VTCT Level 3 course with no previous beauty therapy knowledge or experience... Most of the girls on my course have come from a Beauty Environment so they had a head start on me with the A&P (You'll probably find the same having studied nails and waxing before that you'll pick it up fast as you''ll have already have done work on lymphatics, muscles and bones etc) And there are also plenty of good websites and books that help you out... One of my faves is the BBC's Science and Nature Website, some great interactive leaning tools on there

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Anatomy - Muscle Anatomy

The best thing is with this course is that because it covers so much and is a good known and accepted qualification, once you've finished you'll be able to tag all the more advanced massage courses on top of it, like hot stone, thai etc etc... If you wanted to go into Sports Massage then you would have to go even deeper into A&P and that course would be another year or so in college... I am also finding the A&P that I have learned so far is making it much easier for me to pick up and understand the other courses and it also appears to be a good enough entry requirement to do some intensive courses too... As Justin Lee Collins would say... GOOD TIMES :D

Hope you do the course it's great... Plus you get to have a free massage every week!! Well thats up until you start getting the external clients in anyway... But the great thing I find about massage, is that it is almost as releaxing to give than receive!

J Xx

Latest posts

Back