Do lash extensions damage your own lashes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I do lash lifts but a couple of client's are asking (pleading lol) for me to do lash extensions. I'm concerned that they damage your own lashes.

Can anyone clarify if they do?

Are there any type of lash extensions that don't?

Or is it client abuse that does the damage? (A bit like nails)

I need to know what I'm in for before booking training!

Just like nails, It's all down to good products and application.

If applied correctly, then new lashes will be able to grow normally.
If however you glue everything together then old lashes won't be able to fall and new ones won't grow normally. Not to mention, that clients sometimes pick on the glued lashes trying to make them look better I guess or to comb them, hence more breakage.
Also, you will need to learn a bit about sizes and thickness, because very heavy lashes tend to put a strain on your natural ones, forcing them to come off.
You can always learn the Russian volume which uses very thin mink lashes and the total weight is lower than classic individual lashes.
But it's really worth going through with it. You can't go wrong with it once you've mastered the skill

Thanks asteropi

The Russian lashes sound interesting, do you know if there's a separate course for them or if it's a standard lash extension course then you just buy different products?

Thanks asteropi

The Russian lashes sound interesting, do you know if there's a separate course for them or if it's a standard lash extension course then you just buy different products?

Not lash trained but from what I've read on here you have to be classic lash trained and then russian/volume lash trained.

I'm in the process of looking into lash courses myself

Thanks louisekjh

Thanks asteropi

As Louise said after me, you need to train in classic lashes first, master it as it too can be tricky when you start, then go for Russian volume

Products are different too.
Classic lashes use thickness of 0,15 0,20 and 0,25. There is also 0,10 but that's sort of a between stage between Russian and classic and I've never used it to be honest. Materials are silk and mink, prefer the artificial ones, rather than the natural ones for a whole lot of reasons I'm sure you'll find in this forum somewhere
Russian volume uses mink in 0,05-0,06-0,07 etc where you attach 2-3-4-5-6 together and then glue them on the natural lash. So for example 2*0,07=0,14, less than a single 0,15, less weight and less strain but more lashes.

I haven't done the Russian course myself as I can't find one where I live, so I hope I've helped you with even my limited knowledge.

As long as good thorough training is done and the application is done correctly and aftercare followed then no they don't cause any damage :). I trained with Flirties and their training was so detailed and thorough.
When done properly the natural Lash is isolated and a lash extension is applied (but the extension is only as heavy as the natural Lash can take) so when that Lash grows and sheds it takes the extension with it and a new baby Lash replaces it.
I'd certainly advise training in classic first then volume. Volume is so much more trickier. But with classic you can do advanced classic lashes where you layer and cap them to add volume :) x
It's one of my most popular treatments and I've only been lashing a year and half x

Latest posts

Back