Do you still offer nail varnish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't lol
But just wondered how many of us use just gel- polish, and have completely phased out normal nail varnish (I'd like to but still have a few ladies who like it)
Or maybe if you're newer to nails you never bothered with nail varnish in the first place?
If you have phased it out, do you regret it or have any thoughts on it?
For me, when I started doing acrylics nearly 14 years ago, gel polish hadn't been invented and nail varnish was an integral part of the service and included in the price. Add to that the 10 mins where they sit "drying" and you can imagine why just offering gel polish (and charging for it, if in addition to acrylics) is an attractive proposition!
Any thoughts? X

I still offer regular polish and surprisingly it's still really popular! I personally don't understand why people still want it but it's their choice I suppose. X

I have over 200 nail polish choices available to my clients and they are very popular. Pedicures are mostly regular nail polish, when done right it lasts a long time.

I still offer standard polish with my manicures, but I haven't done one since Christmas where I had a few clients just wanting nice nails for their Christmas dues.

I use my polishes still for stamping, don't really buy any new ones though.

I stock about 100 Vinylux colours as I roughly do:

Manicures 10% polish. 90% shellac
Pedicures 90% polish 10% Shellac

Clients who have Vinylux manicures do so because they can't get to me very often and they can remove it at home easily
Clients have Vinylux on their toes because it lasts just as long as shellac and still looks very shiney. Also they can remove it themselves if needed but to be honest it's usually still on perfectly 2 months later for me to take off!

Last edited:
When I started up by myself I knew I didn't want to invest in normal polish and factored it into my pricing as standard with all Acrylic services.

At the salon I worked at previously we had boxes of standard polish which were never used - in the two years I worked there I did about 3 file and polishes!

No polish for me 100% shellac

I think I've used regular polish twice in the last 2 years...

I only use Shellac but I've only recently qualified.

This is a great question! I have over 200 nail polishes as I got into nails by doing nail art to ease my insomnia boredom. I've recently done a clean of all the old gloopy polishes but I don't want to bin them! I don't have any clients really just some one offs but I have decided to start using them on my own nails, as I end up changing them so regularly to save from all the removal hassle. I've also just got back into stamping and don't have any stamping polishes yet so my polishes are great for practising! X

I've only been qualified since January. I only offer gel polish

I offer vinylux; it's used almost exclusively for my pedicures.

In the last 8 months since I moved, I've done two polish manicures.

I still have a need for polish as well as gel.
I use Vinylux in most of my pedicures, and only use Shellac for toenails around 10% of the time.
I also have some ladies who still prefer nail polish manicures, especially if their nails aren't in the best condition for Shellac, and also the older ladies who don't like the idea of gel.

Mostly my older clients like 50+ still insist on acrylics done with paint over the top, no matter how much you convince them of the benefit of gel polish they won't firstly pay secondly don't believe it's better. Sooo I won't be buying more polishes once mine finish I have 2 full stands of opi and Essie so over 200+ colours. Then 80 gel polish colours and 80 gels. So there are still colours clients don't have. It they want, so I guess some can never win!

I offer Morgan Taylor polishes with REACT base and top coat for extended wear. They do last with pedicures.

I'm allergic to gels and acrylics so I can only wear regular polish. I'd be stuffed if my regular beautician stopped doing them completely but I can understand that maybe it's no longer a viable service for many salons. :(

Good candidate for dips.

I doubt this to be true Joe, the dipping systems still use acrylate powders which is what most people who are allergic to gels and acrylics and allergic too, I would tread very carefully with dipping systems with someone with an allergy!

I do about 30% Vinylux, 50% Shellac and 20% enhancements :)

It's still very popular for me and I also retail alot of it to clients

I am salon based and I do find that alot of student who work from home just don't have the same demand as those who work in salons :)

Good candidate for dips.

It's the acrylates in the products that cause my problems. I'm think you'll find them in most, if not all nail enhancement products.

Latest posts

Back