Do you think I'm crazy, new salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjo

Reaction score
iv decided to open my own brow and nail bar.
After a lot of research, i feel pretty clued up on what im doing.

I have no savings and am just going to scrape together solicitor fees by selling things at a car boot.

I have all the products I need and will keepy eye on ebay and freecycle for furnishing.

There's a lot to be said for, when you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

If this all goes wrong, I don't have anything to lose, I rent and have no assets, worse case I could end up bankrupt.

If this is successful, i will have something to leave my daughter :)

Am i a total loon

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

No you're not. I say "If you change nothing, nothing changes". I have built my business up from scratch. It makes me laugh when people say you need £20,000 to refurbish a shop - i did it with under £3000! I have 2 daughters, and one has now followed me into the business - we work together a lot which is great, and I hope to have something that she can inherit, so the very best of luck x

Glad to know im not alone in wanting to do this! I am I Very similar position and am still debating that final move. The plave I am looking at will require a bit more work to make It useable but I think im going to do it :)
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Go for it, eBay is a great resource and a lot is in the finishing. I designed my studio on my computer and my husband created it for me. Professional builders have seen the finish and said that it's easily a £20k+ refurb! I didn't have that kind of money and was just resourceful and maybe a bit lucky as it was around a quarter of that with underfloor heating, kahrs flooring, quality washroom, new internal walls and frontage, oh and furniture etc.

Take a look at the transformation and it's changing again to accommodate my nail studio and projector is going in today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYs8jDfdUg

I'm thinking about the possibility of growing the beauty side of the business and recruiting someone to work for me. Lots to do before then, like building a solid client base and the demand!!

Go for it and keep us updated xx

What's your current situation? How long have you been in this business? Are you renting a space? Do you have a solid client list? Are you always booked? You say you don't have savings and don't currently have the funds for solicitors fees, presumably not for a shop fit out either, how are you going to find that? How are you going to fund marketing?

Do you have lots of salon experience and business knowledge?

I understand you've done a lot of research but it's a huge step to go from having enough stock to full salon.

Glad to know im not alone in wanting to do this! I am I Very similar position and am still debating that final move. The plave I am looking at will require a bit more work to make It useable but I think im going to do it :)
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

That's such great news, congratulations. Will you be done for summer trip down south!!!

That's such great news, congratulations. Will you be done for summer trip down south!!!

Thankyou. Being realistic I think it will be the latter part of the year. As much as I would love to be able to turn it around that quick I plan to sit the summer months out where I am, I get a lot of passing trade so I will be working as much as I can and taking advantage whilst saving the pennies!

Go for it!!
I did the same last Year. I found a place to rent, ideal location. It needed loads doing to it so I had a word with my landlord who agreed to let me do it up before starting my contract :)
I opened up my hair salon in October and just about to open up my beauty room upstairs in a few weeks :). Best thing I ever did,
Good luck xx

i trained in 1996, but have only done beauty as a full time job for 18 months.

I have a client base, business experience; loads of customer service experience as well as accounts experience.

my step dad is a handy man and will help with my decorating, the property im looking at is in pretty good condition.

I have enough money to apply for change of use etc.

the only large equipment i would need is a barbers chair everything else i have. i would need waiting chairs but freecycle is good for that sort of thing.
x

I would say go for it if the location is right.
Just make sure you have enough money for the promotion costs and opening costs. Leaflets, Cards, signage etc :)

i trained in 1996, but have only done beauty as a full time job for 18 months.

I have a client base, business experience; loads of customer service experience as well as accounts experience.

my step dad is a handy man and will help with my decorating, the property im looking at is in pretty good condition.

I have enough money to apply for change of use etc.

the only large equipment i would need is a barbers chair everything else i have. i would need waiting chairs but freecycle is good for that sort of thing.
x

finances have settled at home, so that's a good thing.

statistically im unlikely to live past 50, im 33 it's now or never.

Am i being too blase

It sounds to me like you have thought it through more than it first came across.

So long as you think you have what it takes to make it work and you think it ha potential it sounds fab.

if it wasn't for all you lovely geeks iv no idea where i would be right know, doubt id be considering opening my own salon.

Thank you x x

Hey congrats on your decision. I'm in the same boat single mum currently running a beauty room and I've just found premises that needs a lot of work but I won't be hiring a builder me and my friends are gonna have painting parties my dad can have paint made up for free for me and get all painting equipment for me, and I'm gonna get all furnishings from eBay etc etc. I'm also hoping to open in the lata part of the year. My business plan will be finished next week (currently 20 pages long!) so just gonna go try for finance. I'm the same as you have nothing to lose and if it works something to pass on to my baby :) best of luck to you Hun x x

statistically im unlikely to live past 50, im 33 it's now or never.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek[/QUOTE]

Why 50? ( worried) what stats are they?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

I was in the same boat as you. Renting a room but going nowhere. Kept driving past a shop and my husband kept saying go and look at it! So I did! Seven months on I am the proud opener of a nail & tanning salon. I have also started renting space to two hairdressers who were in a similar situation. They too have risked everything to make a go of it.

I have nothing to lose and no assets. Reckless? Maybe but with my husband working away weeks on end and 3 children we needed another option.

Their have been times when I thought stuff it, but I know I can make it work. I have to! It's been a really hard few months juggling kids and work. It's starting to pick up but I hope it's not just because we are going into summer.

Go for it, you only get one shot at life!

congratulations to you both, i hope your really successful.

think im going to go for it x x

we have a genetic disease in the family, took my nan and dad, iv tested positive, so will develop symptoms as some point.

But healthy as a horse for now :)

Go for it, even the most successful businesses have started somewhere and I'm sure Richard Branson had doubts lol, its scary but exciting, you have nothing too lose and everything too gain. Good luck and keep us posted xxx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using SalonGeek

Quick question ladies....How do you pay your home rent/mortgage?

I really want my own spray tanning studio but I'm living with my boyfriend and if I take the step of opening my own business how will I pay my rent and bills?
We arnt married or engaged and I don't think he would be willing to support me financially (I live in London, its expensive to live here!)

Latest posts

Back